SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

A nice kid in all. His ego and "2-year plan" path is the key problem with him at his time at UND. Was he ready to leave after two years? Some would argue no, and some would argue yes. He had quit the decent stats in his first professional year in the AHL, made the all-star game in his first year. Since his first year in the AHL, he's done hardly anything. Poor kid. Not impassive whatever so ever, even when he has an advantage of being a right handed shot/defenseman in the NHL. The kid is great, first pass puck moving defensemen and that's it. Kid can't shoot or skate by anyone. Rant over.

I think I actually watched a Sens game and I believe that he is still with the Senators.

I think I actually watched a Sens game and I believe that he is still with the Senators.

He is hurt now but I believe he has played in most of their games when healthy. Early in the year I read an article that he was on the Sens "shut down" pairing.

Edit: Looking at his minutes he is probably 2nd or 3rd pair but he has been hurt the last month

Brian Lee might be the most underrated player in UND Hockey history. :)

Had he left his purse in the locker room instead of bringing it on the ice with him every night he couldv'e been great. He shyed away from contact like it was his job. That doesn't work at UND regardless of how much of an offensive defenseman he was. Chay had no problem with getting a little dirty and he probably doesn't come up to Lee's shoulders and was a more productive player. I can't say that many other players have been more dissapointing to me in my history of watching UND hockey. Such a high draft pick and not much else to show for it...

That's perfectly fine, if you don't see MN Mr. hockey winners go to UND. The track record of past winners in the last 10-15 years have been busts. Nick Bjugstad could potentially be the one outlier, still I put him as a risk factor on how much impact he's really going to have in the nex level.

Its weird how in the last 10 years or so, no forward that has won Mr. Hockey has gone on to play in the NHL, I'm with you on there is a risk factor with Bjugstad on how much impact he will have in the NHL, but of all the player's in NCAA hockey, I would say he is one of the surest bets to make the NHL fulltime in some capacity. I'm just not sure if it will be as a top-6 scorer or not.

Its weird how in the last 10 years or so, no forward that has won Mr. Hockey has gone on to play in the NHL, I'm with you on there is a risk factor with Bjugstad on how much impact he will have in the NHL, but of all the player's in NCAA hockey, I would say he is one of the surest bets to make the NHL fulltime in some capacity. I'm just not sure if it will be as a top-6 scorer or not.

Bjugstad is a horse. He will succeed at the next level.

Unless his years at UMTC turn him into a complete weenie. :)

How many of the top MN prospects actually stay in HS through their senior year?

How many of the top MN prospects actually stay in HS through their senior year?

Not that many but enough that are high-end NHL prospects. The problem is that the Mr. Hockey winner is essentially the highest rated NHL draft prospect in the state of Minnesota. A guy like T.J. Oshie was a finalist for the award but did not win it because he was not considered the top prospect.

siouxforever- bjugstad would be the one outlier from the last 10+ years that hasnt been a bust? about half made it to the NHL. paul martin, johnny pohl, brian lee, ryan mcdonagh, nick leddy, aaron ness.. all guys that made it to the NHL. bjugstad will be on that list in a few months..

I would say that the fact that Bjugstad is one of, if not the scoring leader in the WCHA as an underage sophomore would seem to portend well for him in the future. Only more room for him to grow physically and mentally.

He will be a very effective player in the NHL due to his size and speed even if he doesn't produce offensively, but he has the potential to possibly be a first line center.

Does anyone know of a kid named Brendan Lemieux? Last night I happened to catch a tweet from him to Rocco Grimaldi. He said "Committed to University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!" @rgrimaldi23" .

I am not sure if he was just stating that Rocco was committed or that he, Brendan Lemieux, was committed.

Here is the link to his twitter account https://twitter.com/#!/blemieux22

Does anyone know of a kid named Brendan Lemieux? Last night I happened to catch a tweet from him to Rocco Grimaldi. He said "Committed to University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!" @rgrimaldi23" .

I am not sure if he was just stating that Rocco was committed or that he, Brendan Lemieux, was committed.

Here is the link to his twitter account https://twitter.com/#!/blemieux22

He must not be any good though, because all I've heard the past week is how bad UND's recruiting is supposed to be due to some sort of collateral nickname issue.

It's a possibility. From a The Hockey News article back in September of 2011:

College Hockey Inc. held another showcase for potential Canadian NCAA recruits last week, featuring approximately 80 elite teens from Ontario facing off against each other in front of a raft of college coaches. It took place in Toronto with the players divided into four teams, each playing two shortened games.

Among the talent assembled were three kids with strong NHL genes - Jake Gilmour (son of Doug), Dylan Gartner (son of Mike) and Brendan Lemieux (son of Claude), who one coach told me afterward may have been the best player there.

Link: http://www.thehockey...t-Hargrave.html

Looks like he has committed. He has some buddies congratulating him on committing to UND. This is a real big pickup.

I'm guessing this will be one of those battles for the next couple years between UND and the CHL. There will be lots of rumors both ways before he makes his way to campus in a few years. We are due to win one.

I'm guessing this will be one of those battles for the next couple years between UND and the CHL. There will be lots of rumors both ways before he makes his way to campus in a few years. We are due to win one.

Absolutely. Until he sets foot on campus nothing is forsure but at face value I am taking it for what its worth.

Why is he a prima donna? Because he plays for the Gophers? If there's a more NHL ready forward in the country than Bjugstad I certainly haven't seen him.

If Brock Nelson didn't get hurt right after high school and had the summer to lift weights and to add strength in addition to last year when he got banged up at the World Juniors and that delayed him as well, he is the better forward. If you haven't seen a better forward in the country, well it will/ soon to be Brock Nelson. He's got the higher skill set and ceiling than Bjugstad. Just needs to add strength.

Better player in speed, playmaking, hockey sense/IQ and on pace to developing a better shot. Brock will be a better pro. Sorry for ruining your high horse Buckysieve. Next debate.

Oh, last thing, He (Brock) doesn't play like a pansy. He's got that edge that Bjugstad doesn't have, just look at Nick's World Junior play this year :whistling: