SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

I certainly don't blame Mollberg for his interest in Iowa. However, it puts the UND coaching staff in a tough position. Do you continue recruiting other QBs who were high on your list of prospects? These QBs have other programs interested in them. How do we entice them to remain interested in us when they know an offer may be contingent on Mollberg being offered by the Hawkeyes.

Not a complaint - I am happy as heck that we have a tentative commitment. I sure hope it materializes.

I certainly don't blame Mollberg for his interest in Iowa. However, it puts the UND coaching staff in a tough position. Do you continue recruiting other QBs who were high on your list of prospects? These QBs have other programs interested in them. How do we entice them to remain interested in us when they know an offer may be contingent on Mollberg being offered by the Hawkeyes.

Not a complaint - I am happy as heck that we have a tentative commitment. I sure hope it materializes.

Mollberg will consider an offer from Iowa, it doesn't mean he would accept it. He likes UND, and what UND offers but also what he offers UND. He knows UND players now and is excited about his opportunity. I was told he prefers to stay closer to home.

Mollberg will consider an offer from Iowa, it doesn't mean he would accept it. He likes UND, and what UND offers but also what he offers UND. He knows UND players now and is excited about his opportunity. I was told he prefers to stay closer to home.

This kid certainly appears to have a good head on his shoulders so an offer from Iowa likely would not be automatically accepted. Obviously, my point is, if Joe would accept a Hawkeye offer in December and January, it would make UND's efforts to find another top notch QB more difficult. I wish I wouldn't have posted this - don't mean to put a damper on such great news!

Thanks again for all your insight regarding Mollberg. What is the latest on Labatt?

This kid certainly appears to have a good head on his shoulders so an offer from Iowa likely would not be automatically accepted. Obviously, my point is, if Joe would accept a Hawkeye offer in December and January, it would make UND's efforts to find another top notch QB more difficult. I wish I wouldn't have posted this - don't mean to put a damper on such great news!

Thanks again for all your insight regarding Mollberg. What is the latest on Labatt?

You are correct in your comments on Mollberg. UND should still have other QB's on radar. Labatt was at UND game in UND attire. Waiting for final offer from UND. I have been told he is leaning toward UND. (As a UND alumnus I can't speak to these kids about where they go unless they speak to me first). He will have a number of offers from D2 schools and NDSU is looking at him but as far as I know UND is the only FCS school that has offered so far. Also very bright student.

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

The decision area football fans have been waiting on for a couple weeks now has happened. QB Joe Mollberg from Detroit Lakes, MN has made his decision and he has chosen the University of North Dakota. Mollberg also had offers from NDSU and SDSU. Back in June, the Fargo Forum had run an erroneous article stating Mollberg had pared it down to Iowa and NDSU as his favorites. That was never the case according to Mollberg. We are not sure that UND was the front-runner in June but he was definitely leaning to UND as August rolled around.

If any of you guys didn't read this article please do. I am very impressed by the quotes in the article. Very, impressive and great get for UND. Getting a guy like this can change a recruiting class. I know I read a few years ago with ndsu's class who are now sophmores or redshirt freshmen and how those guys called other recruits and swayed them that direction. That was a very good class for them that has a lot of contributors right now. Hopefully the signing of Molberg can do the same for us.

Welcome to UND Joe.....We are glad to have you.

• Upvote 1

i thought i read on the UNI board that Iowa already got their first option at QB. I could be wrong though. I wonder if he would take a walk on offer? Not sure.

Off topic kind of here. How does Detroit Lakes, such a small town and all, seem to produce so many good football players?

I don't think you can say small. The high school is almost 750 students and they play in second highest classification in Minnesota. Football is king there. They've had many good teams there. I believe they had quite the state streak in the 90s and that was before the expanded classifications in MN. ira would be able to answer much better.

Are we taking all the recruits from the MVFC?? The Big Sky is going to dominate!!!

EWU and Montana are looking pretty dang great! ;) Just kidding, the Big Sky is a good conference. No conference will ever take over Southland as the best conference though :sad:

If I were UND I'd keep talking to some other QB's, you don't want to get put in a spot where you have no QB's...trust me, look at NDSU in '09. It sucks.

EWU and Montana are looking pretty dang great! ;)  Just kidding, the Big Sky is a good conference.  No conference will ever take over Southland as the best conference though :sad:

If I were UND I'd keep talking to some other QB's, you don't want to get put in a spot where you have no QB's...trust me, look at NDSU in '09.  It sucks.

Southland? I think you mean the CAA.

EWU and Montana are looking pretty dang great! ;) Just kidding, the Big Sky is a good conference. No conference will ever take over Southland as the best conference though :sad:

If I were UND I'd keep talking to some other QB's, you don't want to get put in a spot where you have no QB's...trust me, look at NDSU in '09. It sucks.

Seriously, your mom is calling. Go home.

• Upvote 1

Good point, I think UND has been talking to another QB (I forget the name but it has been mentioned on here somewhere) that is not as highly touted on the D1 level. It only takes one play to lose a QB for a year so the more the merrier. You guys should be sitting pretty for a few years in the QB spot as there is talent and depth. Good work.

I would love nothing more to consistently see UND and NDSU as two of the top FCS teams every year.