SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

On 9/27/2021 at 2:35 PM, The Sicatoka said:

No Neil Eisenhut? :D 

Back when Mickey Krampotich wore #8 (83-87), he talked about living up to the reputation of #8 - the last 2 jersey wearers, Dave Tippett and Doug Smail had both made it to the NHL AND been major contributors at UND.    He even went back to the '60's when Merrifield and Kell wore it.

So yeah, I would have put Doug Smail on my Mount Rushmore of jersey wearers for #8.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

On waivers today: Hoping all three get some more looks this year.

Collin Adams

Would have been great to see Adams come back for his 5th season this year.  He would have been a great addition to the offensive production.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:30 PM, farce poobah said:

Back when Mickey Krampotich wore #8 (83-87), he talked about living up to the reputation of #8 - the last 2 jersey wearers, Dave Tippett and Doug Smail had both made it to the NHL AND been major contributors at UND.    He even went back to the '60's when Merrifield and Kell wore it.

So yeah, I would have put Doug Smail on my Mount Rushmore of jersey wearers for #8.

How about Mike Commodore?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

How about Mike Commodore?

A lot depends on ranking criteria, but yes I would put Commodore in that Top Four to wear #8.   His presence kept UND's small and speedy guys from taking cheap shots (Alex Brooks from Wisconsin paid the biggest price/damage in that regard!), and his ability to play a strong and keep-it-simple game in his own zone was key to UND success and got him many years in the NHL.   He also played 3 years at UND, one more than either Tippett or Schmaltz.  And he won an NCAA title (as did Smail, Tippett, Hoogsteen and Schmaltz).

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Yeah, that is very interesting, speculation may be that "fitness" refers to vaccination rather than physicality??

Either way, as you said........ yikes.

That was my first thought, but they were pretty public with their decision on Ronaldo, so it's hard to imagine different circumstances for Cam.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

That was my first thought, but they were pretty public with their decision on Ronaldo, so it's hard to imagine different circumstances for Cam.

Yes, the more I read, it is physical conditioning.  I hope the young man is ok and can overcome the setback, but it sure doesn't appear that its going to be in Columbus as to getting a shot.....    

ufff...

The avenues to AHL camps run green with the blood of alums this week.

Poganski, Mismash, Kawaguchi, Scheel....

in addition to Gersich, Adams, Colton P, and Cam...

Jasper Wetherknee remains the only former UND with a chance to make a team out of camp and make his NHL debut.

10 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

ooof.... somebody slap a tourniquet on this thing....

Buffalo just schwacked Aaron Dell to the waiver wire, I'd say nobody picks him up it might be the end.

He had a bad preseason with Buffalo, and last night was his last chance to show he belonged.  Did not do very well, and did not look comfortable.  Buffalo does not have the greatest D in front of their goal tending, and Dell did not help his case.  I am surprised that McIntyre did not get a look by an NHL team.  He had a real good season in the AHL, but I guess his time has past to give him a shot.  Scheel may get a shot in Dallas if his season with the Texas Stars goes well.

2 hours ago, KSSioux said:

He had a bad preseason with Buffalo, and last night was his last chance to show he belonged.  Did not do very well, and did not look comfortable.  Buffalo does not have the greatest D in front of their goal tending, and Dell did not help his case.  I am surprised that McIntyre did not get a look by an NHL team.  He had a real good season in the AHL, but I guess his time has past to give him a shot.  Scheel may get a shot in Dallas if his season with the Texas Stars goes well.

Yep, I really had hope for Cam Johnson getting in a game this year and for Scheel to sneak up once or twice... It's a tough road for tendys to get to the NHL, Dell certainly has a story and should be very proud of what he has accomplished. 

Maybe they both rebound somewhere,  maybe somewhere with litlle expections, maybe some great coffee and grunge music, maybe a familiar face.

(I fully understand the irony of insinuation Hak being a familiar face while at the same time his english estate manager facial hair may make him anything but recognizable or familiar)