SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

I like flickertails too. The name is original and historical.

I've also liked "Eagles". We could be the "Legal Eagles" to highlight the law school.

[/q

flickertails??? embarrassing... you are just looking to get harassed. if the name has

to be changed it better to be something edgy not some boring representation of the

state or some other name trying to represent the university. the legal eagles??? are

you kidding me??? wow people. how bout the Sioux or nothing at all.

Why not the " fighting warriors". It does not specifically name any Indian tribes and the logo can remain the same.

The logo can't remain the same. It has to go. Absolutely NO Native American symbolism is allowed. Schools that only used a couple of feathers as a symbol were forced to change their logo.

Flickertails, Eagles, Gators, Cowboys, Jackrabbits, Huskies, Gophers, Seawolves, Bulldogs, Twins, Buffaloes, Roughriders, Sooners, Crimson Tide, CornHuskers, Tigers, Longhorns, Horned Frogs, blah blah blah.... They're all the same to me... a nickname... let me reiterate... a nickname. Fighting Sioux is emotionally important and the greatest ever just because it has been the nickname for so long, that's the only reason everything else seems not as good. Other schools would lump it into the same list as I've provided above, but would have no other emotional attachment.

Other fans might not have an emotional attachment to the Sioux nickname, but in survey after survey non-UND fans consider the Fight Sioux logo to one of the sharpest around.

The thought of changing the name sickens me, but if it ends up having to change I hope at least they choose something that sounds somewhat tough and intimidating.

I don't have a great answer but something along the lines of Predators, Blizzard, Green Storm, Savage Storm, Cougars, etc... at least sound somewhat intimidating and have some good logo possibilities.

To me Flickertails sounds like a 6 year old girls dance team, and what would the mascot be...Goldie II? Pass.

Has anyone mentioned North Dakota "Pride" with a group of lions as the mascot? Haven't they been finding mountain lions in the area recently? I agree that Flickertails doesn't cut it, but I also think it would be nice if it could mutate to be either ferocious (for official logo) and friendly (so kids will take to it as well).

Has anyone mentioned North Dakota "Pride" with a group of lions as the mascot? Haven't they been finding mountain lions in the area recently? I agree that Flickertails doesn't cut it, but I also think it would be nice if it could mutate to be either ferocious (for official logo) and friendly (so kids will take to it as well).

I like University of North Dakota Northern Pike. State fish. One hell of a fresh water predator. There aren't a lot of colleges out there that go with the fish angle. Green, black, and white still work for team colors. And it has the same cadence as Fighting Sioux. I like it.

How about the North Dakota Tundra. Referring to both the desolate landscape around Grand Forks (Green in the Summer, White in the Winter), and the Tundra Swan which is a prominent bird in North Dakota. A logo could incorporate both of these things. Similar to the Minnesota Wild Logo incorporating the landscape with the colors green and red, as well as a bear head. I also like nicknames that don't end with an "S".

How about the North Dakota Tundra. Referring to both the desolate landscape around Grand Forks (Green in the Summer, White in the Winter), and the Tundra Swan which is a prominent bird in North Dakota. A logo could incorporate both of these things. Similar to the Minnesota Wild Logo incorporating the landscape with the colors green and red, as well as a bear head. I also like nicknames that don't end with an "S".

FightingSwan_Logo.JPG

_wsb_571x451_TUNDRALOGO.jpg

or Fighting Monkey's

Company Policy

Start with a cage containing five monkeys.

Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, all of the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water.

After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result

Something to do with Pheasants would be cool. Maybe draw up logo with an angry snarling pheasant Similar to the "Fighting Swans" above but a little more stylized. That way we could keep green and black in our logo as the head is a greenish color and you can put black in anything. Maybe I'll whip something up in Photoshop this weekend between games.

As we all know Pheasants are a "common" bird in ND, and those spurs are nasty.

I like University of North Dakota Northern Pike. State fish. One hell of a fresh water predator. There aren't a lot of colleges out there that go with the fish angle. Green, black, and white still work for team colors. And it has the same cadence as Fighting Sioux. I like it.

Hey! I'm with you on this one. Unique, lots of maketing angles. Go Fish! :glare:

I see a whole lot of dead fish being thrown on the ice.

We could start chanting:

"WHAT'S THAT SME-ELL!"

When we lose we can say the team went belly up. :D

Bad officiating? "Something fishy happened on the ice."

On a positive note:

"YOU'VE GOT FISH SLAPPED!" after a fight or a big rout. :)