SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

NO NEW NICKNAME. TEAM USA DOESN'T NEED A NICKNAME. EITHER DO WE. I CAN SEE OUR JERSEYS WITH THE BIG INTERLOCKING LOGO ON THE FRONT AND AN OUTLINE OF THE STATE ON EACH SHOULDER. THIS IS WHAT WE SHOULD PUSH IF WE HAVE TO RETIRE FIGHTING SIOUX. I THINK ALL SIOUX FANS WOULD BE HAPPY WITH IT. WE ARE "TEAM NORTH DAKOTA"

NO NEW NICKNAME. TEAM USA DOESN'T NEED A NICKNAME. EITHER DO WE. I CAN SEE OUR JERSEYS WITH THE BIG INTERLOCKING LOGO ON THE FRONT AND AN OUTLINE OF THE STATE ON EACH SHOULDER. THIS IS WHAT WE SHOULD PUSH IF WE HAVE TO RETIRE FIGHTING SIOUX. I THINK ALL SIOUX FANS WOULD BE HAPPY WITH IT. WE ARE "TEAM NORTH DAKOTA"

I think this should be how it is for a few years for sure. How about the cursive North Dakota on the front, I believe the women's team has those.

We will not have an official nickname, but everyone will still yell Sioux! This is the way to go.

This won't happen, and shouldn't happen, for a variety of reasons.

1) They DON'T want you to continue to yell "Go Sioux" or anything Sioux related. Even with a new nickname, you'll still get some of these chants early on, but people will transition much quicker with a nickname.

2) MERCHANDISING. It's all about the dollar. If you have apparel and products with just "North Dakota" on it, then you'll only be making so much money. If you have a new nickname, you can sell both "New Nickname" products AND plain "North Dakota" products, like they did with Sioux and like what every other school does. This money made goes to the university, so they'd be stupid not to be the most profitable they can be when it comes to selling university related merchandise.

3) As much as it hurts us to lose Fighting Sioux, other schools have lost their nicknames they took pride in before, and almost all have transitioned fairly well. Of course, for the first couple years, it will be tough on everyone, but most people will take to the nickname. It's only fair to the incoming athletes who never played as "Fighting Sioux" athletes that we support them and their nickname.

It's tough for everyone that the nickname is gone, but we need a new nickname. It's the only logical choice.

Cavalry > Roughriders

I like both. Moreso the Roughriders, considering Im a RRHS grad. But both are something important to north dakota. I just hope that we dont get so stupid animal or something that has no connection to north dakota.

I wish we'd go with Warriors and just drop the logo on our jerseys.

University of North Dakota "Tradition"

what if the REA owned the logo as a trade mark logo for the building and the sioux shop could sell logo merchindise around the world for profit. we as fans of the building our hockey team plays at would buy it and wear it like we do today. Interlocking ND like i have seen here for the sweaters and North Dakota above that, also the word tradition. that could be a name could it not. we do have one of the best ever!!

REA home of the University of North Dakota Tradition.

Lets play old time Tradition hockey.

Its hard to believe this is happening, and i still feel in some way it could work out for the Fighting Sioux, but if not i do not want some cheesy name piked by who knows to be the new face of sioux athletics.

NORTH DAKOTA TRADITION HOCKEY!!

I just hope that during the transition, the University can learn from the mistakes made by other schools who went through this process, namely Marquette. I believe that since the mid-nineties when they changed their nickname and mascot, they have had an on-going identity crisis. I'm fearful that the PC crowd (anti-Sioux nickname crowd) will have a major voice in the decision on the new name and will come up with something very unoriginal (Tigers, Huskies, Storm, Blizzard, etc.). Let's hope that the powers-that-be, take enough time to thoughtfully retire the Sioux nickname as well as come up with a logical, reasoned search process for the new nickname and logo. Regardless, I'll still bleed green and white and cheer for the UND athletics team as I'm sure everyone else on this message board will.

I actually think that the UND "Fighting Spirit" would be a good choice. It invokes the memory of the Fighting Sioux name without being controversial, and pays a little respect to the Spirit Lake tribe. Isn't "Discover the Spirit" already on every license plate in the state and on a sign on every entry point into the state.

The "Fighting Spirit" could apply to Sioux warriors, or the hardy pioneers who settled the state, or the 7th Cavalry, or Theodore Roosevelt's Roughriders...and so on.

I actually think that the UND "Fighting Spirit" would be a good choice. It invokes the memory of the Fighting Sioux name without being controversial, and pays a little respect to the Spirit Lake tribe. Isn't "Discover the Spirit" already on every license plate in the state and on a sign on every entry point into the state.

The "Fighting Spirit" could apply to Sioux warriors, or the hardy pioneers who settled the state, or the 7th Cavalry, or Theodore Roosevelt's Roughriders...and so on.

Gothmog's back!?!?!? Instant ignore. Anything Gothmog or any other anti-nickname "plant" on here has to say should be instantly discarded.

Gothmog's back!?!?!? Instant ignore. Anything Gothmog or any other anti-nickname "plant" on here has to say should be instantly discarded.

Sorry, you dislike me so intensely.

Anyway, my suggestion was sincere. I really do think it would be a good choice.

here's a question I haven't heard but with the name being dropped will we have to drop the colors as well or can we keep them? I can see Kelly the "leader" he is dropping everything and starting over "fresh".

I don't ever see UND dropping their school colors.

I like both. Moreso the Roughriders, considering Im a RRHS grad. But both are something important to north dakota. I just hope that we dont get so stupid animal or something that has no connection to north dakota.

I wish we'd go with Warriors and just drop the logo on our jerseys.

Warriors are also offensive to the anti nickname/logo crowd. It used to be the nickname of my elementary school West and my Jr. High School Valley.

I'm a Bison fan who thinks this whole nickname controversy is lame.

Why not call yourselves the Pioneers? It would honor the settlers from the east and Europe who replaced the native populations. I just hope it's some made up name like river dragons.

We are not becoming a Denver copycat.