SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Doesn't the captain get two days though?  Not saying its coming here because I'm sure there would have been a press release but it's still technically possible.

Yes, he does get 2 days.  I agree - I would think that if he was bringing it to GF and the Ralph that it would have been announced and plans would have been made ahead of time.

I've heard it has something to do with his brother not getting much playing time here, not sure though, just rumors

If that's his reason that's pretty weak.  And regardless of how much playing time his brother got, UND is still the place that helped him realize his dream of playing in the NHL.  He should show appreciation for that.

I've heard it has something to do with his brother not getting much playing time here, not sure though, just rumors

That is what it is, rumors. I'm not sure why people get all bent out of shape if someone doesn't bring the cup to Grand Forks. With the Cup being in Grand Forks last year, I can see why he would choose not to bring it back. These players have played many other place in their careers; Grand Forks/UND was just a stop along the way. How many players have gone through Shattuck's program and never brought it their? We as fans shouldn't hold anything against him because he didn't bring the cup here. 

• Upvote 1

I posted this on here in March.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4687961/respect-for-toews-remains-great-at-north-Dakota

Toews, who is in his eighth NHL season, looks fondly back at his time at North Dakota. He credited his college experience to assisting in his current NHL one. 

To hear his name was still being used within the walls of Ralph Engelstad Arena and he had a lasting legacy at the school was significant to Toews.

“That means a lot,” Toews said. “I think those are important years in your career. For me, I had a great experience at North Dakota. We didn’t win a championship. We were very close two years in a row. That was a tough one to leave behind especially when you’re with great friends and good teammates.

“I think for me it was a great place for me to go to and develop and step up and have a chance to play in the NHL. Obviously, it means a lot. I’ve had an eventful career so far, and they definitely have their place in the contribution to that.”

• Upvote 1

Doesn't the captain get two days though? Not saying its coming here because I'm sure there would have been a press release but it's still technically possible.

Right...that's why I would not be surprised If the Cup didn't make it to GF.

I find it funny that people honestly think Toews is upset with UND (about his brother's playing time, no less), because he would rather take the Stanley Cup to sick kids in a hospital than to Grand Forks.  Really?!

Or have kids play a game of street hockey for the Stanley Cup.

Hockey Hall of Fame @HockeyHallFame 4h4 hours ago

Jonathan Toews & some friends just finished a game of road hockey with the Stanley Cup on the line. @keeperofthecup pic.twitter.com/PAipBISljB

CJkoxKKUkAATzxW.jpg

Philip Pritchard @keeperofthecup 7h7 hours ago

Playing road hockey with a #StanleyCup champion...priceless! #BecauseItsTheCup @NHLBlackhawks @HockeyHallFame pic.twitter.com/fd5J0zqLL9

CJkGlBhWIAA8OZW.jpg

The people loaning and crying and whining about Toews not bring the Stanley Cup to GF and laying it at their feet as he genuflects to their hockey wisdom are just absurd.

Toews owes you nothing, it makes Sioux fans look terrible.

I am referencing the facebook comments I've seen today.......

• Upvote 3

What he's doing with the Cup in Winnipeg is pure class. As a Sioux fan, it gives me more pride to see him doing that than parading it around the Ralph so we can have a jacked up fan experience.

Couldn't agree more. What he's doing with it, and the experiences he's making for the youth is infinitely more valuable than having three thousand fans line up and get five seconds to pose with the cup.

Per rotoworld.com:

Nick Mattson has agreed to a one-year deal with AHL Rockford.

The Rockford IceHogs are affiliated with the Chicago Blackhawks. Mattson was taken by Chicago with the 180th overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He went on to play for the University of North Dakota and is going pro after completing his senior year. He had four goals and 21 points in 33 games last season.