SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

I believe you but am trying not to get my hopes up too much until something official. But awesome news. Can't wait to see him play next week @EGF.

Same boat here - I trust you Ira, but will hold off on my excitement until later :) Great news if it does come to fruition.....

I too will remain guarded in my excitement until Mollberg is officially signed. If it is true this would be huge get for UND. Let's all cross our fingers.

You are all correct in that until he signs, which isn't until February, a Big Ten school, Notre Dame etc. could recruit him away from us. I overheard him tell one of his friends he is commiting to UND. If Iowa offers, I am sure he will consider, but it wouldn't be automatic he would go there. In the meantime I would consider him a UND commit and he turned down the Agricultural School in Fargo (some of whose fans have been stating if he doesn't go to Iowa he was a lock to go there). He plans on attending the UND game this weekend.

I to am very thrilled that it appears Mollberg is coming to UND. I am not going to get real excited until I hear that he officially has committed to UND. Am I wrong or is it just unofficial that he is committing to UND at this point?

Every commitment is unofficial until signing day. But usually, once a kid gives a verbal commitment, it's solid. I would say it's even more so when the kid is from the area. My guess is that there will be something in the local media this weekend or early next week to confirm that he has indeed verbally committed.

We need a good atmosphere for him to experience this weekend - although I'm sure this isn't his first trip to a UND game. I too will hold back my real comments until it's a done deal (because as "they" will tell you "they" never lose a recruit to "us" ;)

We need a good atmosphere for him to experience this weekend - although I'm sure this isn't his first trip to a UND game. I too will hold back my real comments until it's a done deal (because as "they" will tell you "they" never lose a recruit to "us" ;)

First good one in about 7 years. I doubt he'll be very impressed by Black Hills.

• Downvote 1

First good one in about 7 years. I doubt he'll be very impressed by Black Hills.

Well, its good he won't be playing in the game. I'm sure he is more than impressed by the Big Sky and our future schedules he'll actually be playing.

Ironic that the first one (according to you) in many years happens at the same time we get in a conference and both programs are now on equal footing. I'm sure that was something that was thrown around plenty in the past.

Pretty easy choice for Mollberg......sit on the bench for two years, then maybe play (NDSU), or go to a place where he could be the starter in year two. I think they redshirt him, and give him the keys to the offense as a redshirt freshman.

That's my gut feeling, too (if he commits). Red shirt him and let him understudy Bradley, who could be a really solid QB with one year of D1 under his belt by that time, then in year 2, if Mollberg legitimately proves he is the No. 1 through spring and summer workouts, give him the keys to the offense. We might find ourselves with a very talented home-grown FBS-sought QB, protected by a massive O line, and a competent veteran to back him up for a year in case of injury. That'll be a nice position to be in early in our full implementation of D1.

That's my gut feeling, too (if he commits). Red shirt him and let him understudy Bradley, who could be a really solid QB with one year of D1 under his belt by that time, then in year 2, if Mollberg legitimately proves he is the No. 1 through spring and summer workouts, give him the keys to the offense. We might find ourselves with a very talented home-grown FBS-sought QB, protected by a massive O line, and a competent veteran to back him up for a year in case of injury. That'll be a nice position to be in early in our full implementation of D1.

Don't forget about Chris Comes. I read somewhere that he may be pushing Bradley next year.

Pretty easy choice for Mollberg......sit on the bench for two years, then maybe play (NDSU), or go to a place where he could be the starter in year two. I think they redshirt him, and give him the keys to the offense as a redshirt freshman.

Really, we don't even know if Bradley might be the guy for the future still. Remember, just last year, the Bison weren't exactly enamored with their quarterbacks. They went back and forth with Mohler and Jensen, then finally settled with Jensen. I'm not so sure Mohler was that great, and early on, neither was Jensen, so lets give Bradley some time to make adjustments to this level before we hand over the position to someone who is equally inexperienced. We really thought we were getting something with Demler with Wisconsin's interest in him, so even though Iowa shows interest in Mollberg, he will have adjustments to make as well. Nonetheless, I am very excited to get the potential he brings.

Don't forget about Chris Comes. I read somewhere that he may be pushing Bradley next year.

It would appear he's got a ways to go in order to push Bradley, as he's only fourth on the depth chart at present. I"m not writing him off or anything, but that doesn't seem like a very good sign that he's close to being ready to seriously compete for the starting job.

Without doing a lot of reading/research can someone give me a quick synopsis why Mollberg seems to sound like such a great catch?

(I mean if the Gophers weren't even after him ;) )

Good size (6' 2", 210 lbs) and great athlete. He has a great arm and can make all of the throws, Runs well and has decent speed. Probably better QB than what we have right now. Gophers did recruit him then backed off when they got a commit from the kid from Makato. Bison went after him hard and even though he verbaled to Mussman last night, Bohl still contacting him from TCA yesterday. He is a great prospect and if he develops and adjusts to the speed of the college game could be one of the best ever at that position for UND.