SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Full time status is at 12 credits.

Not sure if it's less for summer school though.

Most players that are a year or so out of high school end up taking 1-2 courses while in juniors too before their arrival at UND. But you do have to be careful. I remember the story of the kid at Air Force who lost eligiblity by taking too many credits before his arrival at Air Force.

Ask coach Hakstol about that. He only had 2-1/2 years of eligibility because he tooks some classes which started his eligibility clock ticking. I think he even had to leave half way through his Senior season.

Ask coach Hakstol about that. He only had 2-1/2 years of eligibility because he tooks some classes which started his eligibility clock ticking. I think he even had to leave half way through his Senior season.

A player doesn't need to worry about part time schooling, enrolling as a full time student starts the eligibility clock, even then a player has 5 years of eligible years to play 4 years of college hockey. The rule states as follows:

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.3.5 Participation after 21st Birthday - Any participation as an individual or a team representative in organized sports competition by a student during each 12-month period after the student's 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution shall count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services shall be excepted.

To summarize the Five-Year rule, enrolling at college or university full time begins your five-year eligibility clock. For a player aiming at the NCAA, full-time enrolment could make them less attractive to schools/coaches recruiting future talent - by thus having less years to work with the player. For the most part, players that want to continue schooling while playing out their junior will attend as part-time students. This allows them to keep the edge on their studies while also being able to balance the rigors of playing junior hockey all the while keeping their NCAA eligibility intact.

The second rule above may or may not be an issue for some players. In some cases, a player will turn 21 during their last year of junior. If so, a player cannot continue playing once their 21st birthday occurs if they are inline for the NCAA the following season. If they do continue to play, the player will lose a year of eligibility - again something that most coaches aren't that keen on when recruiting a prospective athlete.

Another area of concern for prospective NCAA athletes has to do with keeping their amateur status. The rules that you need to be aware of concerning amateur status are the following:

12.3.1 General Rule - An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she ever has agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation in that sport. Further, an agency contract not specifically limited in writing to a sport or particular sports shall be deemed applicable to all sports, and the individual shall be ineligible to participate in any sport.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

NHL Draft feature on Keaton Thompson

"It's pretty much a dream," Thompson, who was born in Minneapolis but raised in the Peace Garden State, says of playing for coach Dave Hakstol at UND. "Watching the Sioux is a big thing around North Dakota. When they finally recruited me there was a feeling of 'wow, I can't believe this is happening.'

"At North Dakota, I really want to work on my strength, just being able to push guys around in our defensive zone. Definitely work on my offensive game too, put up more points."

http://ca.sports.yah...-173418329.html

Also a couple nice features on Adam Tambellini, family legacy

http://www.theprovin...4100/story.html

http://www.vancouver...4061/story.html

Draft is Tomorow 2pm in New Jersey

My predictions

4 potential draftees this weekend

KEATON THOMPSON- USA program (D) - devils lake,Nd. Born in Minneapolis. 2nd to 3rd round pick I would guess

ADAM TAMBELLINI - BCHL - (F) son of former oilers GM recently fired. Brock Nelson type build so needs to hit weights but could be 30 plus points guy this season. Late 3rd to 4th round maybe sneak up a but higher as his stock has been rising. Great playoff run and very good combine numbers

GAGE AUSMUS - east grand forks mn - USA program- (D) originally commited to Denver then gwoz was sent packing so kid decides to come back home! 4th to 5th round

LUKE JOHNSON - Lincoln ushl - grand forks, Nd - (F) was considered a A prospect last year. could still be a 5th to 7th rounder or undrafted

I think that's the only 4 to keep an eye on but if I missed any please add. Go Sioux

Wow, sounds like he has his ducks in a row, both on and off the ice.

Could he be college hockey's version of Tim Tebow in a few years? Perhaps.

I like Rocco. I like Tebow. I'm not even religious and am a left winger. They are young men of good moral character and conviction. They are leaders and both lead by example, not by pushing their views on others. The Bronco players really liked Tebow, but understand that business is business and Manning was the way to go.

But, you might be correct about both. Great skills in college that may not translate for Rocco to the NHL and Tebow to the NFL. I hope I am wrong about both.

My predictions

KEATON THOMPSON- USA program (D) - devils lake,Nd. Born in Minneapolis. 2nd to 3rd round pick I would guess

ADAM TAMBELLINI - BCHL - (F) son of former oilers GM recently fired. Brock Nelson type build so needs to hit weights but could be 30 plus points guy this season. Late 3rd to 4th round maybe sneak up a but higher as his stock has been rising. Great playoff run and very good combine numbers

GAGE AUSMUS - east grand forks mn - USA program- (D) originally commited to Denver then gwoz was sent packing so kid decides to come back home! 4th to 5th round

LUKE JOHNSON - Lincoln ushl - grand forks, Nd - (F) was considered a A prospect last year. could still be a 5th to 7th rounder or undrafted

I think that's the only 4 to keep an eye on but if I missed any please add. Go Sioux

I think Adam could be a late 2nd rounder.

My predictions

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Tucker Poolman is a late-round selection.

Tabellini to the damn Rangers. Let me guess, they don't want him playing college hockey...

They didn't push Skjei to major junior last season and he ended up with the Gophers, I blame JT Miller more for that situation and think he may have just been kind of using us. I believe a lot of the incoming players are already on campus to for summer classes and I would be pretty suprised if Tambellini wasn't here when the season starts.

There is also a chance, albeit very small, that Caggiula, Stecher, or Murphy get drafted as well.

What's the deal with Murphy and Stecher....I thought those guys were solid? Murphy's numbers are eye popping why would he not even be a 7th rounder? Is he small?

That helped J.T. Miller so much. The guy got benched in the NHL because he was a defensive liability. Woops!

Maybe a couple years at UND wouldn't have been so bad for his development, after all. silly Rangers

??? Miller had a decent rookie year for an 18/19 year old. Your comments are a little off on this one.

• Upvote 1