SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Weatherby cracked opening night lineup…pretty impressive.

That's really something, says a lot about him and UND.  It's easy to see now that the conversation between SJ and him might have been quite a bit different in the fall than it was in the spring.  Earlier, it may have been an offer to turn pro and see where you fit in the organization.  After they saw him, it might have been: We think you can be our fourth line center.  While it still leaves a hole in UND's lineup, it's hard to blame a late-round pick older player for moving on and cashing big game checks.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Weatherby cracked opening night lineup…pretty impressive.

Got to be happy that his decision paid off, but it is just an even bigger reminder how strong we would have been down the middle with Ford, Schmaltz, Senden/Jamernik, and Weatherby.  On the positive side one less guy to replace next offseason.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Great to see.  Although I'd still rather he be tearing it up for UND this season...could have used a goal or two from him against BSU tonight.

Agree, but those that are of the “Weatherby who” crowd need to realize guys like him succeeding and talking about UND on the NHL Network is good for UND and their future recruiting. 

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

Agree, but those that are of the “Weatherby who” crowd need to realize guys like him succeeding and talking about UND on the NHL Network is good for UND and their future recruiting. 

I was unhappy at first mainly because I didn't think he was ready, but also selfishly since we got burned and could have grabbed another player out of the portal if he signed in April. Clearly I was wrong about his place in the NHL. Still stings but definitely not "addition by subtraction" as was said by some here in the heat of the moment.

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

For sure.  Have to start evening out all those Blue Chippah recruits that UMi keeps getting...

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This ESPN+ multi ast is interesting.

Watched 

Toews vs Nelson, Parise

Jost vs Oshie

Boeser, Poolman vs Caggiula (wolanin scratched)

and Grimaldi...

(Rowney and Stecher scratched for Detroit...... YIkes)

at the same time.

Wolanin getting claimed by Buffalo was a real slap in the face for the messiah of Saint Cloud, Jimmy Schuldt. After hearing for years about how he was a can't miss NHL free agent, he has a grand total of one game played.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 8:38 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

This ESPN+ multi ast is interesting.

Watched 

Toews vs Nelson, Parise

Jost vs Oshie

Boeser, Poolman vs Caggiula (wolanin scratched)

and Grimaldi...

(Rowney and Stecher scratched for Detroit...... YIkes)

at the same time.

If you think about this, I used to play $140.00 for the NHL package and now I am paying $7.00 a month for the hockey package. I really like the ESPN App on my VIZIO TV. I can watch UND football and other sports, to include NHL Hockey. 

56 minutes ago, Gma loves hockey said:

Brock Nelson got a hat trick tonight, then added an empty net goal for his 4th.  6 goals for the year.

Zach Parise got his first 2 points with the Islanders with 2 assists tonight, the second on Brocks 4th goal.

Talked to both of them on Broadway in Nashville last Friday.

53DA7A6D-DE16-45B6-806C-CA9EB4BCDD83.jpeg

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Bummer. I hope another team picks him up. I thought they liked Rocco. 

NSH seems to be in a youth mode at forward save for their high-dollar contracts (92, 95). Move Rocco's $2M and they can have two ELCs on the roster to evaluate. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/predators 

8 hours ago, Gma loves hockey said:

Brock Nelson got the First goal (and second) in their new area, his 8th and 9th goals for the year.

Derek Forbert got 2 goals last night, #3 & 4

TJ Oshie, back from injured reserve, did get an assist last night #3.

Unfortunately Oshie is back on the injury list and is day-to-day. 

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent read on one of my favorite players, Troy Murray.    Here's wishing you a strong and fast recovery, Troy.

Troy Murray, Blackhawk Through and Through

He joined UND in the fall of 1980, a season with 13 new players after the Sioux won the 1980 title and went on to lead the Sioux in scoring as an 18 year old freshman.  But like so many great Sioux players, he was maybe even better at defense than offense.  Certainly worked as hard at it.

Troy went on to win the Selke Trophy as the top defensive forward in the NHL in 1985-1986.  In that season, he put up 99 points. (Let that sink in for a moment.)   Yes, the legs feed the wolf.  But great defense feeds offense too.

Had the fun of meeting him, back in the day, on campus and a couple off campus "events".  A young man with his head on straight.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

An excellent read on one of my favorite players, Troy Murray.    Here's wishing you a strong and fast recovery, Troy.

Troy Murray, Blackhawk Through and Through

He joined UND in the fall of 1980, a season with 13 new players after the Sioux won the 1980 title and went on to lead the Sioux in scoring as an 18 year old freshman.  But like so many great Sioux players, he was maybe even better at defense than offense.  Certainly worked as hard at it.

Troy went on to win the Selke Trophy as the top defensive forward in the NHL in 1985-1986.  In that season, he put up 99 points. (Let that sink in for a moment.)   Yes, the legs feed the wolf.  But great defense feeds offense too.

Had the fun of meeting him, back in the day, on campus and a couple off campus "events".  A young man with his head on straight.   

Great article, thanks.