SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

Who else is looking at Labatt? Sounds like a versatile athlete, and would likely make a great LB for the Sioux.

The coaches from the AC were here earlier this year watching him. For some reason they aren't keeping me informed of their intentions. I would think all area D2 schools would be after him. i believe UND is first to offer. He would be great LB or H-back or slot. Great verticle jumping ability. Has good speed. Yards per carry and per reception are outstanding. He and Mollberg are excellent HS BB players.

Coach Mussman was informed by Mollberg tonight that he will not be attending Iowa and will be attending UND. Looks like early commitments are starting to come in. Other DL kid offered is Labatt. He is 6' 3", 210 lbs. Has played QB (when Mollberg was hurt), slotback, tight end, safety, DE and LB. Has 53 carries for 448 yds and 1 TD, 17 receptions for 378 yds and 6 TD's, and 1 int returned for a TD. 4.0 student. ACT around 30. Reported to be leaning to UND. Would be great to get another early commitment.

Great news! Thanks for keeping us updated on these two talented kids?

Ira - has Mollberg had any injury problems prior to this year?

It was good to see Edwards on the list of top senior OLs - even though it appears he will play defense for us.

We have offers out to at least two other WI players who are in the top 5-6 in their positions: S Holcomb from Germantown and LB Goff from Middletown. I know we have interest in some of the others but do not know if they have offers.

Wisconsin Rapids' Brady Goska is listed as one of the top DBs. He must be Brent's brother. I don't know if we are recruiting him or not. He is 6'1", 185 and wants to go into business - would appear to be a good fit!

Wisconsin Rapids' Brady Goska is listed as one of the top DBs. He must be Brent's brother. I don't know if we are recruiting him or not. He is 6'1", 185 and wants to go into business - would appear to be a good fit!

I would bet that we are....but that he isn't interested considering what happened to his older brother. Although maybe now that he is starting again...

I would bet that we are....but that he isn't interested considering what happened to his older brother. Although maybe now that he is starting again...

Do you mean that he lost his job and regained it because of competition? I don't think there should be an entitlement for any of the players, and I don't know if I want a recruit that thinks the job is going to be handed to him. It's one thing if Goska was ripping it up last year and came in as a clear number one without a chance to pick up where he left off, but most fans saw the quarterback situation in need of an upgrade because the position didn't produce results last year, and obviously the coaches felt the same.

1. NDSU just got a verbal tonight from a back from Milwaukee (Marcus Horne). He had offers from all but 2 of the MAC teams and was starting to get strong interest from several Big Ten schools. Had 3 Preferred walk on offers from the Big Ten. He was apparently at the UNI game this weekend and verballed right after the game. I saw several recruits on the field before the game. If a recruit visits the Fargodome on a game day and the Alerus on a game day, which do you suppose he will be more impressed with?

1. NDSU just got a verbal tonight from a back from Milwaukee (Marcus Horne). He had offers from all but 2 of the MAC teams and was starting to get strong interest from several Big Ten schools. Had 3 Preferred walk on offers from the Big Ten. He was apparently at the UNI game this weekend and verballed right after the game. I saw several recruits on the field before the game. If a recruit visits the Fargodome on a game day and the Alerus on a game day, which do you suppose he will be more impressed with?

Hands down the Al.

• Upvote 1

I think he would be more impressed with UND. We would just have to tell him that most Bison fans spend most of their time talking about UND and writing on the Sioux website. It would appear being connected to UND is where everyone wants to be,at least bison fans.
  • Upvote 4

It is so sad that you just don't get it. No one here cares. Your continual presence here and the presence of other bison boneheads just perpetuates your insecurity and never ending need to compare ndsu to UND. Sad, really sad.

• Upvote 2

Why did you come here and write that?

I don't know. Why would we care about a kid we didn't offer? ndsu offered him when he was a sophmore. Ask Molberg, a recruit who actually had offers from both schools which he preferred now that our transition is coming to a close, and we are in an AQ conference.

As far as your question, your comparing a team that is in an AQ conference vs. a team that is not yet in an AQ conference and not playoff elgible. As far as next season when all things are equal, I'd imagine when Montana comes to the Alerus, the atmosphere will be pretty good and one that I am pretty confident recruits will enjoy. Cal Poly and Southern Utah will bring a solid atmosphere as well. Central Arkansas will probably be a ranked team coming in and Northern Arizona will be a conference game. Next year I am pretty confident in bringing recruits to the Alerus and the atmosphere it will provide in games when things matter.

That was answered already, here ...

NDSU is #1 in the polls in their main sport, and yet they need affirmation from UND fans to feel whole.

Funny that their thread on Bisonville about the polls....has tons of posts wondering if UND is going to be in. Obsessed much?

1 Why are you on here?

2 The MAC is a joke, even NDSU beats them and so does lowly Minnesota, UND came close with holdover DII players.

3 Lots of walk ons in the Big 10, most end up as ball boys.

4 What else is there to do in Fargo on game day?

I respect the new No. 1 ranking for the Bison and they are a good team, but for everyone's sake, this is not the most important thing going on in the world. Find another thing to occupy your time. Maybe the barn needs a good cleaning.

Any key positions we are losing after this year? We have our potential QB, HB of the future with Bradley, Molberg, and Garmin what about TE, OL, DL etc?

I think the recruiting emphasis on defense this year will be at the safety position (an area of GREAT need with current level of play and the fact that 3 will be lost to graduation). Also getting a bit thin in numbers at ILB. DL is also an area where the coaches will always look for more depth.

Offense is in better shape graduation-wise, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the coaches go after another JUCO or transfer QB to compete with Bradley and bridge the gap to Mollberg.

I think the recruiting emphasis on defense this year will be at the safety position (an area of GREAT need with current level of play and the fact that 3 will be lost to graduation). Also getting a bit thin in numbers at ILB. DL is also an area where the coaches will always look for more depth.

Offense is in better shape graduation-wise, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the coaches go after another JUCO or transfer QB to compete with Bradley and bridge the gap to Mollberg.

I'd agree with this. Along with one or two, big physical strong side OLB's. In the Ryan Goven mode. This would improve our run defense even more. I'm interested to see how our safey we signed from Cali. is. I always have to remind myself we have some players redshirting who will hlep this team next year at WR, LB, more talented O-linemen and there seems to be some talented secondary players (Butler, Fifita, and 3 pretty athletic corners). They will get serious looks come spring ball. Secondary will be wide open next year for playing time.

We need more than one QB for next year. We need big fast LB's. Our O-line and Dline have made good strides this year. We need to always recruit speed at the skill positions RB, Receiver, DB's. Receivers need to hang on to the ball. When we have struggled with the FBS teams or good FCS teams these areas seem to be our weakness.