SiouxSports.com Forum

Maryland Heights Regional -- UND vs Mich & MSU vs WMU

brianvf

2 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

No worries. The last I had heard was speculation that he was dealing with a nagging injury. 

In any case, I'm hoping Ludvig is 100% on Friday. We're gonna need him at his best for the next four games.

Yeah, it's not an injury.

4 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Is there an altitude adjustment for Maryland heights

837' - 505' ... Grand Forks is the higher above sea level. 

Do we have a de-altitude chamber? :huh: :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

First couple of goals.  Didn't that happen in 98 at Yost?

Yes. I was at that regional. UND was up 3-1 late in the 2nd against Michigan. Jesse Bull was open in front on a cross ice pass through the crease and had a wide open net. Unfortunately, the puck hopped over his stick, the Michigan defender banked it off the boards just as the Michigan player was coming out of the box, and he scored on a breakaway to make it 3-2 after 2 periods. It was seconds from being 4-1, but the momentum totally shifted, especially since Michigan had home ice. They ended up winning 4-3 and went on to win the NCAA tournament. Probably the toughest loss I have ever witnessed as a UND fan. UND was the better team, but the combination of momentum and the very loud pro-Michigan crowd was the difference. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Works for me. Go tell Bubs to yell that to the team ;)

Gotta be a profane rant, where he breaks shyt.  No down side I can see:  if they lose, they'll soon have social-media-induced PTSD anyway.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, burd said:

Gotta be a profane rant, where he breaks shyt.  No down side I can see:  if they lose, they'll soon have social-media-induced PTSD anyway.  

For every broken stick and every time he uses the word "pussy" we are +.5 goals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

Maybe, but he was far too often the scapegoat. I always liked his game, but he was inconsistent. When he was good, he was really good. When he struggled, he really struggled. As you know, defense is not only the defensemen. It requires the forwards to also defend and cover their guys and also requires goaltending. 

I said this a few times last year. The biggest problem we had on defense in the early season last year was our forward group.

19 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Yes. I was at that regional. UND was up 3-1 late in the 2nd against Michigan. Jesse Bull was open in front on a cross ice pass through the crease and had a wide open net. Unfortunately, the puck hopped over his stick, the Michigan defender banked it off the boards just as the Michigan player was coming out of the box, and he scored on a breakaway to make it 3-2 after 2 periods. It was seconds from being 4-1, but the momentum totally shifted, especially since Michigan had home ice. They ended up winning 4-3 and went on to win the NCAA tournament. Probably the toughest loss I have ever witnessed as a UND fan. UND was the better team, but the combination of momentum and the very loud pro-Michigan crowd was the difference. 

2011 FF against Michigan also ranks up there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Any reason why we never face Michigan in the regular season?

Ask Red Berenson?  I'm sure there's a reason they would never agree to home and home non-conference with UND...from what I've heard, UND would be open to it.  Must be some bad history/feelings there.

47 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

2011 FF against Michigan also ranks up there. 

Yep.

I'd also put the 2004 regional final loss to DU on there (in Colorado Springs).
1-0 on a late 3rd period goal from DU.
UND outshot them 33-17 but just couldn't get one past Berkhoel.  Ryan Hale hit the post less than a minute in and that set the tone.
The year of the Parise/Murray/Bochenski big line (The Money Line).  Parise turned pro a couple days later.

I remember just turning off the TV and sitting in my living room in silence after that game.

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yep.

I'd also put the 2004 regional final loss to DU on there (in Colorado Springs).
1-0 on a late 3rd period goal from DU.
UND outshot them 33-17 but just couldn't get one past Berkhoel.  Ryan Hale hit the post less than a minute in and that set the tone.
The year of the Parise/Murray/Bochenski big line (The Money Line).  Parise turned pro a couple days later.

I remember just turning off the TV and sitting in my living room in silence after that game.

Couldn't even watch that one here because Fox Sports was in some sort of dispute with Comcast.  Maybe that was better that I didn't have to see it.

UND travel journal is up:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hockey-travel-journal-fighting-hawks-land-in-st-louis?fbclid=IwAR0k4h9r8s9OYDVjm0xIAWXKJCv8k8wSe9tddtCzs9bwTSRzrPKW7O6QFOw_aem_ASRBhxFd9mGWUmL81rwlxWCBV9aixml822HULqp21CEy4y8hLb0dK6BFjREMVLn1rrlV2PCgFouD5yBHsiHETAkW

A couple of minutes after the UND hockey team's charter airplane took off from Grand Forks International Airport on Wednesday afternoon, the pilot turned on the intercom.

He said they have one thing to pass along from the control tower.

"Nine would be fine," the pilot said.

• Like 4

Does anyone know why Bubs took James off the O'Mc line?  coming out of the break those guys were flying. I get that Kunz is a grinder but James is faster and way more skilled.  Sorry but the kid is waisting away down on the grind line with Jammer and Schmaltz.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wonder if some of our advantage in depth is negated with all the tv timeouts.  I sure would rather see Michigan’s 4th line more than their high end NHL draft picks.  Let’s hope Ludvig is on, and Michigan’s goalie is off.

37 minutes ago, Bleedn Green said:

Does anyone know why Bubs took James off the O'Mc line?  coming out of the break those guys were flying. I get that Kunz is a grinder but James is faster and way more skilled.  Sorry but the kid is waisting away down on the grind line with Jammer and Schmaltz.

I don't actually think Kunz is a grinder, he's just a big skill player.  Of course James is much faster, but I'm not sure he's any more skilled, in terms of hands and vision.  I also don't think it's a demotion so much as trying to assemble a checking line that can take on an opponent's best players.  I don't think Kunz could keep up in that assignment, but James can.  That's also the role where I think James can carve out an NHL career.

1 hour ago, Bleedn Green said:

Personally, I think we finally saw Johannes look like he did in the first half when he got moved up to OMac and Blake's line on Friday. Those three created a bunch in the third. That's my top line as long as Johannes is healthy.