SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

They may be, especially now.  But he really hasn't done all that much until this year, playing a single A schedule.  That's not a knock but the other single A guys we've gotten had produced for a long time before their senior years.  Single A talent is pretty difficult to judge without seeing them play junior A hockey. He has scored a bunch but his assist totals are pretty low. 

He really kind of exploded this season. Thief River like East Grand Forks and Warroad as well does play a pretty solid schedule though so it isn't like his stats are too inflated which is often the case with kids from Southern MN class A schools. TRF played 6 AA schools Bemidji and Roseau twice each, Moorhead, and Tartan. Also played traditionally good class A schools outside their section in Blake, Breck, Hermantown, and Totino-Grace as well as Duluth Denfield and Hibbing who were solid this year.

This was my 5th time seeing him this year and I like his game. He has a ton of speed, good hands, and a good shot. Also did his job in his own zone and made a couple nice defensive plays that led to offense. Also really liked the defenseman Brendan Bushy for TRF he has good size and seems like a fluid skater with skill. Really good vision of the ice and knows when to push the pace and when he should slow it down. Will be good to see them against a good quick Breck team with some solid prospects of their own especially Ellingson and Blake.  

4 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

He really kind of exploded this season. Thief River like East Grand Forks and Warroad as well does play a pretty solid schedule though so it isn't like his stats are too inflated which is often the case with kids from Southern MN class A schools. TRF played 6 AA schools Bemidji and Roseau twice each, Moorhead, and Tartan. Also played traditionally good class A schools outside their section in Blake, Breck, Hermantown, and Totino-Grace as well as Duluth Denfield and Hibbing who were solid this year.

This was my 5th time seeing him this year and I like his game. He has a ton of speed, good hands, and a good shot. Also did his job in his own zone and made a couple nice defensive plays that led to offense. Also really liked the defenseman Brendan Bushy for TRF he has good size and seems like a fluid skater with skill. Really good vision of the ice and knows when to push the pace and when he should slow it down. Will be good to see them against a good quick Breck team with some solid prospects of their own especially Ellingson and Blake.  

Really???  I've seen him live and didn't ever notice him make a defensive play.  Thought he was very non-existent in his own zone and too often looked to leave zone early for a rush.  Put it this way...EGF in the section championship held TRF to like 4 shots and 3 shots (one empty netter) in second and third period.  EGF controlled the offensive zone and TRF was the faster team and hit more.

10 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Really???  I've seen him live and didn't ever notice him make a defensive play.  Thought he was very non-existent in his own zone and too often looked to leave zone early for a rush.  Put it this way...EGF in the section championship held TRF to like 4 shots and 3 shots (one empty netter) in second and third period.  EGF controlled the offensive zone and TRF was the faster team and hit more.

I totally agree all but I only watched him play in two games against EGF in which he scored 4 and 2 goals. He was invisible when he didn't have the puck and never backchecked and hardly even makes it back into the D zone. He is definitely a talented skater and player but is a long ways from being complete and I think he will learn some hard lessons next season if he plays juniors. Also, not having a letter on his jersey could be telling? But that is a total assumption on my part but just was kind of a red flag to me when 99.99% of the time in high school your best player/players are the captains.

17 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I agree that this kid may be talented and he is obviously pretty fast.  I am not saying he won't play college hockey I am simply wondering whether a team like UND would give him an offer this early without seeing him play junior A hockey.  Bowen dominated single A hockey for more than a year and now he is somewhat struggling in a high offensive junior league on a team that is absolutely stacked.  My point is that high school hockey (especially single A) vs juniors is an entire different ball game (as is juniors to college).  Sometimes you don't know when a kid is going to peak.  As I've noted before, I do think UND keeps an eye on this kid though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I agree that this kid may be talented and he is obviously pretty fast.  I am not saying he won't play college hockey I am simply wondering whether a team like UND would give him an offer this early without seeing him play junior A hockey.  Bowen dominated single A hockey for more than a year and now he is somewhat struggling in a high offensive junior league on a team that is absolutely stacked.  My point is that high school hockey (especially single A) vs juniors is an entire different ball game (as is juniors to college).  Sometimes you don't know when a kid is going to peak.  As I've noted before, I do think UND keeps an eye on this kid though.

I agree with you I think UND will wait to see what he does in juniors a little while before they offer. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some offers or gets some after the state tournament. I think you've said St. Cloud before and I could definitely see the fit there wouldn't be surprised if he has or will soon get offers from Bemidji and Mankato too.

14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Yes that is how he has played when I watched him. Watching yesterday he did a nice job covering the points and had a good backcheck where he stole the puck high in his d-zone and it lead to a 2-on-1 for his 3rd goal. I think he still has work to do in to become a complete player however I have seen other players far less active in the defensive zone than Johnson committed to D1 schools. I didn't see the 8A championship but caught some on the radio and it sounded like after the 1st EGF completely dominated that game but couldn't score so that wouldn't surprise me. It will be good to see him against a team like Breck tomorrow where there shouldn't be too much of a speed edge either way.

WHAT Did They Say ABOUT LJ back at that stage of development ?

Absolutely agree. He's definitely a player who needs a year or two in junior. Regardless of when the production came, when a player scores nearly 50 goals in a season, it'd be silly for UND to not at least take a look. Particularly since he's 45 minutes from campus. I have no doubt in my mind that we have our eye on him. Scoring a hatty in a state game is no small feat (despite there being four yesterday haha). He's got work to do, but he's a talent.

47 minutes ago, Fetch said:

WHAT Did They Say ABOUT LJ back at that stage of development ?

He averaged a point per game his junior year of high school playing for the Lincoln Stars, slightly fell off his senior year for the same team.  One thing to note is that LJ played with a guy (Kevin Roy) who completely tore up the USHL so is junior year numbers were pretty inflated.  LJ was taken off Roy's line toward the end of the year and during the playoffs and that is when I saw a significant decline in his numbers.

LJ would have shredded high school hockey his junior and senior years of high school (had he played at that lower level) simply due to his shot. He averaged a pt/gm as an 8th grader.

55 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I agree with you I think UND will wait to see what he does in juniors a little while before they offer. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some offers or gets some after the state tournament. I think you've said St. Cloud before and I could definitely see the fit there wouldn't be surprised if he has or will soon get offers from Bemidji and Mankato too.

'Ol Deano down in Omaha doesn't mind taking an early shot at Minnesota high schoolers either.

• Upvote 1

Watching Eden Prairie/Anoka really like JR defenseman Nicky Leivermann from EP. He has shown a lot of offensive skill but also responsible in his own zone and is a good skater. Doesn't seem to be a real physical player but more uses position to take guys off the puck.   

The more I see of Soph. defenseman Chase Hartje of Bemidji the more convinced I am that he will be a very good college player. He logged a lot of minutes tonight against Grand Rapids and was excellent. Great skater and puck mover he rushed the puck more tonight and was more offensive minded then I've seen in other games he is gonna be a real good one.