SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

So for this weekend in St. Cloud we are potentially looking at

Kristo, Nelson, and ?

Gaarder, MacMillan, and ?

Senkbeil, Pattyn, and ?

Rowney, Lamoreaux, and Gleason

Panzarella, Mattson, Simpson, Mcwilliam,?, and ?

Looks like enough for 3 lines and 2 pairs of D.

Too bad college hockey doesn't allow Mr. MacWilliam to give Mr. Alt a little "face time". Apparently he's earned it.

never like to see checks from behind. especially ones that cause injury. alt probably did earn a little "face time" with macwilliam. about as much as kristo earned for his hit friday night.

So for this weekend in St. Cloud we are potentially looking at

Kristo, Nelson, and ?

Gaarder, MacMillan, and ?

Senkbeil, Pattyn, and ?

Rowney, Lamoreaux, and Gleason

Panzarella, Mattson, Simpson, Mcwilliam,?, and ?

Looks like enough for 3 lines and 2 pairs of D.

This is going to get like City League basketball where you pull guys out of the stands if you're short a player, Hak poring over craigslist under the "skater boy" category as we speak.

I think taking the A away is a big price to pay. I am sure that hurts more than sitting a game. Blood is not a cheap player and if you

have watched him for 4 years you know that. After few cheap shots on him he lost his temper. Right No. People need to calm down and put it in the past. Its a rough year just think how the players feel right now when they can't even feel out a lineup. Young men will do dumb things as long as they learn from it and not let it happen again I think we can give him a break.

• Upvote 3

Glad to see action taken by Hakstol in the Blood situation. Knew something was coming from the team, now its time to see if the WCHA will have anything to say about it.

UND player hurt on an illegal hit from behind......and Alt won't miss a shift....

Here's hoping the NCHC sets up a formal review process to consider suspensions on hits - like the NHL has - as the only way to move toward fairness in the process.

Here's hoping the future head of officials in the NCHC declines to interview Don Adam.

That’s right, people are calling for a review of this incident, but there isn't precedence for it. There is no transparency, in this league what-so-ever. It's blatant cronyism, we have a whole family of Shepherds starting with Greg and their buddies ruining a once great hockey league, because none of these buffoons can ref a game per the rule book, Sprig posted on my blog that he counted 5 CFB that went uncalled, I counted a few myself that went uncalled and that's unacceptable.

Someone will say, Goon, you're just bagging on the officials because you don't like them... Yep, but I ask you seriously, name one official that is any good in this league??? Lets Review the names... Todd Anderson, not even close, Don Adam, not!!! Marco and D-Shep are the best of the worst. If I have to watch Brad Shepherd screw up another game after the NCHC starts league play I am going to be disappointed.

The problem with this league is the refs and the leadership at the top, they are corrupt. These buffoons can get their officials to even call the game correctly and they look befuddled when there is a near brawl at the end of the game. Both Hand Shake games where a Gophers was pulled out of the handshake line was officiated by Don Adam. Coincidence? Both players at the end of the scrum should have been sent to the dressing rooms. The only thing that is consistent about the way the games are called is they are called poorly both ways. Enough is enough...

Edited by Goon

Agree 100%!

And for the record this is why you're not the head coach... The team is shorthanded enough the way it is. Did you forget that Derek Forbort is injured? Blood will be punished enough internally within the team and the "media" in addition to you will not know the off-on ice discipline actions taking place.

Having him sit out on Friday displays a lacking of "moving forward" and also puts a whole banged up/young Sioux team in jeopardy.

Have to say, I think it's interesting between MN and UND's approach to the aftermath of the weekend and how it's perceived by the public. Hakstol and staff send a strong message in a very public way for a skirmish (no player-danger at all) by revoking Blood's 'A' and subjecting him to further disciplinary action -- a skirmish we all know didn't occur without provocation, albeit it was still in poor taste. They also likely strongly suggest that Kristo apologize (I don't think he took this action on his own). And in most peoples eyes, owning up to and addressing these issues after a frustrating weekend are just proof that UND's a 'Goon' team - especially to most Gopher fans.

The Gophers on the other hand take several dangerous runs in an attempt to be a 'physical team', some which were called and others that werent, leading to at least two injuries in what could easily have been more - and their approach is complete avoidance to the issue while redirecting to UNDs behavior. No admittance of wrong, apologies, or owning up to the illegal hits and chirping all weekend. Both teams made mistakes, the Gophers definitely aren't above reproof, yet to most reading the articles now and certainly to most Gopher fans, what's seen and what will be remembered is the 'proof' of UNDs fault being admitted by Kristo's apology and Blood's loss of the 'A'. Whereas the team and fans that refuse to admit their team was just as 'in the wrong' won't even be remembered except to UND fans, who we've already established are just being homers because UND was at fault.

Guess that's rivalries for you. Glad to see Hak working to instill the right culture of ownership and class in his team, and sending a strong message here - even if other teams don't follow the same principles. Also hope they give Blood the chance to earn back the 'A' in his senior year - I'd like to think his being the backbone of this team in tough times early on and leadership through the rest of the year have earned him the chance to make up for one stupid, momentary choice.

• Upvote 1

... his being the backbone of this team in tough times early on and leadership through the rest of the year ...

No doubt he is the rock on which this team is built. For coming back for his senior year we owe a debt of gratitude.

If you call for Hansen to get some sort of suspension it's like saying Macwilliam should get one for trying to cross check Rau behind the net after the first goal, it's in this video. He also tried to level Bjugstad right after he scored but that was so close to the puck going in there's not much you can say about it.

Neither the Hansen nor Macwilliam incident are tasteful to the opposing teams side, but neither warrant suspension or anything. The absolute worst each of them would have been is 2 minutes if they were called.

Have to say, I think it's interesting between MN and UND's approach to the aftermath of the weekend and how it's perceived by the public. Hakstol and staff send a strong message in a very public way for a skirmish (no player-danger at all) by revoking Blood's 'A' and subjecting him to further disciplinary action -- a skirmish we all know didn't occur without provocation, albeit it was still in poor taste. They also likely strongly suggest that Kristo apologize (I don't think he took this action on his own). And in most peoples eyes, owning up to and addressing these issues after a frustrating weekend are just proof that UND's a 'Goon' team - especially to most Gopher fans.

The Gophers on the other hand take several dangerous runs in an attempt to be a 'physical team', some which were called and others that werent, leading to at least two injuries in what could easily have been more - and their approach is complete avoidance to the issue while redirecting to UNDs behavior. No admittance of wrong, apologies, or owning up to the illegal hits and chirping all weekend. Both teams made mistakes, the Gophers definitely aren't above reproof, yet to most reading the articles now and certainly to most Gopher fans, what's seen and what will be remembered is the 'proof' of UNDs fault being admitted by Kristo's apology and Blood's loss of the 'A'. Whereas the team and fans that refuse to admit their team was just as 'in the wrong' won't even be remembered except to UND fans, who we've already established are just being homers because UND was at fault.

Guess that's rivalries for you. Glad to see Hak working to instill the right culture of ownership and class in his team, and sending a strong message here - even if other teams don't follow the same principles. Also hope they give Blood the chance to earn back the 'A' in his senior year - I'd like to think his being the backbone of this team in tough times early on and leadership through the rest of the year have earned him the chance to make up for one stupid, momentary choice.

There is so much wrong with this post I dont even know where to start. To claim that Hakstol is instilling the right culture of class is laughable. It all starts with him. He is THE reason why the Sioux act like the cheap hacks they are.

Hansen left the bench after the whistle, joined a scrum by slashing Blood from behind. Thats the part that sticks out. If he was on the ice and didnt come from the bench i would agree with the 2 min. I have watched a few of the gopher games this year and too say they only have problems agains UND is a joke. Mankato game vs the gopher and i could be wrong but didnt they have to skip the hand shake at the end because it was so heated. Also the Tech game was very heated with a lot of cheap shots taken. There were many cheap shots taken all weekend from both teams. But the gophers win the hitting from behind count.

Here is the hit that should have been a 5 minute major and a game misconduct, these are the types of hits that hockey is trying to illeminate this is what the NHL is cracking down on, not Don Adam though. I have a picture of the still frame on my blog but I can't figure out how to up load it. My good buddy GFG is defending this hit.

Edited by Goon

Here is the hit that should have been a 5 minute major and a game misconduct, these are the types of hits that hockey is trying to illeminate this is what the NHL is cracking down on, not Don Adam though. I have a picture of the still frame on my blog but I can't figure out how to up load it. My good buddy GFG is defending this hit.

Like I said buddy, I can see it being checking from behind, but I do not see head contact. The brunt of the hit was below the head, and Serratore's elbow is by his own waist. His shoulder did get close, but doesn't look like it made much contact with the head because so much had already been made below there. My only explanation as to why it was called a 2 is probably the same explanation Shanaban gave all of us Wild fans a month ago. And that is the player playing the puck put himself in that position by turning when he saw the defender coming at him.

How can you defend a guy who clearly launches himself. Look at it, he didn't need to leave his feet to make the hit. When he launches he doesn't need to raise his arms because the upward motion takes the place of his arms. It is dirty and there is no place for it in hockey. We have had to many kids hurt with this type of play.

• Upvote 2

If you call for Hansen to get some sort of suspension it's like saying Macwilliam should get one for trying to cross check Rau behind the net after the first goal, it's in this video. He also tried to level Bjugstad right after he scored but that was so close to the puck going in there's not much you can say about it.

Neither the Hansen nor Macwilliam incident are tasteful to the opposing teams side, but neither warrant suspension or anything. The absolute worst each of them would have been is 2 minutes if they were called.

Hanson left the bench after the game and slashed a player from behind - no comparison.

How can you defend a guy who clearly launches himself. Look at it, he didn't need to leave his feet to make the hit. When he launches he doesn't need to raise his arms because the upward motion takes the place of his arms. It is dirty and there is no place for it in hockey. We have had to many kids hurt with this type of play.

Exactly at the 6 second mark you can see Mac was hit in the back of the head with a shoulder.