SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

EWU and Montana are looking pretty dang great! ;) Just kidding, the Big Sky is a good conference. No conference will ever take over Southland as the best conference though :sad:

If I were UND I'd keep talking to some other QB's, you don't want to get put in a spot where you have no QB's...trust me, look at NDSU in '09. It sucks.

UND used to be so deep at QB that some on the list for QB switched to DB. I remember the 1994 UND-NDSU game in the Fargodome. Starting QB Clay Wagner goes down at halftime and here comes freshman QB Kevin Klancher and not only has to play in a huge rivalry game in the Fargodome but to protect a 18-13 lead. He managed to outdo everyone and did great. UND needs that again. they need to be deep (basically at all positions) so if one guy goes down, you know that that backup will step in and do a great job as well. You team isn't that great unless you have a QB to lead the charge.

Good point, I think UND has been talking to another QB (I forget the name but it has been mentioned on here somewhere) that is not as highly touted on the D1 level. It only takes one play to lose a QB for a year so the more the merrier. You guys should be sitting pretty for a few years in the QB spot as there is talent and depth. Good work.

I would love nothing more to consistently see UND and NDSU as two of the top FCS teams every year.

It would mean even if the AD's couldn't agree on a deal that they'd have to settle it in the playoffs. I could dig that. Yeah, well we should be sitting pretty, but you really don't know until you see the guys play. Thats why for all the tough talk I gave about how NDSU doesn't need Mollberg at QB nearly as bad as UND, it still would be nice to have gotten him because of the fact the more guys you got, the better chance you have for one of them to be pretty good players.

And I meant the Southern Conference...not Southland (silly me), TONS of solid teams in there, as in it makes the MVFC and Big Sky(especially BSC this year) look weak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Conference#Members

Good point, I think UND has been talking to another QB (I forget the name but it has been mentioned on here somewhere) that is not as highly touted on the D1 level. It only takes one play to lose a QB for a year so the more the merrier. You guys should be sitting pretty for a few years in the QB spot as there is talent and depth. Good work.

I would love nothing more to consistently see UND and NDSU as two of the top FCS teams every year.

UND had offers out to three other QBs besides Mollberg. I am sure they will continue talking to these guys and others. That being said, I would guess that a couple of the offers have been withdrawn.

I don't think you can say small. The high school is almost 750 students and they play in second highest classification in Minnesota. Football is king there. They've had many good teams there. I believe they had quite the state streak in the 90s and that was before the expanded classifications in MN. ira would be able to answer much better.

Detroit Lakes won 4 State Championships, one Runner up and two other semi final appearances from 1991-2001. They won 12 section titles in a row. Rick Manke (father of Ryan, Reed and Rory) took over the program in about 1986. He was a wide receiver at Moorhead State in the early 1970's and is a member of the Dragon Hall of Fame. He coached at Dilworth Glyndon Felton before coming to Detroit Lakes. He got the kids to buy into his system and got them in the weight room. Starting in 7th grade the kids ran the same offense the HS did. He didn't care about winning at any level until varsity but wanted numbers and wanted kids to play in the feeder programs rather than sit on the benchin order to win middle school or JV games. The formula worked. If there was a kid not out for FB even in middle school he would find them and convince them they were needed. We didn't have a soccer program most of those years. He won 3 of those championships. Flint Motschenbacher who was Manke Def coordinator took over in 1998. He won his 100 game last Friday (lost 41). The rest of the staff stayed virtually intact. Rob Nielsen (former UND FB) is the Def coordinator and Vern Schnathorst (former MSUM Dragon) is the line coach. Mike Labine (former UND track athlete) coaches the dbacks and receivers. Those guys ahve been on the staff for most of the Manke and all of the Motschenbacher years. Flint could be a college assistant coach. He knows FB and the kids are well coached and well prepared. Flint doesn't go after the kids who aren't out as well as Manke did and we lose a few kids to soccer but the program remains strong. We have some great kids coming up and the Sioux coaches were here last Friday to watch Mollberg and Labatt and noticed a couple of Sophmores. There are some big kids coming up in the program and if the coaching staff remains the program should stay strong.

Detroit Lakes won 4 State Championships, one Runner up and two other semi final appearances from 1991-2001. They won 12 section titles in a row. Rick Manke (father of Ryan, Reed and Rory) took over the program in about 1986. He was a wide receiver at Moorhead State in the early 1970's and is a member of the Dragon Hall of Fame. He coached at Dilworth Glyndon Felton before coming to Detroit Lakes. He got the kids to buy into his system and got them in the weight room. Starting in 7th grade the kids ran the same offense the HS did. He didn't care about winning at any level until varsity but wanted numbers and wanted kids to play in the feeder programs rather than sit on the benchin order to win middle school or JV games. The formula worked. If there was a kid not out for FB even in middle school he would find them and convince them they were needed. We didn't have a soccer program most of those years. He won 3 of those championships. Flint Motschenbacher who was Manke Def coordinator took over in 1998. He won his 100 game last Friday (lost 41). The rest of the staff stayed virtually intact. Rob Nielsen (former UND FB) is the Def coordinator and Vern Schnathorst (former MSUM Dragon) is the line coach. Mike Labine (former UND track athlete) coaches the dbacks and receivers. Those guys ahve been on the staff for most of the Manke and all of the Motschenbacher years. Flint could be a college assistant coach. He knows FB and the kids are well coached and well prepared. Flint doesn't go after the kids who aren't out as well as Manke did and we lose a few kids to soccer but the program remains strong. We have some great kids coming up and the Sioux coaches were here last Friday to watch Mollberg and Labatt and noticed a couple of Sophmores. There are some big kids coming up in the program and if the coaching staff remains the program should stay strong.

Sounds like he has a good program over in DL. Wish more schools did this, same system throughout schooling career. You might get hammered a few times when you are young, but once your in high school and understand everything while other kids are learning new systems, you got a huge edge.

• Upvote 1

I watched Mollberg play last night against a young and undersized EGF team. He is a decently tall thick qb. In warm ups he was throwing 30 yard darts no problem (receivers were a different story). Throws a tight low ball. It doesn't seem to sail. During the game he ran. A lot. Don't jump on me for this comparison but if you want one he looks and runs like Tebow. Not fast but finds a seam and will always plow forward.

Throwing during game was a tough read. His line can't pass block. If players on a d line that are giving up 20-40 lbs can break through and put pressure then the pass blocking is bad. So he was under pressure on first couple passes and made one horrible throw that I think he was hit on. Then DL started rolling him. To the left (he's righthanded). He made one 15 pass doing this where receiver was dragging goal line towards left sideline and Mollberg placed it perfectly for the TD. Very nice throw.

He tried one deep ball all game and it was an effortless throw form 45 yard line. It was just past receiver's hands (we all felt he could've caught it) and landed at goal line. Beautiful ball and it looked like he wasn't trying. And it went 45 yards in air.

I was very impressed with the pace and tightness of his throws. I'm not a guru so can't comment on footwork and the like. I don't know if I could say he's Big Ten qb material but this is from one game. He had one throw land at feet of kid and another terrible decision while being sacked. Just flung it backwards over head towards line of scrimmage and got intentional grounding. He just never had time to stand in pocket and throw. And they didn't have to throw much.

I'm impressed by him and can't wait to see him in a Sioux jersery (hopefully).

Edit: Forgot to mention he had 3 rushing and one passing td in first half. He didn't play the whole second half.

Edited by Smoggy

Another offer: S Ben Holcomb, 6'4", 200, Hermantown, WI

For those of us who have been followiing UND FB for years, you many remember that for many years we had at least one starting safety who was 6'4" or 6'5". They were some great players: Voelker, Woleske, etc.

As sad as it is to say, UND fans should really cheer for him to underachieve the rest of the season, for all you guys know Iowa is not offering anyway but if they are looking, and see stat lines of 10/13 250 yards 4 TD's, they might come knocking and asking if he'd like to be a hawkeye.

As sad as it is to say, UND fans should really cheer for him to underachieve the rest of the season, for all you guys know Iowa is not offering anyway but if they are looking, and see stat lines of 10/13 250 yards 4 TD's, they might come knocking and asking if he'd like to be a hawkeye.

I think you are correct; in this situation they essentially get him if they want him. My hope is that they have someone better on the radar, or if they are just recruiting him as depth; meaning that he may see that he will never play so he may not go even if they offer. pipe dreams of course!

John Boy,

I think you spend to much time in the barn with Grandpa Walton smoking driftwood. You won't make your million $ doing that. Get your ass back to school to learn about fertilizers, herbicides, and using the GPS to run the combine while you listen to Hank Williams on the stereo.

Iowa hasn't told him what they are doing. They are still in regular contact with him. He hasn't said he wants to be a Hawkeye. He is pretty excited to be a Sioux QB. If Iowa or any other FBS school offers he will consider but he is pretty excited about his future at UND. I don't think anyone knows what he will decide if that opportunity arises. Otherwise,he will learn the system at UND as quickly as he can and if and when the time comes that he earns the starting spot, he can flat out throw the pigskin. (that is a football to you John Boy, not what the AC gals show hanging over their waistline). There are a lot of other factors including friends who will be at school at UND, the relationships he is developing with his future teammates and the academic opportunites UND offers. Iowa is not a cinch if they offer, but if they offer, he will see a whole new level of recruiting and pressure. I think he is comfortable with playing for UND and the opportunites that affords him athletically, academically and socialy. If he decides to go somewhere else, then that is his choice and good luck to him. He has shown he is too smart to go to the AC and if people think he wouldn't be a threat to start there as a Fr. or Soph. then they haven't seen him play.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this quote hit double digits on the +1's. Well said.

John Boy,

I think you spend to much time in the barn with Grandpa Walton smoking driftwood. You won't make your million $ doing that. Get your ass back to school to learn about fertilizers, herbicides, and using the GPS to run the combine while you listen to Hank Williams on the stereo.

Iowa hasn't told him what they are doing. They are still in regular contact with him. He hasn't said he wants to be a Hawkeye. He is pretty excited to be a Sioux QB. If Iowa or any other FBS school offers he will consider but he is pretty excited about his future at UND. I don't think anyone knows what he will decide if that opportunity arises. Otherwise,he will learn the system at UND as quickly as he can and if and when the time comes that he earns the starting spot, he can flat out throw the pigskin. (that is a football to you John Boy, not what the AC gals show hanging over their waistline). There are a lot of other factors including friends who will be at school at UND, the relationships he is developing with his future teammates and the academic opportunites UND offers. Iowa is not a cinch if they offer, but if they offer, he will see a whole new level of recruiting and pressure. I think he is comfortable with playing for UND and the opportunites that affords him athletically, academically and socialy. If he decides to go somewhere else, then that is his choice and good luck to him. He has shown he is too smart to go to the AC and if people think he wouldn't be a threat to start there as a Fr. or Soph. then they haven't seen him play.

Positive rep +++++

The same guys who sung this kids praises when Fargo's media wrote he committed to ndsu were the first one's to say how bad of a qb he is and how he'll jump ship if another offer comes his way. It's a yearly thing when it comes to ndsu fans and recruiting.

• Upvote 1

There are many issues that go into a higher education choice - the major they intend to go into, their comfort with the size of the school and the size of the community, do they have friends attending, are their parents and family able to attend their games and of course the amount of financial assistance offered. It's amusing but sad to read the constant negative wishful thinking of the bison trolls.

Thanks, Johnboy. I was wondering what your opinion of this would be.

If he was Iowa's 1st choice, there would already be an offer. Either way, I'm sure you join me in wishing him nothing but the best.

John Boy,

Ira-what do you figure the over/under on years Thornton will wait behind Jensen before he transfers out of the AC?

Ira-what do you figure the over/under on years Thornton will wait behind Jensen before he transfers out of the AC?

I think he stays unless he ends up behind Wentz. If Wentz moves ahead of him on the depth chart, he has to decide if he wants to be a back up or go somewhere else to play. I don't know his academic major and that should make a difference. Once a kid gets to a school and they spend more than two years in the program, I believe they are less likely to transfer. If the AC is winning or competing for a National FCS title he is less likely to leave. There is something to be said for being part of a winning team and championship. I haven't seen him play except on TV when he was in HS and he was a big kid, good athlete and excellent QB at that level. My opinion on him probably isn't worth much.

John Boy,

Ask most recruits.... Iowa or an FCS school. Almost all of them are going Iowa. Is that always a good thing? No, sometimes they end up unhappy and stuck at the bottom of the depth chart. Someone pointed out on here a reason Iowa may not have offered is because he missed some significant time from a bum ankle right away this season, FBS teams with multiple quality options at that position might be a little hesitant to give a scholarship. If Iowa comes knocking and offers a full ride and he turns it down, I will eat a bit of crow for you guys, I'm looking at his options, potentially being a Big Ten(12) quarterback? Or being a FCS quarterback?

Btw, he wouldn't be a threat as a freshman or a sophomore. Too much depth at qb at the good ol' AC right now.

Mollberg was 9 of 12 passing for 184 yds and a TD with a pick. He ran for 122 and a TD on a windy night. DL lost to Perham with 4 turnovers. Couldn't stop Perham's running game. Perham and DL are good but not great HS teams. DL will have to get by Bemidji and Hermantown in their section but Perham, if they play this well, could contend for their 3A section. The 2 Hein brothers were beasts for Perham. THe senior is a 5'11" 270 lb lineman with great feet and quickness. The junior is a 6' 2" QB DB. He ran for 4TD's I believe and took the ball away from a DL running back on about his won 10 and returned it for a TD as DL was dring for a TD/ That was a 14pt turnaround and the gamewinner.

Desert Edge head coach Rich Wellbrock says, "Fletcher was offered by the University of North Dakota last night. He is very deserving and I am extremely happy for him." The 6-3 190 pound Fletcher has caught 35 passes for 745 yards and 5 TDs for the 5-3 ...

I don't have a subscription so, I didn't get the whole thing.

http://recruiting.sc...%2f1118337.html

Robert Tonyan, a QB from McHenry, IL who we had offered, verbaled to Indiana State today. It is likely that we withdrew the offer after the Mollberg commitment.

While possible, I wouldn't imagine UND would feel that comfortable or confident that Molberg is coming for sure that they should withdraw an offer. What happens if Iowa gives him a call and he takes off? If I was in that situation I'd make sure we still had another qb on our radar that we could hopefully bring in. Does UND have any other QB offers out there?

I'd imagine this IL guy probably chose Indiana St. because of they are a team built around throwing the football and it probably can't hurt that he would be closer to home.