SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

Sorry star, can't. The body has been dead for a while. It was put to rest yesterday. My grieving started when the settlement was signed and it ended yesterday.

My top 3:

Rough Riders - the other state nickname

Reapers - a tip of the cap to the state's ag history and a look forward to the new UAVs at GFAFB

ScoUNDrels - nice play on the word and letters

Out of the running:

FLICKERtails - UND has already thrown that out once (it was so hated by teams they called themselves the Nodaks instead)

Sundogs - preferred by BRIDGES, the group that got us to this point, they've done enough already :silly:

Pheasants - the Sioux Falls minor league baseball team just took that name this week

I think that Warriors of the North could work (don't assume that warriors is out of bounds). It could tie into the logo of the Grand Forks Air Force Base (nordic inspired). We could get the base, the Sons of Norway and other related ethnic stakeholders to support it. Think Vikings.

University of North Dakota Brave.

Land of the free and home of the BRAVE!!

No Indians, no feathers, just BRAVE.

A logo can be found to work with that. A lion, a soldier, an eagle.....

I kind of like the brave as an option. It could be made into a really cool logo plus it takes a shot at the native american activists.

Could you guys lay off the alternative nickname for a time while people grieve?

It's more than insensitive at this time: like discussing what you hope is in a will while the deceased body is still warm.

and whomever is forcing star2city to read this message board should be ashamed of himself/herself. star2city doesn't want to read about new nickname ideas right now so stop making him/her read this message board; it's just plain cruel.

i hope whomever was making you read this will stop now, star2city, so you can grieve.

Uh, you're wrong. You should know from listening to Jackson and Sharpton that only whites can be racist. Means is merely voicing his displeasure at those who oppress him and his people. He's a freedom fighter, not a racist.

:silly:

I actually learned this exact concept in a multicultural education class at UND.

Sundogs - preferred by BRIDGES, the group that got us to this point, they've done enough already :silly:

Sundogs is horrible, it's no wonder that BRIDGES would approve of that.

As a side note, what are the people of BRIDGES going to spend their time doing now? Their life goal is now accomplished, they have nothing left to live for now.

As I've said before I've licked flickertails, but if as athletes in the 30's they didn't like it then I can move on to. I would like to see this forum come to a concensus, get someone on the new name comittee, assuming they have one, and get a name put through. Let's be the ones that lead the charge and be responsible for the new name/monicor...

IMO, srap Mighty SOO and stick with Fighting SOO. Let all the PC's out there stick that in there pipe. Stripping only the Sioux off of the Ralph would cost less, should be a good compromise. We all get to keep using the same cheers. Nothing changes only the spelling and we lose the logo. It worked for Illinois, why not us.

My second choice, Rough Riders. It has state tradition and keeps us away from some random animal that has already been used over and over again, i.e. eagles, cougars, etc.

I vote for no name for awhile. I don't think we should rush into anything just for the sake of having a name, any name. I also don't want anyone but students and alumni deciding on a new name although the logistics would be a nightmare.

The University of North Dakota works for me for now.

I agree. No new name. Just the University of North Dakota.

Hope someone brings that up at Kelley's forum.

Friends and relatives have been saying that very thing for a couple of years. Is it MANDATORY to have a nickname? the NCAA could force UND to come up with something? I think it would be the best response to say, "this nickname isn't appropriate, so we'll choose to go without."

"Here comes your University of North Dakota Hockey Team!"

Friends and relatives have been saying that very thing for a couple of years. Is it MANDATORY to have a nickname? the NCAA could force UND to come up with something? I think it would be the best response to say, "this nickname isn't appropriate, so we'll choose to go without."

I don't think they would force us, but looking at it from a completely marketing standpoint....I think it would be beneficial to have a nickname and not just UND.....You need something short and snappy that people can remember...University of North Dakota is too long and UND makes a lot of people outside of the Midwest think of Notre Dame.

Agreed. Plus, nothing to stop 11,000 fans from shouting "LET'S GO SIOUX, LET'S GO SIOUX". They can "retire" the nickname from the uniforms but never retire it from the hearts of the fans.

As for marketing, I have no desire to ever buy anything with Roughriders, Pheasants, Force, or other BS they come up with. I have enough Sioux stuff to last me for a long, long time.

I agree. No new name. Just the University of North Dakota.

Hope someone brings that up at Kelley's forum.

i've been a proponent of this idea for some time. somebody i work with today suggested the aviators or the flyers. that's appropriate for und and flyers is already a well respected professional franchise.

Agreed. Plus, nothing to stop 11,000 fans from shouting "LET'S GO SIOUX, LET'S GO SIOUX". They can "retire" the nickname from the uniforms but never retire it from the hearts of the fans.

As for marketing, I have no desire to ever buy anything with Roughriders, Pheasants, Force, or other BS they come up with. I have enough Sioux stuff to last me for a long, long time.

Good idea make sure the chant stays alive every game every break in the action.. LET's GO Sioux!!!! I hope it never dies. In honor of all the support the nickname got from the two tribes we should never let it die.