SiouxSports.com Forum

Maryland Heights Regional -- UND vs Mich & MSU vs WMU

brianvf

14 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

After  playing the Badgers early in the year, I thought this team has the potential to be a Frozen Four team.  Our defense was so good at limiting their chances and our goalie played great.  How do we get back to that?

Did it against Miami. Did it, in large part against Western. Not much the other games down the stretch. The sweep against DU when we held them to 2 goals each night when they hadn't been held under three all season was my favorite weekend.

I saw it in stretches on Friday against Omaha, but it seemed like every time we lost a puck battle, it was in the back of the net. So frustrating. Obviously they feel the same way about it. 

12 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

After  playing the Badgers early in the year, I thought this team has the potential to be a Frozen Four team.  Our defense was so good at limiting their chances and our goalie played great.  How do we get back to that?

I see it as a matchup problem, and teams will now attempt to use the "formula" of CC and Omaha:

1. Hard forechecking in the defensive zone and play physical

2. Win faceoffs (CC and Omaha are very good at faceoffs) because they have puck possession and many goals are scored off of faceoffs

3. Aggressive PK to limit our power play

4. Traffic in front of UND net and shoot from the point

5. Good goaltending

These are just my observations. UND seems to have better success against highly skilled teams like DU, Minnesota and BU. 

16 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Also helped that UW hit 4-5 posts in that game.  ;):)
But I'll take that kind of puck luck any day.  I'd take it on Friday. 

• Upvote 2

So tickets are going for around $1000. How many people are complaining online 1.) about the NCAA selling tickets that high 2.) they should use the Enterprise Center. Well the tickets are that high because they are being resold and last time they used the Enterprise Center in 2011 the attendance was bad, 5,024 in a 18,096. And they were with BC, Michigan, Omaha, and CC (that regional is always going to be known for the Michigan goal that eliminated Omaha). With hindsight 20/20 Family Arena across the river would have been a better option, but could still have the low attendance like last time the regional was there. 

I'm also excited about the venue.  That the small size keeps some folks home is a problem, but not nearly as big a problem as 2500 people and 13000 empty seats.  My first choice would be higher seeds hosting, but all the games played before packed crowds of 3000 would be second for me, with cavernous, last of us, largely deserted arenas a distant third.  Just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I see it as a matchup problem, and teams will now attempt to use the "formula" of CC and Omaha:

2. Win faceoffs (CC and Omaha are very good at faceoffs) because they have puck possession and many goals are scored off of faceoffs

5. Good goaltending

These are just my observations. UND seems to have better success against highly skilled teams like DU, Minnesota and BU. 

Totally agree with all of this. The bolded part was exactly why I wanted to avoid Sioux Falls with RIT and Omaha in that bracket. I think we match up well against all three teams in our region

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Totally agree with all of this. The bolded part was exactly why I wanted to avoid Sioux Falls with RIT and Omaha in that bracket. I think we match up well against all three teams in our region

Michigan State worries me more than Michigan, mostly because of very good goaltending. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, jk said:

I'm also excited about the venue.  That the small size keeps some folks home is a problem, but not nearly as big a problem as 2500 people and 13000 empty seats.  My first choice would be higher seeds hosting, but all the games played before packed crowds of 3000 would be second for me, with cavernous, last of us, largely deserted arenas a distant third.  Just my opinion.

Le't just get the games back to campus where they belong!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

5. Good goaltending

I would say that's a good recipe against any team at any level.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cberkas said:

So tickets are going for around $1000. How many people are complaining online 1.) about the NCAA selling tickets that high 2.) they should use the Enterprise Center. Well the tickets are that high because they are being resold and last time they used the Enterprise Center in 2011 the attendance was bad, 5,024 in a 18,096. And they were with BC, Michigan, Omaha, and CC (that regional is always going to be known for the Michigan goal that eliminated Omaha). With hindsight 20/20 Family Arena across the river would have been a better option, but could still have the low attendance like last time the regional was there. 

Not sure I understand the logic here. Attendance of 5024 is bad but 2500 is good?  I get wanting to have a full arena but 2500 is a joke. If the NC$$ is going to give a regional to a site that small then the system is broke. What’s next, a regional in Arizona State’s old rink with capacity around 1000? Maybe REA should redesign the Olympic rink and make in NHL ice and then put in a bid for a regional since it’s not home ice. Or how about Purpur arena, it looks like that seats 2500. 

22 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bubs needs to call blake, gaber, dylan, and perron and a dman into his office five minutes before the game cuss em out and take each one of their meticulously taped $300 dollar sticks and break em over his knee one by one and then yell at em "get the !@#$ out of my office and go kick their mf'n asses".....

if Berry breaks their sticks...... What are they going to play with?????:whistling::whistling::whistling:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

call blais and ask him....

When Blais coached, he'd just call Christian Bros and have them send over a few hundred more wood sticks from Warroad.
Little bit different animal these days.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Not sure I understand the logic here. Attendance of 5024 is bad but 2500 is good?  I get wanting to have a full arena but 2500 is a joke. If the NC$$ is going to give a regional to a site that small then the system is broke. What’s next, a regional in Arizona State’s old rink with capacity around 1000? Maybe REA should redesign the Olympic rink and make in NHL ice and then put in a bid for a regional since it’s not home ice. Or how about Purpur arena, it looks like that seats 2500. 

If the games are packed it will look better than seeing a basically empty NHL arena like it was in 2011. It would be how everyone said Fargo was a hit the first year they hosted when all the AHL/ECHL arenas in the other sites looked empty. I think this was a dumb choice for a regional site but the selection committee went with it instead of saying how about a different arena in St. Louis or go with Fargo, Loveland, Green Bay, KC or Milwaukee (I have no idea who also bid but these are just options). 

One big problem with the West and Midwest is no one but 9 to 10 teams bid with Minnesota and North Dakota being the main 2 (I don’t consider Allentown a Midwest regional).

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Also helped that UW hit 4-5 posts in that game.  ;):)
But I'll take that kind of puck luck any day.  I'd take it on Friday. 

But it's not about puck luck, a couple shots being a literal inch off target, or being off-sides by the width of a sheet of paper... it's about poor coaching, lack of motivation, and stick breaking.  I heard that Berry broken 4 sticks that game and Hasting only broke 2.  Not difficult to figure out why we won.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

But it's not about puck luck, a couple shots being a literal inch off target, or being off-sides by the width of a sheet of paper... it's about poor coaching, lack of motivation, and stick breaking.  I heard that Berry broken 4 sticks that game and Hasting only broke 2.  Not difficult to figure out why we won.

A massive screamfest from Berry and Dane would do wonders during pre-game.
Don't think Simmers or Karl have it in them though, might need to bring back Deano and Geno if they make it to the Sunday game.

Just want to remind everyone the world was imploding on this message board almost a year ago to the day when we lost all of our Dmen. An 'NCAA team fighting for a Penrose' seemed optimistic back then(at least for some). We won the Penrose, we're in the NCAAs, might as well win 4 more measly games. Also LOL at including Emerson

image.thumb.png.db75c53d6d0f529156b875c2d277ac2d.png

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, brianvf said:

A massive screamfest from Berry and Dane would do wonders during pre-game.
Don't think Simmers or Karl have it in them though, might need to bring back Deano and Geno if they make it to the Sunday game.

Secondhand story from back in the day.  A member of the training staff was working on a player between periods in the mid 1980s.  He was in the locker room but on the floor out of sight when Gino came in and absolutely shredded the team.  He was terrified and did not get up to leave until Gino had gone.  It's easy to imagine it was true.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Just want to remind everyone the world was imploding on this message board almost a year ago to the day when we lost all of our Dmen. An 'NCAA team fighting for a Penrose' seemed optimistic back then(at least for some). We won the Penrose, we're in the NCAAs, might as well win 4 more measly games. Also LOL at including Emerson

image.thumb.png.db75c53d6d0f529156b875c2d277ac2d.png

dude, i almost forgot how bad Moore was....thanks for reminding me