SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, I am sure Berry is intentionally doing that. :silly:

Thought I heard that Berry and Company rejected Jake Sanderson’s verbal and written commitments. Even blocked his calls. They didn’t think that he was a good enough grinda. Jake had to sneak onto campus and into the arena. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Hope he likes playing in front of a bunch of empty seats.

Yeah, Im not so much thinking that keeping on saying that is such a goodook moving forward.

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I wonder if Berry even tries to recruit Minnesota anymore or since he’ll never beat Motzko / Sandelin in any battles he just put a big X through that state. 

Berry and Co. were very much in on him, but im not shocked UM-tccampus won out here. 

34 minutes ago, Rick said:

Which ton of battles are you referring to?

I’m not going through all of them…but Clark, Chesley are two recent ones. I also look at the sheer number of of high end kids heading the big 10 route. I’m not super surprised, but I did think UND would be in most the discussions for them. We got a few kids…but not the kids considered blue chips right this minute. Not saying I don’t like the three kids we got this year…I do. I know i read that Perron has a chance to be a first round. That’s great. Just saying, the recruiting landscape has changed a bit.

and again, that doesn’t necessarily translate to success come puck drop…but more horses in the stable sure helps.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

This thread melts down every time a recruit chooses a school other than ours. Meanwhile we pick up studs like Pinto, JBD and Sanderson before anyone has even heard of them. Clark stings for the same reason as Shaugabay in that both had family ties to UND, but then again, Gersich was related to the Brotens. 

I hope you weren’t limping me in that bucket. I was more pointing out the changes in recruiting landscape 

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

I hope you weren’t limping me in that bucket. I was more pointing out the changes in recruiting landscape 

No, I think our posts were done simultaneously.

A meaningful amount of our recruits don't make it to campus and some of those who make it here originally committed elsewhere. The game is the game.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m not going through all of them…but Clark, Chesley are two recent ones. I also look at the sheer number of of high end kids heading the big 10 route. I’m not super surprised, but I did think UND would be in most the discussions for them. We got a few kids…but not the kids considered blue chips right this minute. Not saying I don’t like the three kids we got this year…I do. I know i read that Perron has a chance to be a first round. That’s great. Just saying, the recruiting landscape has changed a bit.

and again, that doesn’t necessarily translate to success come puck drop…but more horses in the stable sure helps.

We have really really struggled landing high end Minnesota kids lately losing a bunch to Minnesota, a couple to Duluth, and I think even one or two to St. Cloud. Minnesota should be a state we are prioritizing and getting a good amount of talent from. Yeah you aren't gonna beat Minnesota head to head a whole lot but I expect us to maybe 1 out of 10 and then getting our pick of those guys that the Gophers aren't. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

All three of the kids we got are arguably better than Clark…but…we’ve lost a ton of battles recently.

You think we may have won a few? I bet we have. I don't see how recruiting has dipped, frankly. I'd love to get a player like Clark, but what we've gotten is d@mn good.

6 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I'd put Clark right up there with any of them, he is really really good. We have to start recruiting better in Minnesota.

No doubting Clark isn't good. He is. But the conversation was that we're losing a step in recruiting because we didn't land Clark. I flat out disagree.

Like I said in the previous post, I'd love to get a guy like Clark, but we have a lot of competition and are getting other stud guys from outside of MN. I don't really care where they come from, frankly.

Why does it matter where they come from? Hasn't that always been a "knock" on UND? I absolutely don't care where they come from.

Gopher fans are always so proud that the majority of their roster comes from Minnesota. I never understood why it's relevant. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You think we may have won a few? I bet we have. I don't see how recruiting has dipped, frankly. I'd love to get a player like Clark, but what we've gotten is d@mn good.

Compared to top big 10 schools ya we’ve dipped a bit, especially in the F area. But there is a benefit to missing on young blue chips…you have room on the back end so I have no doubt we’ll stay higher end moving forward I’m just kind of tracking where these high enders are going. And high enders can change from year to year…but they all seem to be going to Michigan :)

I thought we may have had a chance at whitelaw but he went badgers. As someone else pointed out, we’ve been whiffing on a ton of MN high enders recently…and mn hockey has been really pumping them out recently 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

No doubting Clark isn't good. He is. But the conversation was that we're losing a step in recruiting because we didn't land Clark. I flat out disagree.

Like I said in the previous post, I'd love to get a guy like Clark, but we have a lot of competition and are getting other stud guys from outside of MN. I don't really care where they come from, frankly.

I do agree with that…I don’t care where they come from either. We got 3 05s…that’s not a lot. I’d honestly wait and grab some late blooming 03s and 04s at this point.

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why does it matter where they come from? Hasn't that always been a "knock" on UND? I absolutely don't care where they come from.

Gopher fans are always so proud that the majority of their roster comes from Minnesota. I never understood why it's relevant. 

Honestly I'm just more familiar with Minnesota kids because I see a bunch of Minnesota high school hockey being from here and still living in MN. I really don't care where kids come from I just feel like Minnesota produces a ton of talent and it should be a priority pipeline state for us. 

4 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Honestly I'm just more familiar with Minnesota kids because I see a bunch of Minnesota high school hockey being from here and still living in MN. I really don't care where kids come from I just feel like Minnesota produces a ton of talent and it should be a priority pipeline state for us. 

They do produce a lot of talent, but so do other areas. I would be shocked to find out that we just didn't win a battle on a guy like Clark. That happens. I know we were in on him.

Shaugs, I'm not sure we offered. I just don't believe we're dropping simply because Minnesota keeps a from Edina in the cities.