SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoffs

Cratter

If NDSU or SDSU make it that year....

Seeding would be important vs the AC unless Faison would bid a guarantee beyond the capacity of the Al to ensure a home game.

We'll call that a strategic financial loss for the greater good.

• Upvote 1

so just curious about the obsession of a Big Sky team beating NDSU? I guess i'm not familiar with playoffs, but I think it is kind of funny. Btw, please no smack about the loss to Penn State today, YIKES

I wouldn't call it an obsession. In speaking for myself, my two favorite teams are UND and whoever is playing the bison (as the old saying goes). Also, I think it's somewhat common for fans to cheer on conference mates, especially if your team isn't in the playoffs. Every fan likes to say they are in the toughest conference. If your conference mates do well, that just supports your "theory." Right now, the two (arguably) best conferences in FCS are MVFC and Big Sky...so go Big Sky teams...especially against MVFC teams.

• Upvote 1

4500 people at their first home playoff game in how long? At least they finally realize how playoff tickets work.

It will be interested to see how many tix become available for the NDSU/SDSU game after season ticket holders don't buy their's.

I would guess a majority renewed for the playoffs. SDSU snatched up their allotment, which I believe is 500. We had until tomorrow evening to renew the season ticket option. And there have been instances where they have opened up standing room only tickets and jammed people in the corners. It will be intense. Both teams have great defenses. As far as I'm concerned it's a toss up game.

I would guess a majority renewed for the playoffs. SDSU snatched up their allotment, which I believe is 500. We had until tomorrow evening to renew the season ticket option. And there have been instances where they have opened up standing room only tickets and jammed people in the corners. It will be intense. Both teams have great defenses. As far as I'm concerned it's a toss up game.

The first game broke the attendance record. This game will probably break that record!! I heard that it is also the 100th meeting between the 2 schools!! Should be a good game. Jacks played them tough in the first meeting. Probably the toughest game the Bison played all year!!

Question to anyone who can answer

Is the Dakota Marker being put up for grabs or is that not an option?

At any rate, it will be an absolute battle between these two. However, I see this going 1 of two ways. SDSU in a close one, or NDSU running them out of the Fargodome.

Question to anyone who can answer

Is the Dakota Marker being put up for grabs or is that not an option?

Why would the Dakota Marker be up for grabs? This is a playoff game, advancing to round 3 is up for grabs. That's what the playoffs are all about. You play whomever the NCAA puts in front of you, any regular season rivalry between the teams is irrelevant.

As history has shown when two teams have a traveling trophy the only team that feels the trophy should be up for grabs during the playoffs is the team that lost it during the regular season. With many traveling trophies the winner is awarded the trophy for the year based on the regular season game.

As history has shown when two teams have a traveling trophy the only team that feels the trophy should be up for grabs during the playoffs is the team that lost it during the regular season. With many traveling trophies the winner is awarded the trophy for the year based on the regular season game.

What history shows that? To my knowledge, traveling trophies are never up for grabs in the post-season.

What history shows that? To my knowledge, traveling trophies are never up for grabs in the post-season.

Well in the old days, it was bar-stool history or water-cooler history or, if someone felt strong enough, it was letters-to-the-editor history. Today, it's message board history or twitter history or any other venue where the losing team's fans can rant about how the traveling trophy should be up for grabs every time the teams meet regardless how many times they should happen to meet in a given season. These various histories have also shown us that these same fans' opinions would change once their team was in possession of said trophy.

CMSioux was absolutely correct in what he/she stated. While you are trying to explain the way it works officially, CMSioux was simply pointing to the hypocritical way fans act depending on which team possesses the traveling trophy.

The first time NDSU and UND met in the playoffs there was talk if the nickel should be put up for grabs of course since NDSU lost the regular season game it was brought up by them.

No traveling trophy should be up in the post season. It is a creation of the regular season rivalry. That said, NDSU is gonna have their hands full on Saturday. The offense better come out of the slump or it will be a one and done.

What a Saturday of football on Directv. It is going to be nice out here in WYO, so I kind of wanted to get the boat out for one last fishing trip, but I will be beer drinking and watching TV. First NDSU/SDSU followed by Montana State/Stony Brook......entertainment for folks in the Dakotas and Montana! And, the best thing is.....the pathetic WYO Cowboys are done and I won't have to agonize through another of their crappy games for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

Well in the old days, it was bar-stool history or water-cooler history or, if someone felt strong enough, it was letters-to-the-editor history. Today, it's message board history or twitter history or any other venue where the losing team's fans can rant about how the traveling trophy should be up for grabs every time the teams meet regardless how many times they should happen to meet in a given season. These various histories have also shown us that these same fans' opinions would change once their team was in possession of said trophy.

CMSioux was absolutely correct in what he/she stated. While you are trying to explain the way it works officially, CMSioux was simply pointing to the hypocritical way fans act depending on which team possesses the traveling trophy.

Yup.

I too can't see the Alerus outbidding the Fargodome since our dome is smaller. Unless they guarantee UND hockey tickets for the NCAA. :D

Don't believe the venues bid. Most schools own their own venues. It's the AD that bids out of his own budget, and has to hope that he comes out ahead (or has money budgeted for a losing money on the game). In the case of UND and NDSU, they have to pay their venues for rent, as well as maybe getting a piece of the concession and parking revenue. It should be spelled out in the contracts. Wonder how much SDSU lost with their 4000+ tickets sold.