Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jdub27

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

You think they can take their arena and go back to Vegas? :lol:

It would make an impressive showcase for someone's car collection say, from 1930s Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blackheart said:

A lot can change in 12 years.  UND may end up playing over on the East Side in some tiny arena if they aren't careful...

Not exactly sure how that could ever happen. UND had a master lease that keeps them in the building until they take ownership, they own the land the building sits on and unless there is significant subsidies, they are needed as a tenant to keep the lights on. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we know what Ralph would do.

Wasn’t that long ago Ralph said to a professor if he could he would fire her ass for taking a stance that Ralph didn’t like.

who knows what’s going on between theses two but why piss off our biggest donor.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kab said:

I think we know what Ralph would do.

Wasn’t that long ago Ralph said to a professor if he could he would fire her ass for taking a stance that Ralph didn’t like.

who knows what’s going on between theses two but why piss off our biggest donor.

 

 

Ralph also told Earl Strinden he saw the Sioux name getting changed so maybe Ralph would be acceptable on Fighting Hawks or another name  besides Sioux. I am sure Ralph wouldn’t just run to the paper like his daughter did, he would actually have the balls to sit down with Kennedy and come to an agreement. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure all of this is over Kennedy getting rid of Women's hockey. The foundation was one of the big supporters of women's hockey before it was cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I'm pretty sure all of this is over Kennedy getting rid of Women's hockey. The foundation was one of the big supporters of women's hockey before it was cancelled.

I was not aware there was more than one supporter of women’s hockey.  

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yup just the foundation and schoossman 

Don’t forget the hundreds on social media who somehow got lost of the way to the Arena and never made it to a game.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Don’t forget the hundreds on social media who somehow got lost of the way to the Arena and never made it to a FREE game.

FIXED

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Ralph also told Earl Strinden he saw the Sioux name getting changed so maybe Ralph would be acceptable on Fighting Hawks or another name  besides Sioux. I am sure Ralph wouldn’t just run to the paper like his daughter did, he would actually have the balls to sit down with Kennedy and come to an agreement. 

Ralph also announced in the papers that if the Sioux name was changed while the REA was still under construction he would cut the utilities and just let the place let empty and half finished.    That should have been enough of a lesson for anyone at UND to remember not to alienate anyone named Englestad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TRex said:

Ralph also announced in the papers that if the Sioux name was changed while the REA was still under construction he would cut the utilities and just let the place let empty and half finished.    That should have been enough of a lesson for anyone at UND to remember not to alienate anyone named Ralph Englestad.

Fixed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TRex said:

Ralph also announced in the papers that if the Sioux name was changed while the REA was still under construction he would cut the utilities and just let the place let empty and half finished.    That should have been enough of a lesson for anyone at UND to remember not to alienate anyone named Englestad.

It was reported in the paper that he would do that.  He did not come to the GFH with that info.  In fact, he did not respond to requests for information from the GFH when we sought it much less talk to the GFH at all at that time.  The GFH was tipped off to the "Dear Chuck" letter by another source. Ralph's tactics were completely different than his daughter's. Not saying she's wrong; she can do what she wants...just saying it's different.  People can assign their own opinions to what they think of the tactics.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall the REA nor the foundation ever speaking in support of retaining WIH.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UNDBIZ said:

I don't recall the REA nor the foundation ever speaking in support of retaining WIH.

Don't quote me, and I could be wrong, but I always got the impression that "off the record" they considered it a bit of an albatross in the way of the main focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might not have the ICON arena without their help, but that’s hockey so we should rip on them for not donating to something for other sports.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, a contract is a contract. If the REA doesn't want to change the terms there really isn't much the school can do about it. 

 

As for the WH and REA relationship, that certainly seems like something that should have been discussed before the school cut the program. Kennedy is a fool if he didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

As for the WH and REA relationship, that certainly seems like something that should have been discussed before the school cut the program. Kennedy is a fool if he didn't.

They were notified before the decision was announced and my source said they gave zero sh*ts.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They were notified before the decision was announced and my source said they gave zero sh*ts.  

You mean they weren’t relying on their slice of women’s hockey revenue pie?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 11:32 AM, The Sicatoka said:

< glancing BIZ's way >

Soooo, ... has anyone looked at the Form 990s of the entities* that are responsible for and run REA?
What do their balance sheets and such look like? 

I'll hang up and listen. 

 

*The entities:
UND Arena Services  EIN: 14-1846178 
UND Sports Facilities EIN: 36-4511153 
Ralph Engelstad Arene EIN: 11-3666663
 

B4 I left for the weekend, some taught we had two entities.

Now looks like we have a three-some.

Respectable gang here, maybe we should keep our noses out of this one?

 

Again, seems like president Kennedy took a puff from president Kupchella's old peace pipe and then replied to the GF Herald, Kris McGarry seems content, all is good in Hockey Town.

Till someone stirs the pot again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Don't quote me, and I could be wrong, but I always got the impression that "off the record" they considered it a bit of an albatross in the way of the main focus.

You're right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Respectable gang here, maybe we should keep our noses out of this one?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but Form 990 is what a non-profit files in lieu of a traditional tax return. And because they are a non-profit it must be publicly available.

So, if you want to know what the ND Alzheimer's Ass'n did with your donation last year, it's out there.
On a rural water, electric, or telephone cooperative? Their 990 is out there.
Farm Bureau, Right to Life, the Masons: all tax-exempt, all out there. 

Nothing wrong with sunshine. :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but Form 990 is what a non-profit files in lieu of a traditional tax return. And because they are a non-profit it must be publicly available.

So, if you want to know what the ND Alzheimer's Ass'n did with your donation last year, it's out there.
On a rural water, electric, or telephone cooperative? Their 990 is out there.
Farm Bureau, Right to Life, the Masons: all tax-exempt, all out there. 

Nothing wrong with sunshine. :) 

My take thus far is there is a respectable group on the boards of these three. Seems like moving along to the 30 year time table, supporting UND athletics along the way, but hockey is going to get everything it needs first to stay as a top NCAA program, then the residual to the AD. Stirring the pot may not be beneficial in the long run.

Football is never going to get the Engelstad hockey type of support from GF City or the State of ND. WBB and MBB have the same challenges as do the other sports at UND. Outside sources of the State of ND, GF City, and UND are needed to bring the other sports to the level of UND hockey or NDSU football. The reason I bring GF City in is because the City of Fargo gave NDSU a pretty sweet deal for their Dome.

Example, to get UND FB near the top in Div I FCS, we need to fund the program at a higher level. That would be through a big private donation, or a large group of private donations along with continued support from the fans. Spend the money on the coaches and facilities. Increase in fan support should follow. Of course all funds spent must be done wisely.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The reason I bring GF City in is because the City of Fargo gave NDSU a pretty sweet deal for their Dome.

Now definitely not the same, but the City of GF did well by UND Football in building Alerus Center. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but in 2030 UND will take sole ownership of the REA/Betty.  Does this mean that they effectively own REA Inc?  Meaning not only do they get ALL profits for UND games but also for other events in the Ralph as well?  I guess I am confused by some posters on here saying that in 2030 the Ralph is going to go hell because UND won't be able to afford or won't want to maintain the upkeep of the arena(s).  But UND will be getting 100% of all ticket sales, promotional revenue, concessions, etc.  That is going to be a ton of new revenue if that is the case.  Can someone verify this?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×