SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

51 minutes ago, cberkas said:

This rights are for 4 years with a NCAA team 2 years with major junior team.

So Moore would have to sign after his junior year. 

"A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college."

Think Danny Kristo, Mark MacMillan, etc.  Players that played a year of juniors after being drafted, and then 4 years with UND. 5 years after being drafted, the NHL team that drafted them still holds their rights until the summer after leaving UND.

53 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Returning(as of now)

Kierstad-L

JBD-R

Bast-R

Frisch-R

Rieger-R

Coming in next season

Sanderson-L

Kleven-L

Possible

Miller-R

Moore-L

I think we have seen the end of Rieger on d.  Seems like a certainty that Coop (I gave him a nickname!) comes in. 

1 hour ago, as15 said:

"A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college."

Think Danny Kristo, Mark MacMillan, etc.  Players that played a year of juniors after being drafted, and then 4 years with UND. 5 years after being drafted, the NHL team that drafted them still holds their rights until the summer after leaving UND.

I think that once you turn 21 you can declare yourself a pro or no loner an amateur athlete and then wait 30 days as well...Blake Wheeler took that route if I remember.

3 hours ago, as15 said:

They have 4 years to sign them to if they go NCAA. Thome should have had to sign with the Bluejackets after this season. 

8 hours ago, AJS said:

Final 2020 Draft Rankings were released by Central Scouting:

• 4. Sanderson
  • 42. Kleven
  • 49. Miller
  • 94. Kunz
  • 119. Bowen
  • 123. Halliday

I do put a lot into these rankings as a phenomenal baseline. Of course guys will get taken before / behind of their "projection", but they do give great insight.

Berry gave the names of 4 Forwards (Need 5) and 2 Defenseman (Need 3) that will be here next year. I would hope both Bowen and Halliday are pushed back to 2021. I thought Miller would sky rocket up the rankings. I would be more Ok with Moore coming in over Miller if it came down to only needing one of the two. 

To clarify: Bowen / Halliday / Miller are not part of the list Berry gave although I'm sure all are in the running for Final Spot.

Keep in mind this list is North American draft rankings;  Sanderson should probably go anywheres from 4-12. 

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

I think that once you turn 21 you can declare yourself a pro or no loner an amateur athlete and then wait 30 days as well...Blake Wheeler took that route if I remember.

It's not based on the players age that defines if they are now FAs.  That's why we're seeing college players get signed earlier and earlier as they have an option to go the FA route if they were drafted originally ie. Shane Gerisch signing after Junior year.  If he hadn't, Washington risked losing him as a FA come the following July 1st. 

Here is a good article outlining it. 

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2017/8/18/16165916/draft-dodging-the-nhl-needs-to-fix-prospect-free-agency-rules-schultz-butcher-vesey-kerfoot-hayes

48 minutes ago, cberkas said:

They have 4 years to sign them to if they go NCAA. Thome should have had to sign with the Bluejackets after this season. 

They hold their rights for 4 years from draft day, or until after they leave college, the quote I put was from the NHL draft site and their are literally hundreds of examples of the scenario occurring where a drafted player plays a year of juniors after getting drafted and then plays 4 years of college.  NHL teams will hold your rights until Aug. 15 after your last year of college, at which point you'd become a free agent.

7 hours ago, as15 said:

They hold their rights for 4 years from draft day, or until after they leave college, the quote I put was from the NHL draft site and their are literally hundreds of examples of the scenario occurring where a drafted player plays a year of juniors after getting drafted and then plays 4 years of college.  NHL teams will hold your rights until Aug. 15 after your last year of college, at which point you'd become a free agent.

Exactly. For players who were drafted and played two years of juniors, they could then officially declare after their sophomore year that they're no longer going to be a student. Wait until mid August and they're now a free agent.
However, if they choose to play for 3 or 4 years of college, the NHL team would still have their rights up until August 15 of the last year they play.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:54 PM, as15 said:

What I’m saying is the player has the option to become a free agent 4 years after their draft year, so teams risk losing the player.  So typically teams go all in on signing their players, at the latest, after the 4th year after the players draft year. Unless the player hasn’t developed which is obviously less of a risk. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any doubt that Mitchell Miller will be the 3rd Freshman Defenseman brought in this year? I've done the comparisons before.

• Experience:
    • Miller: 2 Years Junior Experience
      • International Experience
        • Hlinka
        • WJAC (X2)
    • Moore: 1 Year Junior Experience
  • Performance:
    • Miller: USHL 1st Team
  • Draft:
    • Miller: 3rd / 4th Round (Most Likely)
    • Moore: 5th Round

I think Moore is a great player, but Miller's resume is better in every way. I don't see any way if it's one or the other, that Miller isn't the guy. Now, I do hope they get creative, because I don't want to lose either. 

19 hours ago, AJS said:

Is there any doubt that Mitchell Miller will be the 3rd Freshman Defenseman brought in this year? I've done the comparisons before.

• Experience:
    • Miller: 2 Years Junior Experience
      • International Experience
        • Hlinka
        • WJAC (X2)
    • Moore: 1 Year Junior Experience
  • Performance:
    • Miller: USHL 1st Team
  • Draft:
    • Miller: 3rd / 4th Round (Most Likely)
    • Moore: 5th Round

I think Moore is a great player, but Miller's resume is better in every way. I don't see any way if it's one or the other, that Miller isn't the guy. Now, I do hope they get creative, because I don't want to lose either. 

I think someone had suggested previously that they might bring in 4 defensemen (Sanderson, Kleven, Miller, and Moore) and move Rieger to a F/D role like they did with Casey Johnson. I think this makes a lot of sense. Then they would bring in 4 forwards (Gaber, Rizzo, Ness, and Budy).

53 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

I think someone had suggested previously that they might bring in 4 defensemen (Sanderson, Kleven, Miller, and Moore) and move Rieger to a F/D role like they did with Casey Johnson. I think this makes a lot of sense. Then they would bring in 4 forwards (Gaber, Rizzo, Ness, and Budy).

That's a great idea. I do remember seeing the suggestion of moving Rieger to Forward, but I never took the next logical step of then only bringing in four forwards. Sign me up for this. 

16 hours ago, Tbone said:

I thought that he would be too old to be drafted. Couldn’t see it though, I haven’t felt that over agers get much of a look.

Has he aged out? Maybe.

Youre right overagers rarely get picked but every once in awhile they go.  Ladue, Poolman, etc all got drafted in their last year of eligibility. You could be right though not sure if gaber has aged out.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits