SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

S-T-U-P-I-D

The name has too many syllables

The color in the name is again redundant.  Just look at the logo/jersey and you can tell we are green

The name needs to have a "coolness" factor and I'm sorry, but just hearing "Let's go Meadowlarks" makes me want to go find a bully and get beat up.

• Upvote 1

The opening paragraph of the article was written to evoke, but not to live in reality. 

The answers to the Q&A are pretty much dead on: 

... at least in most people’s perceptions, outsiders have come in and taken this away.

I think they just want to avoid any more controversy at all, so they go with the blandest, most inoffensive, boring name they can, which is typically something like a bird.

The committee process ... you end up with a bland outcome.

Over time, I think this can happen, but I don’t think it’s something that can happen overnight.

Except for this epic fail : 

UND should return to its old nickname: Flickertails.

With Minnesota basically a creature that is indistinguishable to the average citizen, it's unmarketable. And, Dr. Kelley has done one right thing and said we're not going back there. 

Closing thought: I knew Stanford had done Indians Cardinal. I did not know UMass had been the Redmen before the Minutemen. 

S-T-U-P-I-D

The name has too many syllables

The color in the name is again redundant.  Just look at the logo/jersey and you can tell we are green

The name needs to have a "coolness" factor and I'm sorry, but just hearing "Let's go Meadowlarks" makes me want to go find a bully and get beat up.

Yeah, well how cool is this?

Unknown_zpsnxvfqnp1.jpg

North Dakota CHAMPIONS. We would be the Champs in every endeavor and event we are involved in. We already have a Champions Club. Queen's "We are the Champions" is our new song. If our rivals calls us the "Chumps", it describes exactly who we are to be here in the first place (thanks NC$$).

The opening paragraph of the article was written to evoke, but not to live in reality. 

The answers to the Q&A are pretty much dead on: 

Except for this epic fail : 

With Minnesota basically a creature that is indistinguishable to the average citizen, it's unmarketable. And, Dr. Kelley has done one right thing and said we're not going back there. 

Closing thought: I knew Stanford had done Indians Cardinal. I did not know UMass had been the Redmen before the Minutemen.

That surprised me as well. Minutemen is a way better nickname, I think. That's the first time, I've really thought it was an improvement by name change.

I go back and forth between some cool animals, Wolves/Elk, but I really think a military angle is the way to do it. Warbirds was an air division which had ND service men/women in it. 

Let's be Fighting Irish. End of story. Already been confirmed as non-offensive, non-abusive. The logo could be a leprechaun with his fists up because that's FUN and not offensive; totally PC approved!  It's not stereotyping an entire nation or group of people or anything! It's a perfect nickname, logo combo.  We can also keep the interlocking ND as a secondary logo. Totally original, totally non-offensive or abusive.  Maybe we can even make a TV deal with like NBC or something???!! Just spitballing here.....

Let's be Fighting Irish. End of story. Already been confirmed as non-offensive, non-abusive. The logo could be a leprechaun with his fists up because that's FUN and not offensive; totally PC approved!  It's not stereotyping an entire nation or group of people or anything! It's a perfect nickname, logo combo.  We can also keep the interlocking ND as a secondary logo. Totally original, totally non-offensive or abusive.  Maybe we can even make a TV deal with like NBC or something???!! Just spitballing here.....

There can only be one response to this ... TOUCHDOWN!!!

notre-dame_touchdown-jesus2.jpg

• Upvote 1

I say that there should be no new nickname or mascot "North Dakota" is great.

If there has to be a new nickname it should start with The Fighting ----------- fill in the blank.

With "The Fighting" at least we have saved part of the best nickname and logo in all of sports "The Fighting Sioux"

• Upvote 1

North Dakota CHAMPIONS. We would be the Champs in every endeavor and event we are involved in. We already have a Champions Club. Queen's "We are the Champions" is our new song. If our rivals calls us the "Chumps", it describes exactly who we are to be here in the first place (thanks NC$$).

Champsosaurus

One of the most common fossil animals of North Dakota, represented by entire skeletons, Champsosaurus was a late Cretaceous creature that closely resembled a prehistoric crocodile (but was, in fact, an obscure type of reptile known as a choristoderan). Like crocodiles, Champsosaurus prowled the ponds and lakes of North Dakota for tasty prehistoric fish.

Or Champs for short