SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its official. Frazee is gone.

Is there a press release somewhere? The rumors do seem to have a lot of substance, but I want to see something first.

i dont feel sorry for him one bit but do wish him luck. sounds like a lot of it is a jeff problem and thats his job to figure out. in order to be a solid goalie at a very high level your head better be in the right place!

I'm not entirely convinced that the struggle he has had in D-I can be pinned squarely on him, but admittedly the case for him doesn't look good. As I commented on GPL, he has great numbers with USA Hockey and, besides the long Bina goal, he seemed to do OK in his sophomore year with the Gophers and worked much harder in his player development and practice these last two years, but still the slump he had in his freshman year with the whole Blarney's thing distracting him and relying too much on the likes of Goligoski, Vannelli, and Johnson to be in front of him burning him this past year makes me wonder if D-I was really the best place for him to be and hope a change of scenery now entering the New Jersey organization will help him get his game back on much like when he went to Sweden for the 2007 WJC.

Either way, since it looks like he's packed his bags, now the search begins for goalies #2 and #3 in Minneapolis.

Is there a press release somewhere? The rumors do seem to have a lot of substance, but I want to see something first.

I'm not entirely convinced that the struggle he has had in D-I can be pinned squarely on him, but admittedly the case for him doesn't look good. As I commented on GPL, he has great numbers with USA Hockey and, besides the long Bina goal, he seemed to do OK in his sophomore year with the Gophers and worked much harder in his player development and practice these last two years, but still the slump he had in his freshman year with the whole Blarney's thing distracting him and relying too much on the likes of Goligoski, Vannelli, and Johnson to be in front of him burning him this past year makes me wonder if D-I was really the best place for him to be and hope a change of scenery now entering the New Jersey organization will help him get his game back on much like when he went to Sweden for the 2007 WJC.

Either way, since it looks like he's packed his bags, now the search begins for goalies #2 and #3 in Minneapolis.

I was wondering who the Gophers were going to bring in. Josh Robinson just committed to MTU and he would have been a good backup for Kangas.

the 3rd stringer will for sure be a walk on, but maybe this will be the opening that Kent Patterson waited for?

In any case, I'm only bummed about Frazee leaving because he helped enforce me as a terrible predicter. He was SUPPOSED to wrest the #1 spot away from Sieve Briggs by January of his freshman year (much like Kangas wrested it from him a bit earlier in the season IIRC).

I'm not sympathetic because it seems, if the rumors hold true, that much of his struggles (including all of it off the ice) were his doing. It's just amazing that a goaltender that has been solid (regardless of Toews' performance) internationally can tank like Frazee did.

I heard from a fairly reliable source that Chorney is gone after the season. I know this isn't shocking news by any means, but after hearing this, I'm no longer holding out hope that he will be back for his senior season.

From very reliable sources, Oshie, Chorney, and Finley are all gone. Duncan is a question mark.

From very reliable sources, Oshie, Chorney, and Finley are all gone. Duncan is a question mark.

I think most of us are resigned to that fact. I sat next to Chorney friend at the final five and he said Chorney will sign in the off season.

Yeah So... well if we and the players are more worried about signing than winning the national title....well then BC will take us to the woodshed. Who gives a rip about very reliable sources...this is not news, beat BC for cripes sake!!!

No more Frazee!! :lol:

Rip all you want on Jeff Frazee, I'm actually going to stand up for the guy. Kyle Okposo says good-bye to the Gopher program in mid-season and fans brand him a traitor. Had Frazee done the same thing after his benching, you guys would have cheered.

The guy was the Gopher starting goalie and World Jr. Tournament goalie and barely played in the second half of the season. His unpaid goalie coach made disparaging comments about him in the Twin Cities' own newspaper. Jeff could have pouted and become a team cancer. Instead, from what I saw, he sat on the bench and appeared to support his teammates, even though many of them threw him under the bus by publicly lobbying for his benching. He finished out the season and has now chosen to take another path to try to advance his career. I don't defend Gopher players very often, but I give Jeff Frazee lots of credit for how he handled this season.

Rip all you want on Jeff Frazee, I'm actually going to stand up for the guy. Kyle Okposo says good-bye to the Gopher program in mid-season and fans brand him a traitor. Had Frazee done the same thing after his benching, you guys would have cheered.

The guy was the Gopher starting goalie and World Jr. Tournament goalie and barely played in the second half of the season. His unpaid goalie coach made disparaging comments about him in the Twin Cities' own newspaper. Jeff could have pouted and become a team cancer. Instead, from what I saw, he sat on the bench and appeared to support his teammates, even though many of them threw him under the bus by publicly lobbying for his benching. He finished out the season and has now chosen to take another path to try to advance his career. I don't defend Gopher players very often, but I give Jeff Frazee lots of credit for how he handled this season.

I'm not ripping on him, it's a good thing for him to move on and I respect the way that he handled it. From a playing standpoint, I'm happy he's gone because its all Kangas now. I totally agree with you on that, he definitely grew up this year in regards to his benching and I think the change in environment will be what he needs.

(check the link in my post now, I edited it)

The article backs up all the arguments you made, I'm happy that its a 1 man goalie job now but I have no hard feelings for Jeff and wish him the best of luck, I think he'll do well.

I'm not ripping on him, it's a good thing for him to move on and I respect the way that he handled it. From a playing standpoint, I'm happy he's gone because its all Kangas now. I totally agree with you on that, he definitely grew up this year in regards to his benching and I think the change in environment will be what he needs.

I wasn't implying you personally, gopherz, I meant Gopher fans in general.

Psssst...link didn't work. :lol:

U goalie Frazee turns pro with Devils

Great article, sounds like he handled all this really well, no hard feelings. It's all Kangas now.

why would he have hard feelings? he sucked, had a crappy work ethic and the only thing he did which was deent was didnt quit when he knew he wouldnt ever play again. it was time for him to move on and new jersey had to get him out of there to try to revitalize this pick. it has been all kangas and still is. now we will really see what type of mental frame jeff has in the minors. i hope he gets his career back on track and wish him luck but the problems he had at minny were his dealings, nobody elses so he shouldnt have any hard feelings towards umTC

Yeah So... well if we and the players are more worried about signing than winning the national title....well then BC will take us to the woodshed. Who gives a rip about very reliable sources...this is not news, beat BC for cripes sake!!!

actually, i really enjoy reading comments that have some backing. USA brings to the table what 99% do not.

I wasn't implying you personally, gopherz, I meant Gopher fans in general.

Frazee definitely had his critics, many of them quite vocal who'd cheer if he got pulled during a game, but the ones I've seen don't strike me as the type who'd cheer if he left with his tail between his legs like this mid-season, but we never know... :lol:

AZSIOUX, I'm personally unaware of anything that showed he wasn't trying this season. I know he got benched one weekend last season when he eased off the gas pedal during practice one week, but this year all indications I saw were that he was trying and for some reason just was not delivering.

Frazee definitely had his critics, many of them quite vocal who'd cheer if he got pulled during a game, but the ones I've seen don't strike me as the type who'd cheer if he left with his tail between his legs like this mid-season, but we never know... :lol:

AZSIOUX, I'm personally unaware of anything that showed he wasn't trying this season. I know he got benched one weekend last season when he eased off the gas pedal during practice one week, but this year all indications I saw were that he was trying and for some reason just was not delivering.

wasnt it dubay who said over the break during xmas his pads just hung there and he didnt do a thing questioning jeff big time? i remember hearing that. whatever. his career at umtc ended up being a joke going back to the bina goal and then the 2 half courters i believe in st cloud that sealed his fate at a gopher. he started out very well splitting time but then when he was asked to be the man, he had problems

wasnt it dubay who said over the break during xmas his pads just hung there and he didnt do a thing questioning jeff big time? i remember hearing that. whatever. his career at umtc ended up being a joke going back to the bina goal and then the 2 half courters i believe in st cloud that sealed his fate at a gopher. he started out very well splitting time but then when he was asked to be the man, he had problems

I am sure he is a decent goalie but I think there is some focus/confidence issues, which could be fixed but I don't forsee it, he will probably spend the rest of his hockey career as a backup, since there are many more talented goalies than him that can work hard, have confidence and can be the man and focus on the task at hand.

I think he needs to grow up as well.