SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

Junior Lessard got some time this season with Tampa Bay. I enjoyed watching him his senior year at UMD. It's almost hard to believe the guy is pushing 30. Career NHL totals: 27 games, 3 goals, 1 assist.

Peter Sejna is now in Zurich, Switzerland. Career NHL totals: 49 games, 7 goals, 4 assists.

I think Buffalo should pull out all the stops on this Gerbe kid. I heard he's pretty good.

I was told by the Sabres prospect blogger that Gerbe will probably be gone.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by the Sabres prospect blogger that Gerbe will probably be gone.

Buffalo needs guys who can put pucks in the net and fans' butts in the seats. Gerbe can do both. After losing Briere to Philadelphia, I can picture Buffalo doing everything it can to sign the next 'little big man' in the NHL.

Buffalo needs guys who can put pucks in the net and fans' butts in the seats. Gerbe can do both. After losing Briere to Philadelphia, I can picture Buffalo doing everything it can to sign the next 'little big man' in the NHL.

Yep and his tourney proves as much that he is ready for the next step.

Per radio today, there is some speculation that Finley might return next year.

Unlike some on this board who keep throwing Joe Finley under the bus, I view that as very encouraging. Joe did not play his best the last few weeks of the year, but he was solid throughout the year. He would be a great leader next year and would be one of the better returning defensemen in the league.

Unlike some on this board who keep throwing Joe Finley under the bus, I view that as very encouraging. Joe did not play his best the last few weeks of the year, but he was solid throughout the year. He would be a great leader next year and would be one of the better returning defensemen in the league.

Agree 100%. I'd love to have Big Joe on the blue line next year.

Finley coming back would be huge. He might not be everyone's favorite guy, but his experience in the defensive corps would be extremely beneficial. I have heard he's one of the more likely guys to return, as well as duncan. i heard a lot of things in denver about guys coming back/not coming back. we'll see what pans out in the coming weeks I suppose.

Having Joe back for another year would be great. For those who say we don't need him back because we have freshman coming in take a look at LaPoint. LaPoint will be much better next year but was he as solid and polished as the hype coming in?? Freshman D-man struggle in the WCHA plain and simple. Joe would provide leadership and experience as well as improved play.

If Wheeler signs with Phoenix there would be no reason for Joe to stay in college next year. :silly:

If Wheeler signs with Phoenix there would be no reason for Joe to stay in college next year. :silly:

STAY Wheeler, STAY!

Good dog! :lol:

No argument here. Having Finley around would make everyone happy. Those of us who root for the team no matter what will have a tried and true vet on the blue line. Those of us who dislike him will have someone to chastise for every little thing he does. It's a win-win.

Whoever is saying that they don't want Big Joe around for another year is insane! With his size and potential to lead a young defensive crew, are you kidding me? Washington can't wait for Joe to leave UND and we have people pushing him out the door? Get real people! Professional scouts know talent and don't recommend guys being drafted for no reason (well except for Mike Piazza, but that turned out pretty good).

Bottom line is if we hate to see our guys leave for the big money contracts; we need to embrace those that make the dedication to stay! I don't know what kind of character guy Joe is in the locker room, but I have read several articles or heard word of mouth stories about Joe going out of his way to sign a stick for an ailing fan and to be the first one to take a guy under one of his huge arms and give him a pick me up. Don't be surprised if Joe comes back and is wearing a big "C" (or at least an "A") on his sweater next year!

For those of you who want Big Joe to leave, I would like to see you back on here 365 days from now eating crow!

Whoever is saying that they don't want Big Joe around for another year is insane! With his size and potential to lead a young defensive crew, are you kidding me? Washington can't wait for Joe to leave UND and we have people pushing him out the door? Get real people! Professional scouts know talent and don't recommend guys being drafted for no reason (well except for Mike Piazza, but that turned out pretty good).

Bottom line is if we hate to see our guys leave for the big money contracts; we need to embrace those that make the dedication to stay! I don't know what kind of character guy Joe is in the locker room, but I have read several articles or heard word of mouth stories about Joe going out of his way to sign a stick for an ailing fan and to be the first one to take a guy under one of his huge arms and give him a pick me up. Don't be surprised if Joe comes back and is wearing a big "C" (or at least an "A") on his sweater next year!

For those of you who want Big Joe to leave, I would like to see you back on here 365 days from now eating crow!

Joe will not be here, so don't get your hopes up.

I can validate the signing stuff. My son tried (didn't succeed) in getting a broken stick after EVERY game this year. The last half of the year on almost every night it was big Joe signing items until all the kids had something signed. TJ did it at least 4-6 times and Chorney a few as well. Very nice of the guys....almost a farewell of sorts! Also, remember the Lee bashing and look at him....playing quality minutes in the playoffs in his first year gone.

Is there a point in the off season that a player has to committ to the following season? Like say, if players haven't left by June 1st, it's a good bet they are staying? Do they have to let Hak know by a certain date?

There's no set date. Lucia set a hard date for his players last year. I've never heard such a thing from Hakstol or his staff.

Obviously, the sooner the better. I think Bochenski left just before classes started. They had even printed the season tickets that year that had his picture on them.

And you have more inside info than TH? :silly:

FWIW, I have heard that there is a good chance Joe will be back. Does this mean he will be back? No, but the probability is at least 50/50 maybe higher. The info comes from people that I regard as very reliable in this matter.

There's no set date. Lucia set a hard date for his players last year. I've never heard such a thing from Hakstol or his staff.

Lucia can't set a hard date because he doesn't make the rules. He may have indicated publicly that he would have liked players to make a decision by a certain date, but don't confuse that with the truth. Lucia would have waited all summer to have a chance at another season from RP, DI, EJ, KO, PK, etc....

Same with next year and Wheeler, Stoa, and the rest who may get professional offers.

I'm not saying I want Joe pushed out the door, all I've said is that of the list of potential players leaving-oshie, chorney, duncan and finley he would be number 4 on the list. I do think that if he did return he would be a huge assett instead of having 3 freshman defenseman inthe lineup on a nightly basis we would only have 2 which could be huge.

I'm not saying I want Joe pushed out the door, all I've said is that of the list of potential players leaving-oshie, chorney, duncan and finley he would be number 4 on the list. I do think that if he did return he would be a huge assett instead of having 3 freshman defenseman inthe lineup on a itghtly basis we would only have 2 which could be huge.

Do you see Duncan leaving? I know he went to St. Louis last year with TJ, but I just don't see him leaving for AHL money. I hope he stays and wears the C next year. He is my son's hero, and I promised him if they make it to DC I will take him.

Do you see Duncan leaving? I know he went to St. Louis last year with TJ, but I just don't see him leaving for AHL money. I hope he stays and wears the C next year. He is my son's hero, and I promised him if they make it to DC I will take him.

It's a possibilty he got some offers last year and will get some this year, I think it is 50/50 he will return. I really hope he does.