SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

4 minutes ago, Tbone said:

Evidence that he grew up a ‘Sioux hockey kid’ is where? Maybe there is more recent evidence to point to how ’Nodak dropped the ball’ on him.

Gotta wonder if it will come out. 

Same place you'll find the evidence for UND "not wanting him" and the same place you'll find where UND offered Shaugabay and he signed elsewhere....

What's going on in college hockey right now?  I see this in football all the time (i.e. Alabama) but hockey has been somewhat immune to this stuff. Again it doesnt mean Michigan will win a natty as they'll turn over fairly heavily year to year. But dang. 21 year old Canadians it is :)

Just now, scpa0305 said:

What's going on in college hockey right now?  I see this in football all the time (i.e. Alabama) but hockey has been somewhat immune to this stuff. Again it doesnt mean Michigan will win a natty as they'll turn over fairly heavily year to year. But dang.

With every top-end guy they add, it's easier to convince another top-end guy to join. It's like the NBA. Didn't work for BU. We'll see for Michigan.

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The question is, how long was Red a hindrance on recruiting? Mel is clearly much better.

The question isn't Red vs Mel....

It's the amatuer rules of days past vs the reality of TCA+NIL benefits+ Transfer portal. 

41 minutes ago, SDPondHockey said:

The portal isn’t going away in recruiting. Yes missing on high end guys now is frustrating, but it could leave some scholarship $ available for after the year to add proven high end experience players that address specific needs after the season plays out. 

Bingo.

The era of NIL combined with transfer portal will change the landscape forever.

I hoped the change would be more gradual, but it will not be, that now is evident.

Say a Michigan that has just freakin loaded up goes on a run, the resources of their Alumni base, overall fans, exposure, and the B1G, they could just open the coffers to kids via the transfer portal and refresh a juggernaut for a decade out of these massive recruiting classes.

Michigan will not be the BU one and done draft pick palazzo bust, its foolish to keep comparing the two situations.

The absolute key to being a successfull college program from here to when the NCAA is rewritten from the ground up....  is to "endow" basically massive NIL opportunities and ruthlessly battle in the portal.

• Upvote 1

A few years back my wife and I were a billet for a Fargo Force player. He told us about his recruiting process and each college he visited. When he checked out Michigan the first thing they did was take him to the Big House. He told his dad immediately he was no longer interested in them and wanted to leave. Nothing like letting a hockey recruit know what they will be second, third, or fourth fiddle to.

40 minutes ago, Prison_Mike said:

A few years back my wife and I were a billet for a Fargo Force player. He told us about his recruiting process and each college he visited. When he checked out Michigan the first thing they did was take him to the Big House. He told his dad immediately he was no longer interested in them and wanted to leave. Nothing like letting a hockey recruit know what they will be second, third, or fourth fiddle to.

Yeah they're screwed..... 

6 hours ago, Prison_Mike said:

It seems to be a rite of passage for their blue chip freshmen to be photographed at the big house. Always struck me as odd.

8 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

It seems to be a rite of passage for their blue chip freshmen to be photographed at the big house. Always struck me as odd.

Meh, every campus has its landmarks, and every AD has his/her pride-and-joy facilities.  I doubt very much that it's much more than a whistle stop...maybe it's just first because of how the campus is laid out.  Or maybe an athletics lackey gives the same, exact tour to every sport's recruits.

Show me a recruit who gets photographed in a classroom, or a lab.