SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

The vagueness is part of what gives it a chance to be accepted.  Does everyone define Bears (Black, Brown, Grizzly, Polar) or Eagles (Golden, Bald, Screaming) or Engineers (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Petroleum) or Hawks (Blue, Crimson, Scarlet, Mountain, River), etc?  Most people don't just hunt one species.  I'm not sure if it would make my short list or not, but it should be submitted and let people take a look at it.  And maybe someone can find a synonym that sounds even better.  How about Huntsmen (and maybe Lady Huntsmen) or Deerstalkers?

Actually I really like this except I think it will be a hard sell related to women's athletics.

Can't do hunters. With the way the left wing loons dictate college campuses and the NCAA, hunters would be associated with using weapons and we can't have that. Not to mention the uproar from PETA and the Humane Society wackjobs.

#1 I don't buy it and #2 we can't bend over on a reasonable nickname just because we think some fringe of society might object, or one day object.  I get we feel that way about the Fighting Sioux but the reality is the NCAA forced this, no one else.  And the NCAA doesn't fall under a "fringe" label.

If we think we have a great nickname option and only PETA will object, then we need to go with it.  That will play itself out in the court of public opinion. If we think we can win there, then we should take that nickname.

We can't just say we're tired of fighting and therefore select "the Marshmellows".  Let's show that we still have the will to fight for what's right.

#1 I don't buy it and #2 we can't bend over on a reasonable nickname just because we think some fringe of society might object, or one day object.  I get we feel that way about the Fighting Sioux but the reality is the NCAA forced this, no one else.  And the NCAA doesn't fall under a "fringe" label.

If we think we have a great nickname option and only PETA will object, then we need to go with it.  That will play itself out in the court of public opinion. If we think we can win there, then we should take that nickname.

We can't just say we're tired of fighting and therefore select "the Marshmellows".  Let's show that we still have the will to fight for what's right.

My guess is there are a lot more anti-hunting folks out there than anti-Sioux nickname people.

I think university presidents epitomize the "lunatic fringe".  So we'll disagree on this one.   

Not to stir the pot, but...

UND starts taking nickname ideas at 8 a.m. Wednesday

"Goehring said President Robert Kelley told the committee recently that keeping UND/North Dakota as a permanent name is still an option."

Kelleys quote kind of blows holes through the theory that we have to chose a name based on the settlement with the NCAA. Come on Sicakota, Hayduke, etc. Fire away!

I would rather be known as the university that the NCAA took the nickname from rather than some lame nickname. Keep the blame on them and expose them as the hypocritical organization that they truly are. In time, the NCAA as we now know it will not exist.

You're operating under the assumption that people outside of UND fans actually care and if they do, enough to actually take a stand.  North Dakota's own congressional delegation didn't even care enough to raise too much of a stink.  The tribal councils of the tribes didn't care enough to allow for votes that were acceptable for terms of the settlement.

Have you seen what has been going on with the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians?  The public sentiment isn't going to miraculously shift into UND's favor on this.

I'm in the acceptance stage on it.  I'll still display my Fighting Sioux memorabilia and wear clothing with the logo on it but the name is gone and is going to be replaced.  Finally have this millstone removed from UND and its athletic department will be able to focus the energy on productive things.

• Upvote 3

how about Sasquatch I don't think anyone has that and then don't put anything on the jersey because they're to mystical to be seen. Then you could get a 10 year deal with the crew of finding bigfoot to come to the Ralph to do their Sasquatch calls. Then between periods you could have everyone looking throughout the whole arena to find a Sasquatch (which of course can never be found). Its a great idea

0ab183029747bb6a24a8d3c7a7b44950c580f01eI can dig it, if only for the Trailer Park Boys reference

I haven't commented much on this topic, but I submitted my idea today as well as many others will.  I have enjoyed all of the ideas I've seen on this board, but mine was different than any on here.  I suggested Green Machine.  My rationale was that it ties in our engineering program with the history of railroads in ND.  Could be a cool Soo Liner logo associated with the name as well, similar to the Purdue Boilermakers, which would integrate the memory of the old nickname a little bit as well.  May be dumb to some people, but I thought I would share.

The beauty of using Hunters as a name is that it doesn't have to denote anything related to slaying creatures thus eliminating the PETA problem. A person can hunt for truth, knowledge, justice and "The American way" just as much as one can hunt for lost keys, or dinner on the hoof. One does not have to be a specific gender to hunt, we all do it.

The beauty of using Hunters as a name is that it doesn't have to denote anything related to slaying creatures thus eliminating the PETA problem. A person can hunt for truth, knowledge, justice and "The American way" just as much as one can hunt for lost keys, or dinner on the hoof. One does not have to be a specific gender to hunt, we all do it.

I went on quite the hunt for my tv remote just the other day..... ;)

No doubt a relentless pursuit...  Rather like what we wish to project... a group that will go to the ends of the earth and beyond for what we believe in.  I have no intention of submitting the name, but it does fit.