SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 10/5/24

SiouxFan100

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We cannot afford any dropped interceptions-given the chance we need to make the play

Or dropped passes by our WR's. Offense and defense both need to capitalize on big plays when they are there for the taking. No missed sacks that turn into 40 yard Touchdown type of things. Need a great tackling day! 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Go back to the board last and there were the same concerns about Miller and things turned out well.  They have no running game and no receivers UND will be just fine.

Knowing UND, some unheard of on NDSU's roster will have a break out day.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not saying UND can't win on Saturday but I wouldn't bet again Cam at home vs his instate rival. Teams with the better QB at home in big games usually win. 

I think Miller is definitely the key.  If he has a good game and rolls in the running game it will take a special effort by the Hawks offense to stay with him.  

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

Doesn't need to be special just keep doing what they have the last month.

Defense gave up 28 in a half to Idaho State, 24 to a non scholarship team, and 28 to Murray in just over a half. They will need to be a lot better than what they’ve been the last month 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Defense gave up 28 in a half to Idaho State, 24 to a non scholarship team, and 28 to Murray in just over a half. They will need to be a lot better than what they’ve been the last month 

Ouch!! Those numbers aren't great!

However, does Massey do defensive ratings? What are we rated on there?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

The Idaho game was over at half. The other two were on bye and it was clear they came up with schemes specifically for us and we adjusted and pulled away. I also think the USD game was a letdown because it was a Pioneer team and we were coming off two Big Sky wins. 

The real test is Saturday. We'll see how good or bad we really are.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Go back to the board last and there were the same concerns about Miller and things turned out well.  They have no running game and no receivers UND will be just fine.

They have started getting RFr Brown the ball a bit more consistently and he's been pretty good, or at least better than what they had been doing (constant QB powers).
Trey Lance's brother is the only WR I'd be super worried about, though they do like to throw it to their TE's on seam and clear-out routes.
Biggest thing is still going to be Miller extending plays with his feet and taking off. And who knows what they will draw up with Cole Payton, who's role has continued to diminish the last few weeks.

Defensively, should be able to run right at them and make them try to tackle in space like we did last year. Maybe they fixed something between ETSU/Towson and ISUr because there seemed to be a lot less success on the ground.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

They have started getting RFr Brown the ball a bit more consistently and he's been pretty good, or at least better than what they had been doing (constant QB powers).
Trey Lance's brother is the only WR I'd be super worried about, though they do like to throw it to their TE's on seam and clear-out routes.
Biggest thing is still going to be Miller extending plays with his feet and taking off. And who knows what they will draw up with Cole Payton, who's role has continued to diminish the last few weeks.

Defensively, should be able to run right at them and make them try to tackle in space like we did last year. Maybe they fixed something between ETSU/Towson and ISUr because there seemed to be a lot less success on the ground.

Spotlight is on the UND defense and Bubba ball (or maybe now Schwenzfeier ball?). I worry NDSU and Miller will score at will, and despite how good Fruechte’s offense has been the past month, UND can’t keep up with open floodgates in the Fargodome. 

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Spotlight is on the UND defense and Bubba ball (or maybe now Schwenzfeier ball?). I worry NDSU and Miller will score at will, and despite how good Fruechte’s offense has been the past month, UND can’t keep up with open floodgates in the Fargodome. 

I would agree a lot of it will be on the defense.  Our offense has honestly been so bizarre.....we complete like 8 passes but they go for 250 yards. I can't tell if it's smoke and mirrors yet or not. If we don't hit on those big passes our offensive numbers almost drop in half.  Those big passes have worked........because everyone since Montana is stacking the box. Will those big passes still hit against a better defense, I hope so.

I am hoping we still have some success on the ground even if they do stack the box. Last year they didn't adjust to stop the run so we kept running it down their throats. I think this year they will come out and primarily try and stop the run and force us to continue to execute those long passes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

My early feeling is we have a team that is capable of winning, but at home I think their offense makes a few more plays and we can't quite keep up.  That said though this game is huge for us and our team seems more confident this year...hoping they come through big on Saturday.

Poor timing on a trip as I'm heading to Cabo Thursday....so will be watching from the beach on my phone. We beat a ranked Portland State team on the road back in 2015 or 16 and watched that one from beach in Cancun.... hoping for similar results Saturday!

I feel different about this game in a good way.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

My early feeling is we have a team that is capable of winning, but at home I think their offense makes a few more plays and we can't quite keep up.  That said though this game is huge for us and our team seems more confident this year...hoping they come through big on Saturday.

Poor timing on a trip as I'm heading to Cabo Thursday....so will be watching from the beach on my phone. We beat a ranked Portland State team on the road back in 2015 or 16 and watched that one from beach in Cancun.... hoping for similar results Saturday!

All we need is a Romfo bootleg to seal the win 

• Upvote 1