SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that Duncs wasn't drafted so it may be somewhat riskyier for him to return. If he gets a solid deal I think he is gone. My prediction is Osh, Kozak, Chorney, Finley, and Duncan will all go.

I see what you are saying, not being drafted and all, but I think it is 50/50 he stays. What the AHL has to offer, will always be there. Another year to get better, another year at UND leading the Fighting Sioux, a degree to fall back on. It would take mid six figures to walk away from that, or a one way contract. I hope he stays . . . . either way I will cheer for him.

From Sunday April 13 Star Tribune (What Sid Hartman has to say)

New Wild owner is drawing praise

Working with colleges

There were a lot of hockey people upset when the New York Islanders signed Kyle Okposo off the Gophers in the middle of the season.

"We've been in discussions with the commissioners of the collegiate hockey conferences, and it's a complicated issue, but it's one we're sensitive to," Bettman said. "And we're going to be working with the colleges and the players association to see what we can do to maybe make a little more sense out of this whole process."

Brock Trotter also departed a WCHA team for the NHL before the college season was over, leaving Denver for the Montreal Canadiens organization in March.

"'Oh, obviously nobody likes to see that, but it's the player's choice," Bettman said. "It's something we have to talk to all the constituent groups about, taking into account the players as well."

Bettman said he thought the most recent collective bargaining agreement would encourage players to remain in college for four years.

"If you stay in for your four years, you can become a free agent very quickly, but instead of encouraging players to stay in college, it may have had the opposite effect of encouraging teams to get the players out as quickly as possible," he said.

yekcoh:

Your signature makes me think regarding Bettman... what's more frustrating: Not being able to fix stupid or seeing that continuing Bettman's employment is stupid and not fixing it?

It's hard enough seeing something that is stupid that you can do nothing about, but when there is action you can take (firing Bettman in this case) and it isn't being done is more frustrating.

"We need to fix this problem but it is the player's choice" Okposo chose to sign the dotted line after Snow told him to sign. So, was it or wasn't it Okposo's choice?

It's the "we need to do something so we'll see if we can do something."

Nobody really knows or has said how the Snow/Okposo negotiations went. The only strange part was the idea that Okposo obviously would have signed for the nine NHL games and an AHL deal at the beginning of the season. It really seems like a problem that doesn't need fixing because most guys aren't going to walk on their team for the cup of coffee that Okposo got.

Nobody really knows or has said how the Snow/Okposo negotiations went. The only strange part was the idea that Okposo obviously would have signed for the nine NHL games and an AHL deal at the beginning of the season. It really seems like a problem that doesn't need fixing because most guys aren't going to walk on their team for the cup of coffee that Okposo got.

I don't know if you remember the discussion but last summer KO want to go to the pros and the Islanders told him he could go to the Major Juniors or back to the Gophers. When he signed with the Islanders after Snow deciding they would sign him didn't surprise me. Even Gophers blow hard Lou Nanne was surprised that Kyle didn't sign. I have read a few places that he really wanted to sign and was going to last summer as well.

anyone know what number TJ will be in st. louis?

Some opinion on what the St. Louis Blues are looking to do...

"A prospect who is a little closer, in terms of physical maturity as well as geography, is T.J. Oshie , who was the leading scorer at the University of North Dakota. Oshie has one year of college elibility remaining, but the Blues most assuredly want to get him signed and into the organization as quickly as possible.

If both Oshie and Berglund are ready for the NHL, then the Blues may have the makings of a decent crop of forwards, with a balance of youth and experience. Since their readiness is still a question mark, however, the Blues may dip into the free agent market if there is a good veteran who will come at a decent price (Chicago's Jason Williams comes to mind), but don't expect the Blues to break the bank for a "name" guy. "

Some opinion on what the St. Louis Blues are looking to do...

"A prospect who is a little closer, in terms of physical maturity as well as geography, is T.J. Oshie , who was the leading scorer at the University of North Dakota. Oshie has one year of college elibility remaining, but the Blues most assuredly want to get him signed and into the organization as quickly as possible.

If both Oshie and Berglund are ready for the NHL, then the Blues may have the makings of a decent crop of forwards, with a balance of youth and experience. Since their readiness is still a question mark, however, the Blues may dip into the free agent market if there is a good veteran who will come at a decent price (Chicago's Jason Williams comes to mind), but don't expect the Blues to break the bank for a "name" guy. "

Holy Cow, people have caught onto the Wild mantra! Or is it the Twins mantra? Or...the Vikings? Heck, I can't tell them apart front office wise.

From that mentality, players just factor into COGS. Sad...I wish all owners were fans first, but alas, this is America and it is a for-profit enterprise. The perfect model from that perspective is the Twins, with great farm systems and trading off all superstars once they become costly in exchange for three or four prospects. If you can make it one round in the playoffs, that extra revenue is just gravy.

From that mentality, players just factor into COGS. Sad...I wish all owners were fans first, but alas, this is America and it is a for-profit enterprise. The perfect model from that perspective is the Twins, with great farm systems and trading off all superstars once they become costly in exchange for three or four prospects. If you can make it one round in the playoffs, that extra revenue is just gravy.

Yup.

Not that I'm a Forsberg fan (he taught Robbie Earl everything he learned on diving), but imagine if Minnesota made the moves Colorado made this year... getting Salei from Florida, Forsberg from Sweden, and Foote from Columbus (I think). Well, we'd still be watching Wild hockey right now, that's for sure... Ok, well, we'd be waiting for their next opponent anyways.

Yup.

Not that I'm a Forsberg fan (he taught Robbie Earl everything he learned on diving), but imagine if Minnesota made the moves Colorado made this year... getting Salei from Florida, Forsberg from Sweden, and Foote from Columbus (I think). Well, we'd still be watching Wild hockey right now, that's for sure... Ok, well, we'd be waiting for their next opponent anyways.

The sad part is San Jose got Campbell pretty cheap and so did Colorado with Salei, Minnesota's problem is they need to fire the GM and maybe the coach because what they are doing isn't working anymore. Minnesota is full of perimeter players that will not go in the dirty areas to score goals, PMB is a perfect example of that type of player. I am sick of watching a team full of pretty boys that are affraid to get their uniforms creased. The trade dead line pick up of Simon was a joke, why did they pick him up? I have heard the new Owner will spend the money to put a good team on the ice and I hope they do but the Wild with their current team is way toooo soft. You need tough players that score and play physical. The Wild need to get a player like Milan Lucic, that kid is going to be a star...

The Wild lack a big forward with solid hands. Rolston is getting up there, we need a young guy, like a Kunitz, Getzlaf, or Thornton type forward. It seems like we have finesse Euro's or brawlers. Name one other team have guys like Boogard, Simon, and Voros in their line up. I think Leipold will spend money, he has always wanted to come back home and put a winner in Minnesota. If he can land a premiere proven name, a Cory Perry or Marian Hossa for instance, this off season I think this could be a team ready to make a run.

--Breakin face "Barry Melrose's Undisclosed Source"

The Wild lack a big forward with solid hands. Rolston is getting up there, we need a young guy, like a Kunitz, Getzlaf, or Thornton type forward. It seems like we have finesse Euro's or brawlers. Name one other team have guys like Boogard, Simon, and Voros in their line up. I think Leipold will spend money, he has always wanted to come back home and put a winner in Minnesota. If he can land a premiere proven name, a Cory Perry or Marian Hossa for instance, this off season I think this could be a team ready to make a run.

--Breakin face "Barry Melrose's Undisclosed Source"

Don't think Kunitz is the type of player you're looking for, he is more of a smaller fast player.

Don't think Kunitz is the type of player you're looking for, he is more of a smaller fast player.

I have to say that though I don't agree with what "breakin face" has to say he sure has made me laugh allot sinc he joined. Give him time to catch up and figure out you can't post/write everything that comes to your mind. Wonder if he's counting his posts for today?

And while I think AK will do fine wherever he goes.....we can all hope it's just not a year early because for every Zajac there's a Roche, Bayda (even though he's now in the NHL) , etc waiting in the wings thinking it's their time.