SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

This is a horrible example...please find better university nicknames with an actual logical name to compare to.

At least North Stars is an actual symbol versus Southern Utes, North Heels and South Bulls...you wouldn't use South Stars as that is not an existing symbol.

There would be nothing wrong with using North Stars...its simply yours, Sicatoka's and maybe a few others opinions that think it couldn't work.

As I've stated before...I don't care if Minnesota is the North Star state or used the name before...it's not in use anymore and would be fair game IMO

How about getting rid of the "North" and going with just plain "Stars"?  That would work with our school colors and it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a logo that passes copyright muster.

How about getting rid of the "North" and going with just plain "Stars"?  That would work with our school colors and it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a logo that passes copyright muster.

We could adopt the Star of David (Hakstol).  It frequently starts out dim, looks great most of the astrological year, and fades out right at the end when everyone is watching, only to have the faithful looking skyward the very next night.

This is a horrible example...please find better university nicknames with an actual logical name to compare to.

At least North Stars is an actual symbol versus Southern Utes, North Heels and South Bulls...you wouldn't use South Stars as that is not an existing symbol.

There would be nothing wrong with using North Stars...its simply yours, Sicatoka's and maybe a few others opinions that think it couldn't work.

As I've stated before...I don't care if Minnesota is the North Star state or used the name before...it's not in use anymore and would be fair game IMO

I was pointing out how silly it sounds to have a direction in both the school name AND the nickname. It sounds so nice that you want to say "north" twice?

Thought for the day (and I imagine this idea will be burned for being bland) I was reading an article today talking about the bighorn sheep population took a hit due to some pneumonia this winter, and my takeaway was " Bighorns" would be a cool nickname. The problem I had was, I just have trouble identifying North Dakota with a bighorn sheep, not sure why, I guess I've never seen a sheep in the badlands could be part of it. 

I kept reading on, and it said moose and elk and all them fair'ed pretty well this winter. Which is cool, but then I thought an elk would make a pretty sweet logo with the big antlers and stuff (think all the cool statues of elk around), but Elk doesn't roll off the tongue. Maybe it doesn't identify any better than bighorn sheep, but I would say they are as representative as a bison (both only exist anymore on  ranches / parks. I think an elk looks cooler too. Teddy Roosevelt described their appearance as "lordly." But it's still kinda weird to say with the hard k ending if you ask me. I thought I would check here if anyone knew a nickname for elk, similar to how "Bighorns" would be cooler than Bighorn Sheep?

I was pointing out how silly it sounds to have a direction in both the school name AND the nickname. It sounds so nice that you want to say "north" twice?

University of North Dakota Stars.  Everybody wins!!

• Upvote 1

Thought for the day (and I imagine this idea will be burned for being bland) I was reading an article today talking about the bighorn sheep population took a hit due to some pneumonia this winter, and my takeaway was " Bighorns" would be a cool nickname. The problem I had was, I just have trouble identifying North Dakota with a bighorn sheep, not sure why, I guess I've never seen a sheep in the badlands could be part of it. 

I kept reading on, and it said moose and elk and all them fair'ed pretty well this winter. Which is cool, but then I thought an elk would make a pretty sweet logo with the big antlers and stuff (think all the cool statues of elk around), but Elk doesn't roll off the tongue. Maybe it doesn't identify any better than bighorn sheep, but I would say they are as representative as a bison (both only exist anymore on  ranches / parks. I think an elk looks cooler too. Teddy Roosevelt described their appearance as "lordly." But it's still kinda weird to say with the hard k ending if you ask me. I thought I would check here if anyone knew a nickname for elk, similar to how "Bighorns" would be cooler than Bighorn Sheep?

North Dakota Wapiti??

North Dakota Wapiti??

yeah I just saw that. Is it pronounced "wah-pee-tee"? I'm worried that the possibility of that not being clear demerits it as a nickname, though I can't do much better.

"Buckhorns"? I'm not sure that refers to deer antlers or if it could refer to elk as well.

Or "buglers" due to the distinctive cry.

I've been thinking about it, and throwing it at other people in the marketing world...And it actually works. Logo is easy, can be simple yet definitive. 

I was kind of being a little sarcastic.  Sure stars is an easy logo, but that's not what people want.  We want something that is original and that stands out.  How many ways can you make a star that differeiciates from every other Star logo out there?!! 

I've been thinking about it, and throwing it at other people in the marketing world...And it actually works. Logo is easy, can be simple yet definitive.

Now if we could just convince the Dallas Stars to become the Dallas Fighting Sioux...

• Upvote 1

I know it has been suggested before and I just don't remember when, but what about Pronghorns instead of Elk.  A large game animal with horns that lives in the western part of the state. 

http://bismarcktribune.com/lifestyles/outdoors/the-plight-of-the-pronghorn/article_0ee544f4-3ca4-11e1-94ec-001871e3ce6c.html

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/pronghorn.htm

Pronghorns are unique among North American big game species. They are not members of the antelope or the goat families, but rather the sole surviving member of a species that dates back 20 million years.

The pronghorn is the only animal in the world to have branched horns and the only animal that sheds its horns as if they were antlers.

I found a school in Lethbridge, Alberta and a high school in Wyoming that use Pronghorns as a nickname, but I don't see those as deal breakers.  Someone could probably come up with a pretty good looking logo and you could even have a mascot.  It meets a lot of the criteria that has been mentioned.

The pronghorn is the fastest animal in the Western Hemisphere. It can run at speeds of up to 60 miles per hour and it can run long distances at speeds of 30-40 miles per hour.

Edited to add notes about speed.

I would prefer no nickname, however if an animal was chosen, i'd hope for the Fighting Moose.   In cheers it'll sound as close to Sioux as we're gonna get.  Manitoba's hockey club has a cool looking Moose logo.  something similar could be designed.   I think the quest for an original animal that has never been used before is only going to yield wimpy, ugly, or otherwise unappealing beasts.

Listen I'm one for just going by North Dakota and not changing the nickname, but if we have to change the nickname, I'm just gonna throw this out there and see how bad this is gonna get butchered.  

Roughriders, not a fan

Nodak, meh

But how bout the University of North Dakota Regulators

The name is unique, no other NCAA team has that for a nickname.  Although it has nothing to do with North Dakota, I think its still better than Roughriders or Nodaks. 

Listen I'm one for just going by North Dakota and not changing the nickname, but if we have to change the nickname, I'm just gonna throw this out there and see how bad this is gonna get butchered.  

Roughriders, not a fan

Nodak, meh

But how bout the University of North Dakota Regulators

The name is unique, no other NCAA team has that for a nickname.  Although it has nothing to do with North Dakota, I think its still better than Roughriders or Nodaks. 

basil-shutdown-mem-elite-daily.jpg

Regulator, someone who regulates

reg·u·late

(rĕg′yə-lāt′)

tr.v. reg·u·lat·edreg·u·lat·ingreg·u·lates
1. To control or direct according to rule, principle, or law.
2. To adjust to a particular specification or requirement: regulate temperature.
3. To adjust (a mechanism) for accurate and proper functioning.
4. To put or maintain in order: regulate one's eating habits.

or you can use the Urban Dictionary definition of a "Regulator"

1) Any individuals who take care of problematic people through violence. They hit hard and fast either out in the open or covertly. 
2) Can also be used as a verb to describe carrying out the action of a regulator.   :D  :D