SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

You have to wade through some nonsense, but I would encourage people to read all the comments to the "Mollberg Update" posting at SFI. This is where I'm basing my opinion that UND has a good shot.

I just reread all of those comments - very interesting! I know Ira has been following this kid closely for the last 2-3 years. Ira doesn't "blow smoke" like many of those who post. I certainly hope what he has heard and his reasoning pans out in a decision to attend UND. It sounds like we will know fairly soon.

I would be very surprised if he is coming to UND but delighted if he is. Considering he is probably going to announce this week and the Bison just happen to be playing the Gophers I am guessing he might be signing with NDSU. The timing just looks like he might not be signing here.

Maybe he is announcing this weekend to give the GF media some prep time before he visits next weekend when his Lakers play at EGF? :D

I said it in the Fresno State thread: The UND Football team is ripe for a quarterback to come in and be a key piece.

I wonder if it'll be NDSU. With Jensen (Jr), then Esley Thornton(?, RFr), then the guy from Bismarck Century (Fr), that seems to be a backlog at that position. Especially so when you hear Thornton is pressuring Jensen for the job already. Esley could lock himself in as NDSU's starter through 2014.

I said it in the Fresno State thread: The UND Football team is ripe for a quarterback to come in and be a key piece.

I wonder if it'll be NDSU. With Jensen (Jr), then Esley Thornton(?, RFr), then the guy from Bismarck Century (Fr), that seems to be a backlog at that position. Especially so when you hear Thornton is pressuring Jensen for the job already. Esley could lock himself in as NDSU's starter through 2014.

I believe Jensen is a So, Thornton a RFr, and Wentz a Fr. C'mon Mollberg GF is the best place for you.

I'm the biggest Fighting SIoux moniker believer in the world but it is times like this that I wonder how much it is hurting us or setting us back in ways we dont even realize. Keeping in mind that the Big Sky is not a complete certainty pending legislation that needs to be reversed in November as well as retirement and these lawsuits being brought by Spirit Lake now, it is very possible that something like this that causes conference uncertainty would effect recruiting decisions a lot.

Especially with a kid that is from the area I'm sure he is well aware of the facts and situation. If i was a coveted recruit I would look at even the slightest chance of being stuck in the Great West with no viable conference affiliations and run. I think the nickname hurts us in more ways than we know.

With that said, I really hope this is not the case and I would love to see this kid in Kelly Green. Go Sioux!

I just reread all of those comments - very interesting! I know Ira has been following this kid closely for the last 2-3 years. Ira doesn't "blow smoke" like many of those who post. I certainly hope what he has heard and his reasoning pans out in a decision to attend UND. It sounds like we will know fairly soon.

Ira - would the girlfriend's father you're talking about be Paul M.?

I would be very surprised if he is coming to UND but delighted if he is. Considering he is probably going to announce this week and the Bison just happen to be playing the Gophers I am guessing he might be signing with NDSU. The timing just looks like he might not be signing here.

Considering he will be attending the UND game this weekend I would say don't bet on an NDSU signing. His teamate Brian Labatt is also going to be at the UND game this weekend. UND has an offer to him also.

UND is still the flagship University of the State of North Dakota and if one wants to consider tradition UND has dominated the FB series with NDSU. If you wish to look at what is most recent UND won 10 of the last 13. If you wish you can find a period in the 1960's and 1980's when NDSU dominated the series. Mollberg won't be playing for those teams.

There is a good chance he will be leading UND from the transition and a shot at the first Big Sky conference championship within the next 6 years. Pretty good place to put yourself if you want to place yourself for success. UND runs an offense where he can excel and UND offers what he wants academically. He is leaning toward UND folks. Iowa isn't out of the picture.

I don't know why the guy from the AC was commenting about our schedule. They are through the transition and still playing teams like St. Francis. I am not sure the

Gophers are a lot better but should be able to give them a game. That guy also forgets some of the creampuffs they had to paly during their transition but as I said this kid will be choosing a school that best positions him for success in the future not based on what either team did in the past.

Considering he will be attending the UND game this weekend I would say don't bet on an NDSU signing. His teamate Brian Labatt is also going to be at the UND game this weekend. UND has an offer to him also.

UND is still the flagship University of the State of North Dakota and if one wants to consider tradition UND has dominated the FB series with NDSU. If you wish to look at what is most recent UND won 10 of the last 13. If you wish you can find a period in the 1960's and 1980's when NDSU dominated the series. Mollberg won't be playing for those teams.

There is a good chance he will be leading UND from the transition and a shot at the first Big Sky conference championship within the next 6 years. Pretty good place to put yourself if you want to place yourself for success. UND runs an offense where he can excel and UND offers what he wants academically. He is leaning toward UND folks. Iowa isn't out of the picture.

I don't know why the guy from the AC was commenting about our schedule. They are through the transition and still playing teams like St. Francis. I am not sure the

Gophers are a lot better but should be able to give them a game. That guy also forgets some of the creampuffs they had to paly during their transition but as I said this kid will be choosing a school that best positions him for success in the future not based on what either team did in the past.

You had mentioned Labatt before. I think he plays both RB and LB. He will be a LB in college, right? Size? Any other offers?

Regarding Mollberg - do you really think he would commit and then change his mind at the last minute if Iowa had something open up? That would certainly be a blow to whatever school he commits to now!

Mollberg, depending on the source, has been listed everywhere between 6'1, 195 to 6'4, 220. What is his current size?

You had mentioned Labatt before. I think he plays both RB and LB. He will be a LB in college, right? Size? Any other offers?

Regarding Mollberg - do you really think he would commit and then change his mind at the last minute if Iowa had something open up? That would certainly be a blow to whatever school he commits to now!

I don't think he would announce a commitment until he is sure where he will go. He may give a "soft commitment" meaning he would go to UND if Iowa doesn't offer. I would guess that would be between him and the coaches. I am sure they would like to be able to use his commitment as a recruiting tool for this class.

Labatt could be an outside linebacker but I would guess more likely an H-back or fullback. He is 6'2" 210. Very good HS player. NDSU is looking at him I have not heard they have offered. These guys are good friends and both excellent BB players and athletes.

Actually Bohl is really high on Wentz. 6-5 - runs better than the other 2 and is very smart both in the classroom and on the field. Would be hard for Molberg to crack. The two qb poor teams at this time are UND and SDSU. Makes sense for him to choose either one of the two if he wants to play. As we have found out with high school qb's that are stars they are not guaranteed to be college stars.

So your saying there is no guarantee Wentz or Thornton are going to be any good in college. Enough of the baloney. We all know the Bison offered and want Molberg bad. Molberg could very well crack the lineup at NDSU. Nobody knows at this point. NDSU will be thrilled if they land Molberg.

How good is Molberg? Who does he remind you of as far as past college QB's, maybe at UND, or maybe elsewhere? Did he have a shot at playing QB at Iowa, or was it going to be at another position?

Iowa is looking at him as a QB. He has a great arm and can run. He threw for over 1000 yds and ran for over 1000 yds last year. 6' 2 1/2" and 210 lbs. Great HS BB player at either shooting guard or small forward. Will likely average 18 or more ppg this BB season. He doesn't get great protection so he has slipped under the radar a bit and his ankle injury kept him out of first game and limited in second game. Didn't run much last week against TRF but threw for 3 TD's. TRF probably should have won. They put a lot of pressure on him and we couldn't run against them but he wasn't running much. Iowa had him down there and were impressed with his arm but wanted to look at game film from early games this fall. NDSU has good young QB's there but they are recruiting him very hard.

BHS coach last year was impressed when he threw one about 50 yds into a strong wind at their place. He catches the attention of the fans with his arm. Has strong arm but throws a very catchable ball. Getting close to 100% with his ankle.

Iowa is looking at him as a QB. He has a great arm and can run. He threw for over 1000 yds and ran for over 1000 yds last year. 6' 2 1/2" and 210 lbs. Great HS BB player at either shooting guard or small forward. Will likely average 18 or more ppg this BB season. He doesn't get great protection so he has slipped under the radar a bit and his ankle injury kept him out of first game and limited in second game. Didn't run much last week against TRF but threw for 3 TD's. TRF probably should have won. They put a lot of pressure on him and we couldn't run against them but he wasn't running much. Iowa had him down there and were impressed with his arm but wanted to look at game film from early games this fall. NDSU has good young QB's there but they are recruiting him very hard.

BHS coach last year was impressed when he threw one about 50 yds into a strong wind at their place. He catches the attention of the fans with his arm. Has strong arm but throws a very catchable ball. Getting close to 100% with his ankle.

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to write that up.

This is why I want to punch people who say that this year's games don't matter for anything. It's Potato Bowl Week people. Get out to the Al, see some good football and help create a great atmosphere for the players and potential recruits. (And stay for the whole flippin game)

• Upvote 1

This is why I want to punch people who say that this year's games don't matter for anything. It's Potato Bowl Week people. Get out to the Al, see some good football and help create a great atmosphere for the players and potential recruits. (And stay for the whole flippin game)

I've done my part. Gave my tickets to some new fans to check out and got myself another one. It will be nice to catch some live football and personally I like the later (but not too late start) as it gives me time to flip channels and watch all the afternoon games.

Ironic that Iowa is in the mix and NDSU announces Iowa on the schedule for what would be Mollberg's redshirt Sr yr. If Iowa doesn't offer, a chance to stick it to the Hawkeyes could be a powerful draw.

Mollberg is a UND commit. Informed NDSU last night he won't be going there. Will be at UND game this weekend. Great job by UND staff recruiting this guy.

I believe you but am trying not to get my hopes up too much until something official. But awesome news. Can't wait to see him play next week @EGF.