SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Bjugstad is the real deal. He's huge, a good skater and had a nose for the back of the net. He will be playing in the NHL in the next year or two. As to the debate of the best college prospect, I still think Jaden Schwartz is a beast waiting to break out, although he hasn't really lit the world on fire this year. And Brock Nelson is in that conversation too, though he still needs 25 pounds of muscle before he's nhl ready imo.

If Brock Nelson didn't get hurt right after high school and had the summer to lift weights and to add strength in addition to last year when he got banged up at the World Juniors and that delayed him as well, he is the better forward. If you haven't seen a better forward in the country, well it will/ soon to be Brock Nelson. He's got the higher skill set and ceiling than Bjugstad. Just needs to add strength.

Better player in speed, playmaking, hockey sense/IQ and on pace to developing a better shot. Brock will be a better pro. Sorry for ruining your high horse Buckysieve. Next debate.

Oh, last thing, He (Brock) doesn't play like a pansy. He's got that edge that Bjugstad doesn't have, just look at Nick's World Junior play this year :whistling:

Didn't he lead the team in goals? And Bjugstad does not play like a pansy as you say. Its bizarre how every Sioux fan just assumes that if he plays for the Gophers, he's soft. Nelson is very good, but he's not on the level of Bjugstad right now. Not yet anyways.

Didn't he lead the team in goals? And Bjugstad does not play like a pansy as you say. Its bizarre how every Sioux fan just assumes that if he plays for the Gophers, he's soft. Nelson is very good, but he's not on the level of Bjugstad right now. Not yet anyways.

Not bizarre, that Sioux fans think gophers play soft, it's a fact of life. However, in the last few years they've recruited and developed some gritty players, more so than in the past. I'll give them that.

Still, watching a Gopher game/s and I do, I enjoy college hockey, it's pretty funny to see the "Minnesota tough mentality" try and come out.

Not bizarre, that Sioux fans think gophers play soft, it's a fact of life. However, in the last few years they've recruited and developed some gritty players, more so than in the past. I'll give them that.

Still, watching a Gopher game/s and I do, I enjoy college hockey, it's pretty funny to see the "Minnesota tough mentality" try and come out.

If Gopher players are so soft like you claim, then why has the U had 9 different defenseman play in the NHL this season compared to the amount of Sioux d-men playing in the league. It's not even close.

Fugstad is big but buckysieve he is just like most gopher players talk big and act big when they have their cadre of teammates around them but seem to turtle when left by themselves. Or they like to take cheapshots. Say what you will about NoDak but at least when we hit you its in front of your face and not while you are down or your back turned.

Fugstad is big but buckysieve he is just like most gopher players talk big and act big when they have their cadre of teammates around them but seem to turtle when left by themselves. Or they like to take cheapshots. Say what you will about NoDak but at least when we hit you its in front of your face and not while you are down or your back turned.

Kristo didn't hit Marshall with his back turned and try to drive his head into the boards?

I'm all for ripping the Goofs but sometimes I think some of my fellow fans live in a bubble when it comes to this stuff. It's not like none of our guys have never done anything questionable on the ice.

• Upvote 1

There it is!! There's that classic Sioux delusional thinking about the Gophers! Yep, if you have an M on your chest, you talk trash, take cheap shots, and hide behind your coaches and teammates. :silly:

And your last line about UND only hitting opponents from the front is laughable. Kristo's hit on Marshall in Grand Forks was one of the cheaper hits in the league all year. Hits him diirectly from behind and then throws a punch for good measure.

Bjugstad is the real deal. He's huge, a good skater and had a nose for the back of the net. He will be playing in the NHL in the next year or two. As to the debate of the best college prospect, I still think Jaden Schwartz is a beast waiting to break out, although he hasn't really lit the world on fire this year. And Brock Nelson is in that conversation too, though he still needs 25 pounds of muscle before he's nhl ready imo.

I agree with you here. Bjugstad is definitely the real deal and as of right now the better player than Nelson. Nelson is definitely a great player but to call him grittier is a tough argument. He may play grittier than Bjugstad but it is difficult to tell since Bjugstad is stronger at this stage. Nelson gets knocked off the puck quite easily still but will get better with added strength and weight. I agree with buckysieve in that the only college forward who I have seen that is as ready as Bjugstad for the NHL is Krieder from BC.

If Gopher players are so soft like you claim, then why has the U had 9 different defenseman play in the NHL this season compared to the amount of Sioux d-men playing in the league. It's not even close.

Yep, Nick Leddy, Keith Ballard, Aaron Ness (to be fair, just got his shot in the NHL, very surprised, not size ready for the NHL or NHL worthy) Stu Bickel, a goon/fighter. not that great.

I do respect Paul Martin and Leopold. Who else am I missing?

Oh, Eric Johnson, he's decent, but nothing great. I thought he'd be a lot better. Being a right handed shot in the NHL has a lot of advantages, but he's not even in the top 5 best right handed D'men in the league.

Who else?

Yep, Nick Leddy, Keith Ballard, Aaron Ness (to be fair, just got his shot in the NHL, very surprised, not size ready for the NHL or NHL worthy) Stu Bickel, a goon/fighter. not that great.

I do respect Paul Martin and Leopold. Who else am I missing?

Oh, Eric Johnson, he's decent, but nothing great. I thought he'd be a lot better. Being a right handed shot in the NHL has a lot of advantages, but he's not even in the top 5 best right handed D'men in the league.

Who else?

Off the top of my head, Leopold, Martin, Ballard, Johnson, Goligoski, Leddy, Bickel, Ness, and Fairchild have all played in the NHL this season.

Off the top of my head, Leopold, Martin, Ballard, Johnson, Goligoski, Leddy, Bickel, Ness, and Fairchild have all played in the NHL this season.

The best part of that list is all those players and some great (Leopold, Martin Goligoski, probably the best) are all over shadowed for their lack of physical presence on the ice. There's no surprise why the Pens kept some grittier D' man and skilled ones, Letang comes to mind over those former Gopher players who spent time with the Penquins.

Great offensive ceiling and high IQ's of the game, but play a soft game. Those guys won't help Team USA fulfill the dream of winning a gold at the next olympics.

Oh, Eric Johnson, he's decent, but nothing great. I thought he'd be a lot better. Being a right handed shot in the NHL has a lot of advantages, but he's not even in the top 5 best right handed D'men in the league. Who else?
Eric Johnson next to Blake Wheelers are two of the softest big bodied players I have ever seen. Keith Ballard has some grit though... Edited by Goon

This thread seems to have taken a turn away from prospective Sioux recruits... :whistling:

Anyone have any more info on Lemieux? I hope this former-NHL parent recruit doesn't turn out like the last one with Matteau.

that's the big question. He's still quite a ways away from coming in and his dad is a former CHLer.

After Thanksgiving Bjugstad has 8 goals and 5 assists for 13 points in 15 games, while Nelson has 13 goals and 8 assists for 21 points in 17 games, and that was missing Corbin Knight for several games, so he might be at a higher level than you give him credit for.

After Thanksgiving Bjugstad has 8 goals and 5 assists for 13 points in 15 games, while Nelson has 13 goals and 8 assists for 21 points in 17 games, and that was missing Corbin Knight for several games, so he might be at a higher level than you give him credit for.

Nelson's a very good player. But its easy to cherry pick a stretch during the season to find stats that support your argument. Bjugstad is second in the nation in goal scoring.......For the WHOLE year.

Has anyone seen the goal from alex mason from DL, some are calling it the goal of the year at any level. In another interview while he was at a pow wow he said that he is looking at either going to canada to play, UM or UND. This is the first I have seen of him. Is he on the radar?