SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

2 hours ago, sprig said:

Big kid with Karl and Shaw at the women's BB game on Saturday. W on his hat and hockey coat (not a Wisco W). Anyone know who that is?

Was the W blue/yellow? If it was it could have been a couple different Wayzata kids although both of the guys I'm thinking of are 6 ft or under so not real big kids.

19 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Was the W blue/yellow? If it was it could have been a couple different Wayzata kids although both of the guys I'm thinking of are 6 ft or under so not real big kids.

Yellow W, so maybe,  but he was 6-3 or6-4.

50 minutes ago, sprig said:

Yellow W, so maybe,  but he was 6-3 or6-4.

Probably Colin Schmidt found him on Twitter and looks like his profile pic is him at the Ralph. He's a Soph at Wayzata and has 9 goals and 3 assists this year. I didn't find a size on him but did see him mentioned in a preseason article from Chris Dilks:
Colin Schmidt-F-Wayzata-Schmidt is a big, tough power forward with good scoring ability. He hasn't drawn as much attention as some of the other top 2000-born prospects in the state, but that won't be the case for long.

32 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Probably Colin Schmidt found him on Twitter and looks like his profile pic is him at the Ralph. He's a Soph at Wayzata and has 9 goals and 3 assists this year. I didn't find a size on him but did see him mentioned in a preseason article from Chris Dilks:
Colin Schmidt-F-Wayzata-Schmidt is a big, tough power forward with good scoring ability. He hasn't drawn as much attention as some of the other top 2000-born prospects in the state, but that won't be the case for long.

do you have a link to the pic? I'm not a twitter guy

Edit: Found it, and yes, that's the guy. Looks like he picked up a hoodie (is that a hoodie?) in the Sioux Shop before the men's game.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, tnt said:

Ethan Johnson of TRF scores 4 goals in the third against EGF to overcome a 2-0 deficit.  Will someone lock him up before he plays junior hockey?  

I'm going to preface this with only seeing him play once this year and wasn't specifically watching for him.  He's good, but I think Loven from EGF is better complete game or was last year for tourney run (been injured all year).  Johnson does have speed but other than a rush you don't really notice him.  His line mates did most of the work tonight other than the one great move to beat D and then go top shelf backhand.  Fourth goal was empty netter.  Didn't really notice him shoot other than around the net to get read on that.  Same in D end.  Didn't notice him make a play until empty netter, but again wasn't watching only him the whole time.  Doesn't seem to dominate a game the way a Bowen, Yon or Loven did.  Those guys you just always seemed to be aware of when they were on the ice.

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'm going to preface this with only seeing him play once this year and wasn't specifically watching for him.  He's good, but I think Loven from EGF is better complete game or was last year for tourney run (been injured all year).  Johnson does have speed but other than a rush you don't really notice him.  His line mates did most of the work tonight other than the one great move to beat D and then go top shelf backhand.  Fourth goal was empty netter.  Didn't really notice him shoot other than around the net to get read on that.  Same in D end.  Didn't notice him make a play until empty netter, but again wasn't watching only him the whole time.  Doesn't seem to dominate a game the way a Bowen, Yon or Loven did.  Those guys you just always seemed to be aware of when they were on the ice.

I was at the game last night and watched Johnson closely. Definitely a talented player and an elite skater but invisible when he doesn't have the puck. Floated back on the backcheck, did nothing in the D zone and rarely went hard after the puck on the forecheck but if he got the puck with speed through the neutral zone he was gone. Sad to say but these are      habits that are built by playing inferior competition in Class A high school hockey. I think he will need to prove himself for a year or 2 in juniors and learn to play in all 3 zones to be successful at the next level. Which is what he will have to do if he wants to play in the USHL. No doubt he is a talented player though and I think he is much more talented than Loven at this point.  

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Single A hockey players can be hit or miss as the competition just isn't there.  If this kid was scoring at this rate as a soph I would say take a look at him.  We all know of the Nelson's and Oshie's but those guys were looked at by everybody (including the NHL).  You can only have so many verbals, I would save them for kids who can produce at the junior level. Or kids who are very good at a young age.

Looks like the kid is having a good year though.  He'll obviously play juniors somewhere, Berry will simply have to keep an eye on this kid.

This player fits the profile of someone Motzko locks up early.  Lock him up now and hope he learns the rest of the game in juniors.  Although I didn't see him in HS, I wouldn't be surprised if Benik was far from complete at that age ... all he did was score.  And I haven't seen this one either, so I have no idea if I should be mentioning him with Benik.

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2016 at 9:10 AM, jk said:

This player fits the profile of someone Motzko locks up early.  Lock him up now and hope he learns the rest of the game in juniors.  Although I didn't see him in HS, I wouldn't be surprised if Benik was far from complete at that age ... all he did was score.  And I haven't seen this one either, so I have no idea if I should be mentioning him with Benik.

Very fair comparison to Benik in my opinion. Its not a Class A/AA argument anymore. These kids that are elite are participating in spring festivals, summer leagues, fall leagues, etc., playing against the top competition and they are already on the radar. A kid can't hardly help the town he lives in and whether he's attending a school that is A or AA. Kids at any level can be hit or miss. 39 goals in a season of high school hockey is impressive, I don't care where you're playing. And TRF plays a pretty solid schedule.

Here is a great article to ponder: http://www.letsplayhockey.com/teams/high-school/2979-moose-lake-hockey-lives-on.html

You are spot on with the Motzko reference as well. May see another '99 or two from Section 8 get snatched up by SCSU soon as well. The pitch is that "if you were two inches taller, every school in the country would be all over you. I'm here making an offer now because I believe in you." - I know for a fact he's playing this angle. Motzko has done pretty well recruiting these types of guys. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Jonathan Tychonick committed to play for Penticton Vees next season.

Drafted 12th overall in the WHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=281730

Sounds like he was eyeing college before the WHL draft.  Some WHL insiders thought he would have gone higher than 12th overall had he been 100% committed to the WHL.  Saskatoon, which drafted him, had two first round picks last year, so taking a flier on him was likely worth the risk in their eyes.  

In a video interview after Saskatoon drafted him, he talked like he was going to the WHL for sure.  Going to Penticton changes things big time, and definitely shows he's interested in college at the very least.  The Tyson Jost tweet more-or-less confirms that assuming he knows a bit about the kid.

Johnny is a 5-11 (15 years old, going on 16 in a few weeks) D guy who claims to like to play all three zones, definitely talked like he leaned twoards the offensive side of the game.

Posted this in another thread but figured I'd put it here as it always seems like there are some potential recruits in the Minnesota state tournament.

Class A Wednesday
11a.m. #2 Breck School 24-3-1 vs. Mankato West 15-11-2
players to watch: Breck-8 Chase Ellingson SR F, 15 Mitch Machlitt JR F, 17 Tyler Scott SR F, 26 Will Blake SR F, 25 Dalton Weigel JR D, 11 Austin Heidemann JR F. Mankato West-18 Tyler Loe SR F, 15 Kyle Looft JR D, 10 Jimmy Miller JR F. 

30 minutes after game 1 #3 Thief River Falls 22-6 vs. Princeton 21-7
players to watch: TRF-14 Ethan Johnson SR F, 27 Michael Johnson SR F, 12 Lucas Magnusson SR F, 66 Brendan Bushy JR D. Princeton-3 Jake Carlson JR F, 5 Tyler McAlpine SR F, 17 Derek Abrahamson SR F.

6p.m. #1 Hermantown 24-2-1 vs. Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato 20-8
players to watch: Hermantown-5 Wyatt Aamodt SR D, 8 Jesse Jacques JR F, 11 Ryan Sandelin JR F, 27 Cole Koepke SR F, 9 Eric Gotz SR D, 4 Matt Valure JR F, 19 Tyler Watkins SO F. LDC-7 David Raisanen SR F, 5 Jared Pedersen SR F, Casey Peterson JR F, 20 Ben Haugo SR D.

30 minutes after game 3 #4 St. Paul Academy 23-5 vs. #5 St. Cloud Cathedral 20-7-1
players to watch: SPA-8 Justin Jallen SR F, 9 Dev McCabe SO F, 11 Matt Dahlseide JR F, 19 Jack Johnston JR F. SCC-2 Logan Neu SR F, 4 Jake VanHalbeck JR F, 19 Michael Spethmann JR F, Tanner Schmit SR F, 35 Keegan Karki SO G(Has visited UND).

Class AA Thursday
11a.m. #2 Stillwater 27-1-1 vs. Farmington 18-8-1
players to watch: Stillwater-11 Noah Cates JR F, 10 Jackson Cates SR F(Michigan Tech), 15 Luke Manning JR F, 22 TJ Sagissor JR F, 3 Jesse Bjugstad JR D, 30 Josh Benson SR G. Farmington-6 Erik Holmstrom SR D, 16 Wyatt Jensen SR F, 12 John Siebenaler SR F, 18 Tyler Jette SR D.

30 minutes after game 1 #3 Wayzata 19-8-1 vs. Burnsville 16-10-2
players to watch: Wayzata-18 Mark Senden SR F(UND), 5 Collin Schmidt SO F(Has visited UND), 21 Grant Anderson SO D(Omaha), 17 Billy Duma SR F(Air Force), 23 Hank Sorensen JR D, 10 Tyler Stevens JR F. Burnsville- 22 Cade Borchardt SR F, 17 Eric Otto SR F, 4 Nolan Sawchuk SR D, 3 Roman Ahcan JR F.

6p.m. #1 Eden Prairie 19-7-2 vs. Anoka 18-9
players to watch: Eden Prairie- 11 Casey Mittelstadt JR F(Minnesota), 16 Michael Graham SR F(Notre Dame), 4 Nicky Leivermann JR D, 12 Nolan Sullivan JR F, 17 Cole Lawrence SR F, 27 Hunter Johannes JR F. Anoka- 23 Isaac Johnson JR F, 16 Michael Talbot SR F, 19 Blake Neumann SR F, 20 Reese Grailer SR D.

30 minutes after game 3 #4 Grand Rapids 21-6-1 vs. #5 Bemidji 23-2-2
players to watch: Grand Rapids- 7 Blake McLaughlin SO F(Minnesota), 8 Gavin Hain SO F(UND), 9 Alex Adams SR F, 12 Jonah Bischoff SR F, 20 Micah Miller JR F, 21 Mitchell Mattson SR F(UND),  24 John Stampohar JR D(Has visited UND). Bemidji- 11 Alex Pollock JR F, 19 Brady Tatro JR F, 21 Nick Leitner SR D, 39 Jack Johnson SR F, 24 Chase Hartje SO D, 27 Erik Fitzgerald SR D, 16 Rocky Copiskey SR F.

• Upvote 1