SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

How is he a failure? So he left school after two year that doesn't mean he hasn't finished his degree....

Never said he was a failure in his own right; rather he was a failure for the University. The University took on a student-athlete who didn't fulfill the student-athlete bargain. What is there to be proud of? The University failed its academic mission, and by trumpeting its pride looks more like a professional athlete mill.

• Downvote 4

I'm okay with fans celebrating these type of achievements, as well as local media.  Early departures are a fact of college sports; hell, not even Duke and Coach K can avoid them nowadays (3 freshmen gone within 10 days of winning a title).  But does anybody else find it the least bit hypocritical or tacky for the University of North Dakota to tag this tweet #UNDProud?  After all, isn't UND supposed to be concerned with academics, graduation rates, student-athletes, and all.  Brock (a phenomenal success as a professional athlete) is more of a failure for the University than a success, no?

Strongly Disagree

Never said he was a failure in his own right; rather he was a failure for the University. The University took on a student-athlete who didn't fulfill the student-athlete bargain. What is there to be proud of? The University failed its academic mission, and by trumpeting its pride looks more like a professional athlete mill.

That's what I'm trying to figure out, how do you know the University failed its academic mission with Brock? For all we know he could've taken online classes or summer classes.....

For all the crap about amateurism and the long, slow, and agonizing death of college sports, I tend to think that universities should reserve their 'pride' for situations where the system actually works. Loyalty and commitment are best served by seeing students through to a degree and (almost always) exhausting years of eligibility. Athletic departments are strenghtened with each and every such outcome. Early departures cheapen the whole experience and fuel the criticism that college sports has lost its way.

For all the crap about amateurism and the long, slow, and agonizing death of college sports, I tend to think that universities should reserve their 'pride' for situations where the system actually works. Loyalty and commitment are best served by seeing students through to a degree and (almost always) exhausting years of eligibility. Athletic departments are strenghtened with each and every such outcome. Early departures cheapen the whole experience and fuel the criticism that college sports has lost its way.

Universities and colleges are supposed to help prepare students for their future and help them be successful in that future.  For many that means getting a degree.  But that isn't true for all.  Do you think Bill Gates was a failure because he didn't finish college?  Do you think that Harvard should be proud of him?  My guess is that they are since they gave him an honorary degree.  How about Frank Lloyd Wright, James Cameron or Tiger Woods?  My guess is that all of their former schools are (or were) proud of them.  The tweet you quoted came from the UND hockey team, they should be very proud of helping a former member of the team become successful.

• Upvote 4

But you have to look at who is "best served" by seeing them through to a degree. I think the mission of the University is to prepare its students to succeed in their chosen professional career. Brock came to UND and after two years was prepared to move on to his professional career. It appears that he made the right choice for himself, and perhaps he was best served by leaving after two years. If a student in the business school had learned all she needed to after two years in order to start her own successful business (not to mention one where she would make millions), would you say she would be "best served" to finish her degree? How would that help her or the University.

The fans may benefit from having players like Brock stay for four years, but certainly the players are sometimes better served by moving on to pursue their lifelong dream when they are ready.

I'm okay with fans celebrating these type of achievements, as well as local media.  Early departures are a fact of college sports; hell, not even Duke and Coach K can avoid them nowadays (3 freshmen gone within 10 days of winning a title).  But does anybody else find it the least bit hypocritical or tacky for the University of North Dakota to tag this tweet #UNDProud?  After all, isn't UND supposed to be concerned with academics, graduation rates, student-athletes, and all.  Brock (a phenomenal success as a professional athlete) is more of a failure for the University than a success, no?

Completely disagree.  Scholarships are one-year deals.  Brock fulfilled his obligation to UND when he played hockey for the only two years he was on scholarship.  The focus should really be on universities that drop players' scholarships for injuries, underperforming, better recruits coming in, etc.

File this fun fact in the useless knowledge bin:

In preparation for the big game tonight in Winnipeg, the first playoff game in Winnipeg since 1996, I happened to watch a few YouTube clips of the last NHL playoff game in the old Winnipeg Arena.  The Detroit Red Wings beat the Jets 4-1 in game 6 to send the Jets off to Arizona.  Greg Johnson was on that Red Wing team to play the last NHL game in the old Winnipeg Arena.

File this fun fact in the useless knowledge bin:

In preparation for the big game tonight in Winnipeg, the first playoff game in Winnipeg since 1996, I happened to watch a few YouTube clips of the last NHL playoff game in the old Winnipeg Arena.  The Detroit Red Wings beat the Jets 4-1 in game 6 to send the Jets off to Arizona.  Greg Johnson was on that Red Wing team to play the last NHL game in the old Winnipeg Arena.

Not sure if they'll have enough to overcome 0-2 to the Ducks (I hope they do), but boy...do they know how to do a white-out.  Should be a great night with two of the best arenas and atmospheres in the NHL on the big stage.  

Well at least we didn't pull a Texas and retire his number.(Durrant)

Well at least we didn't pull a Texas and retire his number.(Durrant)

Texas has a policy of retiring the number for anyone that wins National Player of the Year, which Durant did.  He is without a doubt the biggest name to come through that program.

Also, I know there is a lot of $$$$$$ behind it but we retired the jersey number of a guy that only played 14 games for us.  Not saying that #23 shouldn't be retired but just that we have also retired a number of a guy that didn't play very much for us.

Texas has a policy of retiring the number for anyone that wins National Player of the Year, which Durant did.  He is without a doubt the biggest name to come through that program.

Also, I know there is a lot of $$$$$$ behind it but we retired the jersey number of a guy that only played 14 games for us.  Not saying that #23 shouldn't be retired but just that we have also retired a number of a guy that didn't play very much for us.

I'm sure if you donated a figure in the 9-digit mark to the university, you could have any number retired you wanted.   :)

I was thinking the same thing, not hard to understand, IMO.

That's why I said there was a lot of money behind it... I clearly understand it.

My point is that we can't really point a finger at them for retiring a number of a guy who only played one year when we retired a number of a guy that played even less for us.  That's it.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it okay to say UNDPROUD to Rocco now? I mean he did graduate after taking a full course load while playing professional hockey.....

Is it okay to say UNDPROUD to Rocco now? I mean he did graduate after taking a full course load while playing professional hockey.....

Thanks for dredging this up.  Yes, the use of #UNDPROUD by UND should be reserved for UND student athletes who finish their UND studies and obtain a UND degree.  Is this a difficult concept?

Thanks for dredging this up.  Yes, the use of #UNDPROUD by UND should be reserved for UND student athletes who finish their UND studies and obtain a UND degree.  Is this a difficult concept?

Is it a difficult concept to understand that even though they leave early, they are never done working towards a degree? It is nice to know that UND is still willing to help them after they leave....

• Upvote 2