SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

Finley does have some remaining developmental issues. It is precisely for that reason that the Caps sign him this year.

NHL GM's view college and major junior as "free" development. They also view a first round pick as a huge investment. Even if unsigned, that selection carries with it tremendous opportunity cost.

In any business, at a certain point you have to start investing "in" in order to get more "out". I think the Caps are poised to do that with Joe. Get him 100% focused on hockey. Play him in the AHL for two years if need be. Develop him and hopefully you have a Zdena Chara in five years.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might not be. I can't find a prospect report on Chara, but the guy got awfully good over time.

Finley is capable of that.

Really? My sarcasm meter is broken..you think Finley has the ability to be an NHL All-Star?

I will take "no way" for $300 Alex.

I will be suprised if he plays 50 games in the NHL.

I think we can better understand how fans from other WCHA teams felt about Panzer when he graduated. Gerbe was special, and his departure is college hockey's loss. For the sake of players who depend upon speed, skill and smarts, I hope he hits it big at the next level.

Really? My sarcasm meter is broken..you think Finley has the ability to be an NHL All-Star?

I will take "no way" for $300 Alex.

I will be suprised if he plays 50 games in the NHL.

Lets just also remember that Finley is a good hockey player. He could develop into a above average player. But the Goofs lost Jeff Frazee this year and that boy just can't play. He might start for the Shakopee Pee-wee's next year, then again a 10 year old might get the job over him...

Lets just also remember that Finley is a good hockey player. He could develop into a above average player. But the Goofs lost Jeff Frazee this year and that boy just can't play. He might start for the Shakopee Pee-wee's next year, then again a 10 year old might get the job over him...

Gopher fan might be right in that Finley may not be an NHL All Star.

However I do believe Finley will play in the NHL. I don't think for a second he'll jump directly to the NHL like Erik Johnson, though. I think he'll spend some time in the AHL.

But he will play in the NHL regularly.

What does Frazee have to do with Finley being an NHL caliber player?

well thought out.. :glare:

Gopher fan might be right in that Finley may not be an NHL All Star.

However I do believe Finley will play in the NHL. I don't think for a second he'll jump directly to the NHL like Erik Johnson, though. I think he'll spend some time in the AHL.

But he will play in the NHL regularly.

You have seen him play more than me. Chances are you will be correct, I will be wrong. I wish him the best..if he moves on :glare: I just don't see it. Chorney has the ability to be an All-Star in my opinion, Before EJ. Chorney belongs on the ice and has the instincts to go along with the skills. Johnson on the other hand, looks like a fish out of water way to much.

What does Frazee have to do with Finley being an NHL caliber player?

well thought out.. :D

Forgive me, but going into Minneapolis, I thought Frazee would be a sure fire NHLer someday.

The fact is that I'm now uncertain if he'll even make the AHL team out of camp is how far my opinion of him has changed.

Finley had a rough freshman year, but I can honestly say that he has improved every single season he's played for the Sioux. I think he could use a senior year, sure, but some teams only look for a prospect making strides every year before deciding to take control. Other times it's "just time." In Frazee's case it was a salvage operation.