SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

I think instead of focusing on the state we focus on UND, that's why I like Jets. There is one other school in the NCAA with the nickname and its South Georgia Tech College (JC). So our name will be like no other in NCAA DI sports. We can have a mascot, a cool logo, and I know Winnipeg is the Jets but we are not in the NHL. UND is known worldwide for its aerospace and aviation program, and we should showcase that in our new name and logo. 

I say that there should be no new nickname or mascot "North Dakota" is great.

If there has to be a new nickname it should start with The Fighting ----------- fill in the blank.

With "The Fighting" at least we have saved part of the best nickname and logo in all of sports "The Fighting Sioux"

The Fighting Foos.  UND can fly Dave Grohl in for every game to sing the national anthem and the Foo Fighters can play in the concourse between periods.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Played around with a logo I found on another blog.

http://dg294.tumblr.com

if und does go with nokotas, fighting norse, roughriders, or nodaks i do hope that ben brien does the logo

if und goes with blizzard, sundogs, pride, spirit, or any other lame ass nickname i hope they let some little kids at kelly elementary do the logo (inclusive enough)

The Fighting Foos.  UND can fly Dave Grohl in for every game to sing the national anthem and the Foo Fighters can play in the concourse between periods.  ;)

Only if you can sign a 10 year deal with the Foo Fighters to play all home games.

Other than that teams might use the line....."I pity the Foo..."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKQdPXdOsaU

how about Sasquatch I don't think anyone has that and then don't put anything on the jersey because they're to mystical to be seen. Then you could get a 10 year deal with the crew of finding bigfoot to come to the Ralph to do their Sasquatch calls. Then between periods you could have everyone looking throughout the whole arena to find a Sasquatch (which of course can never be found). Its a great idea

Arctic Skua Stercorarius parasiticus also called parasitic jaegers, have a well-earned reputation as avian pirates, stealing much of their food from other birds. NO on being a parasite of any sort.

So I guess that's a no on the unofficial state bird, the Fighting "squito's"?

That's a pretty safe bet, the only one that likes mosquitos are other mosquitos. Hunters might be appropriate though, a lot of them in the state, it's non-gender specific, and has potential for a lot of different graphics.

Hunters fits a lot of the criteria that has been discussed, and seems to be unique.  Not only does it cover a lot of people that currently live in the state, it represents a lot of the original Native American population and the original white explorers that came through the region.

Hunters fits a lot of the criteria that has been discussed, and seems to be unique.  Not only does it cover a lot of people that currently live in the state, it represents a lot of the original Native American population and the original white explorers that came through the region.

Hunters is to vague.  What type of hunter?  Native American Hunter? Deer hunter?  Duck hunter?  Cougar hunter?!! :)

Hunters is to vague.  What type of hunter?  Native American Hunter? Deer hunter?  Duck hunter?  Cougar hunter?!! :)

The vagueness is part of what gives it a chance to be accepted.  Does everyone define Bears (Black, Brown, Grizzly, Polar) or Eagles (Golden, Bald, Screaming) or Engineers (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Petroleum) or Hawks (Blue, Crimson, Scarlet, Mountain, River), etc?  Most people don't just hunt one species.  I'm not sure if it would make my short list or not, but it should be submitted and let people take a look at it.  And maybe someone can find a synonym that sounds even better.  How about Huntsmen (and maybe Lady Huntsmen) or Deerstalkers?

That's a pretty safe bet, the only one that likes mosquitos are other mosquitos. Hunters might be appropriate though, a lot of them in the state, it's non-gender specific, and has potential for a lot of different graphics.

Can't do hunters. With the way the left wing loons dictate college campuses and the NCAA, hunters would be associated with using weapons and we can't have that. Not to mention the uproar from PETA and the Humane Society wackjobs.

Can't do hunters. With the way the left wing loons dictate college campuses and the NCAA, hunters would be associated with using weapons and we can't have that. Not to mention the uproar from PETA and the Humane Society wackjobs.

There are already a lot of nicknames that are more violent than Hunters.  PETA and Humane Society wackjobs (as you call them) don't seem to have a lot of traction in North Dakota.  So I don't think Hunters is going to be eliminated for those reasons.  It may be eliminated because not enough people like it, or they like something else better.