SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

North Dakota Fighting Legion

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100388493494360&set=a.892141141480.2190443.163906211&type=1&theater

Wasn't sure how to upload the photo on the board here... 

The imagery would have to change to Roman this and Roman that.  On the good side, only white Europeans, Christians and Jewish people were largely persecuted by the Romans so we'd be in good standing with the right sect of perennial crybabies.........

The imagery would have to change to Roman this and Roman that.  On the good side, only white Europeans, Christians and Jewish people were largely persecuted by the Romans so we'd be in good standing with the right sect of perennial crybabies.........

Not necessarily would it have to be Roman... could attempt to make it our own "Northern Legion"; "NoDak Legion"... I just think the name has an edge to it and has some conviction which I hope the new nickname carries those traits. I would like for someone who doesn't know about UND to say "they have a badass name and logo." Something worth cheering for.

Thank you, Darell, for succinctly summing up the reason why any and all replacement names thought of thus far shouldn't be picked.

That's not what I said, I like Oilers, Jets (or something aviation related) and even GS's Arrow idea. Just something other than plain old North Dakota.

Not necessarily would it have to be Roman... could attempt to make it our own "Northern Legion"; "NoDak Legion"... I just think the name has an edge to it and has some conviction which I hope the new nickname carries those traits. I would like for someone who doesn't know about UND to say "they have a badass name and logo." Something worth cheering for.

AGREED!

Possibility that some "committee" figures this out and gets it right? Good luck!

This^^^^^ 

I still think it should be something that can kill a bison!  :p

• 1 month later...

Friendly Sioux?  no longer conjuring a negative stereotype. Already have a ceremony granting the use of "Sioux". how could this be deemed offensive?

1.  The name "Sioux" is what the NCAA has a problem with.  

2.  It doesn't matter what the descriptor in front of "Sioux" is.  

3.  The NCAA and, perhaps more importantly, the Standing Rock tribal council don't care about or acknowledge the 1968 ceremony.  

4.  The NCAA created the "hostile and abusive policy" in 2005.  UND would've been exempt had one reservation given timely approval.  They didn't (both Spirit Lake and Standing Rock refused to answer).  UND would've been exempt had both reservations given approval within five years.  One didn't.  Yes, this fight has been going on with the NCAA for a DECADE.  The fight has been going on with the bleeding hearts within the university for 50+ years.  It's time to move on.