SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

18 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

In theory a pipeline from Edina would be nice to have; multiple kids from every team play D1. But truthfully, would Edina divas fit in with Sioux hockey? I say this as someone from a similar socio-economic status high school in the cities. Rich kids don't toughen up until they leave home.

Connor Gaader..

On 9/24/2021 at 4:53 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

They do produce a lot of talent, but so do other areas. I would be shocked to find out that we just didn't win a battle on a guy like Clark. That happens. I know we were in on him.

Shaugs, I'm not sure we offered. I just don't believe we're dropping simply because Minnesota keeps a from Edina in the cities. 

Has anyone acquired any additional detail on the Shaugs situation? It’s clear him and the UND coaching staff had a relationship and there was mutual interest. But the Minnesota YHH podcast said the UMD coaching staff were a bit surprised to secure him after just one call once the commitment period opened.

Wonder if the relationship soured, or if there was a difference in scholarship money offered? Or if he just ended up preferring UMD.. 

2 hours ago, Berrybro7 said:

Has anyone acquired any additional detail on the Shaugs situation? It’s clear him and the UND coaching staff had a relationship and there was mutual interest. But the Minnesota YHH podcast said the UMD coaching staff were a bit surprised to secure him after just one call once the commitment period opened.

Wonder if the relationship soured, or if there was a difference in scholarship money offered? Or if he just ended up preferring UMD.. 

we didn’t want him people will say

20 hours ago, jk said:

There are a lot of decisions to make in assembling a team, older or younger, super-talents or late bloomers, MN or Canada, but the proof is ultimately in the pudding.  UND finished the last two seasons #1 in the PWR, and likely the top seed in the NCAA tournament both years.  They must be doing something right.  Also important is how you make up for recruiting misses, and adjusting to things like unexpected departures.  A few years ago when Jost left surprisingly, they missed the tournament by one game (flip a loss to a tie or a tie to a win).  This year, rebuilding from important departures was aided by the transfer portal, but there's again a surprise hole at 1C.  We'll have to see if they can overcome it.  

Back to recruiting, we don't even really know, with a few exceptions, who they were after or offered.  It sounds like they wanted Chesley and missed, then they went and got Livanavage and Strathmann, who sound like top guys also.  As for MN kids, and metro kids in particular, when has UND had much luck with them ever, in the absence of a real inside connection?  The top guys off the top of my head to choose UND outright over MN were Parise and Boeser.  Parise wanted to be the best, and Herb Brooks sent him on his way.  Boeser was deciding as the weight of Lucia's anchor dragged that program down.  Unless the kid's dad is a former UND All-American, I'm never surprised when a metro kid picks MN.  UND has gotten other great players from MN, like Mark Senden currently.  I don't think MN was after him very hard, even though he's exactly what that program needs.  As for his importance, how crucial could he have been in the 5OT game last year?   

I love the way jk can bring in a few facts to a conversation to counter the negatives.  Also, very good analysis of what it takes to build a championship team.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

When it is said, it has always been a tongue in cheek response. Gopher fans use to say it a lot when their program was losing recruiting battles to UND and other schools.

Exactly, and I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression because GF is saying it. Saying it about Clark, saying it about Shaugabay ... well, that one seems to be accurate since we didn't offer. 

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Exactly, and I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression because GF is saying it. Saying it about Clark, saying it about Shaugabay ... well, that one seems to be accurate since we didn't offer. 

My "Edina kids are divas" post could be interpreted that way, if that's what one is trying to hear. It's disappointing to miss on him no doubt, but plenty of fish in the sea. Reading his commitment article on Rink Live we didn't really have much of a chance.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Reading his commitment article on Rink Live we didn't really have much of a chance.

Um, no kidding.  Wanted to be a gopher since he was a little kid.  We appear to have gotten inaccurate information here (on a message board? No way!).  Once again, don't ever be surprised when a metro kid picks MN. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MinnesotaSiouxFan said:

Gotta wonder how Nodak dropped the ball on Clark, when both his parents went to UND and he grew up a Sioux hockey kid.  Not cool.

Evidence that he grew up a ‘Sioux hockey kid’ is where? Maybe there is more recent evidence to point to how ’Nodak dropped the ball’ on him.

Gotta wonder if it will come out.