SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

It would be REALLY nice of them, if the let it go to a public vote, or at least let the public have a say in it. I remember when the FM Redhawks were first getting started in Fargo, they let the public submit ideas, and then the managers/people in charge/investors withered it down to their top 3 or 4. From there it was put to a public vote, and if I recall correctly the public vote was 100% the deciding factor in determining they would be the Redhawks.

Something similar UND could do is take submissions from the public. Let the administrators select the top 10, then have alumni (just donating alumni, maybe) take it down to 3 or 4 then put it to a vote. Vote being open to everyone. I realize there's flaws in this, but it's just an idea. Hopefully we get a say.

Hopefully we get a say.

Since when does the regime at UND care what the public wants?

I'm not buying anything new.

Now the fact is that Sioux, North Dakota, ND Sioux are all in the public domain. There's no way that anyone can stop anyone from selling "ND Sioux Hockey" apparel. I'm sure the current Logo is trademarked but something similar could be substituted.

I know what you're saying, I'm just hoping since they've "ticked off" enough people (to put it lightly) they could at least step up to the plate and let us in on the process. But like you mentioned it probably won't happen. I'd prefer not to let the decision rest solely on the UND admin. Oh well, we'll see how it all shakes out, kind of thinking out loud here.

Is there any insight on what names they are looking for? Are they looking for an animal (that kill Bisons) a thing (I like Soo). I am sure any kind of reference to people are out. Oh and i guess Flickertails are out too.....Good!! Here is one...UND Varmints. Remember the GF Varmints of the mid 90's. I still have my game program i liked the name and logo....just a thought.

I'm not buying anything new.

Now the fact is that Sioux, North Dakota, ND Sioux are all in the public domain. There's no way that anyone can stop anyone from selling "ND Sioux Hockey" apparel. I'm sure the current Logo is trademarked but something similar could be substituted.

I was thinking the same thing. "SIOUX HOCKEY" would not, in my opinion, require consent from anyone. Also, the logo may be trademarked but not necessarily components of the logo. Maybe the great artist who created the original logo wants to create a new original work in honor of the retired logo that could be used for merchandising. Set up a non-profit, proceeds go to worthy charities, those in support of the proud Sioux heritage continue to display the name. My guess is that this type of merchandise would far outsell whatever crap new name and logo the Admin comes up with.

I'm partial to the logo and nickname that made UND #3* in collegiate apparel sales and #8* in the world for athletic apparel. *from WDAY radio today

If it can't be that, forgive me if it takes a while to warm up to something else. :lol:

I'm partial to the logo and nickname that made UND #3* in collegiate apparel sales and #8* in the world for athletic apparel. *from WDAY radio today

If it can't be that, forgive me if it takes a while to warm up to something else. :lol:

wow! #8 in the world. please point me to your source. i'd love to show that off.

Per Brad's Twitter

President Kelley: UND will not be the Flickertails.

Phew.....

All I know is, I will NEVER BYE anything othere then Sioux stuff as long as im attending UND sporting events, I got

enough Sioux jerseys and sweatshrits to last me untill I'm in the ground.............

I cant beleave how much money will be lost in Sioux apparel sales comparded to a New or No Nickname over the years by getting rid of the name,,,,

PS Sum of names brought up Christ forget it.... either the U of North Dakota or UND Fighting SOO!!!

A few months back I emailed Canadian Pacific regarding the use of the SOO name. The response I received....

I could get all aboard this train. Keep this alive.

Even absent any change in division classification or desire to join a specific conference, the issue was not going to get better over time. It's been going on for decades now, and has become more contentious every few years.

In all honesty, I like "Cavalry" in part because it has a little "screw you" connotation to the Indian tribes that forced this upon us. I was a supporter of keeping our team name, but realized the fight to do so would only get harder with time.

John

In my opinion I don't think we need to attack the tribes, very few of them were involved in this decision, overall. The general population seemed to be in support. But I like your idea for the same reason, only directed at the NCAA.

This astounds me! If WDAY is right...WOW. Is this printed anywhere that you are aware of?

I also do not think we need to attack the tribes but Cavalry alone is a great nickname. That or Roughriders. It is a way to honor the military and North Dakota heritage.

I still think that Standing Rock will hold a vote and the State Board will reverse their decision. Maybe it is wishful thinking but I am holding onto hope.

I also do not think we need to attack the tribes but Cavalry alone is a great nickname. That or Roughriders.

Yeah, we can all wear cowboy hats, boots, and grow gnarly mustaches. the mascot could be the Marlboro man.

no thanks.

That is quite possibly the most ludicrous thing I have ever read. There is no way that is true, no way.

That is quite possibly the most ludicrous thing I have ever read. There is no way that is true, no way.

I think the new name ought to be "Fighting Cocks". Most of the state is farming/agriculture and farms have chickens with roosters around hence the name includes a local "vicious" and aggressive native animal. The mascot could be............... well, there are several options. Actually I like Roughriders, but Prairie Dogs is another option as is Pronghorns. What a mess.

This astounds me! If WDAY is right...WOW. Is this printed anywhere that you are aware of?

I have no idea if it is true or not. It was said by Christopher Gabriel today on the Jay Thomas show. Might have been #3 College jersey and #8 jersey sold world wide. Sounded to me like he had done the research. Someone send him an email to verify. All I know is I heard them say #3 and #8. Of course they could have been FOS.

Friends and relatives have been saying that very thing for a couple of years. Is it MANDATORY to have a nickname? the NCAA could force UND to come up with something? I think it would be the best response to say, "this nickname isn't appropriate, so we'll choose to go without."

"Here comes your University of North Dakota Hockey Team!"

I have stated early in this forum that it should just be the University of North Dakota without a nickname. It would make them unique in the sporting world and highlights the University.

I think some sort of esoteric symbol should be designed that represents strength/courage/bravery or similar attributes and that could become our identity. We could be called "the team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux." Then in a few years we could sort of phase out the symbol and just become the Fighting Sioux again. It seemed to work for Prince.

Considering the AF base is somewhat close...maybe the Tankers? If i were UND, i'd pick something really obscure, like speckeled tree frog or the Purple Beets, or something like that, just to p!ss the NCAA off.

I asked the people over on the stltoday.com forum for ideas in their thread about the nickname....this is what Suds11 gave me.

Actually, if you read the settlement agreement closely, the "Spirit Lake Sioux" option is entirely plausible. The surrender agreement only refers to getting approval for the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and does not include variations of the same such as "Sioux" or "Spirit Lake Sioux" etc. I feel bad for Archie Fool Bear and all who worked so hard to garner the support of both tribes (Eunice Davidson, et al thank you) and I'd like to think that SR would or could hold a vote and the SBoHE reverse itself but I tend to think that such will not be reality. In the absence of the "Fighting Sioux" I am in favor of "Spirit Lake Sioux" or just "North Dakota."

If it can't be that, forgive me if it takes a while to warm up to something else. :angry:

I'll do the dreaded quote of my own post. :lol:

WDAY archives each show. This will be on there until Monday's Jay Thomas Show. I have no way of recording it to keep it so you'll have to listen to the show to find what they said.

There is good discussion in this show, as well as a reference to the post I'm quoting about the rankings, which happens about a 1/2 hour into the show. Sorry I can't get it narrowed down more than that.

http://tracking.fccinteractive.com/swfplay...dio_popup.html#

If that doesn't work, try this one: http://www.wday.com/pages/AM970Radio and click on Jay Thomas Show:

Friday, April 9, 2010 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM