SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Playoffs

Wilbur

21 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Two Jack Adams Awards. I love Torts 

My last comment on this topic:

If he's so great, then why don't teams hang onto him despite being a Grade A Prick? There has to be some concrete reasons why he bounces around the league so much.

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

My last comment on this topic:

If he's so great, then why don't teams hang onto him despite being a Grade A Prick? There has to be some concrete reasons why he bounces around the league so much.

Because he is hired to be a fixer, a short-term hard reset guy. That's his thing. 

Philly's team culture post Giroux/Voracek hadn't recovered and needed a shock to the system. Enter Torts. He may get them into the playoffs this year. And he'll be gone before 2027. And Philly management knows and expects that. 

Torts is what he is. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Latkoczy made a lot of good saves, but CC doesn't generally, IMO, really generate a ton of Grade As. They seem to rely on their great speed, ridiculously heavy forecheck, and chaos in front of the net. Works great for them. 

Yeah CC may have had a lot of shots but Omaha did a stunningly good job at keeping most shots to the perimeter. CC only got 1 even strength goal the entire series if you exclude extra attacker goals. All their other goals were on the power play. Allowing only 1  5x5 goal in the course of 3 games on the road is an impressive feat and it makes me worried about our chances tomorrow if Omaha scores first. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Because he is hired to be a fixer, a short-term hard reset guy. That's his thing. 

Philly's team culture post Giroux/Voracek hadn't recovered and needed a shock to the system. Enter Torts. He may get them into the playoffs this year. And he'll be gone before 2027. And Philly management knows and expects that. 

Torts is what he is. 

So where does Torts rank on the Babcock scale? 

34 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Yeah CC may have had a lot of shots but Omaha did a stunningly good job at keeping most shots to the perimeter. CC only got 1 even strength goal the entire series if you exclude extra attacker goals. All their other goals were on the power play. Allowing only 1  5x5 goal in the course of 3 games on the road is an impressive feat and it makes me worried about our chances tomorrow if Omaha scores first. 

What I think CC does well is outwork their important. Omaha is very similar in that vein. If UND can keep them to the outside and clear first rebound, I'm not worried. 

I think this team is SO much better when we score first. We're a team that can absolutely blow a team away once they get rolling. 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What I think CC does well is outwork their important. Omaha is very similar in that vein. If UND can keep them to the outside and clear first rebound, I'm not worried. 

I think this team is SO much better when we score first. We're a team that can absolutely blow a team away once they get rolling. 

I'm not as worried about how we play defensively against them either and I 100% agree about this team and scoring first because they aren't always great game-chasers. I'm worried that we won't be able to score much.  I think we only got 1 even strength goal that weekend Omaha and one of our goals was a snipe by Perron when 5x3. Last line change doesn't seem to matter much against them because they stay so strong to their defensive structure and what gets through their D the goalie handles quite well. I'm happy that we get a game against a team that plays like this so close to the tourney because games always seem to tighten up. 

who do we think is going to be in goal tomorrow? IMO they should stick with Hobey. the guys seem to lock it down in front of him and don't let a lot of the garbage get through. plus Hobey seems to have really good rebound control. 

4 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

who do we think is going to be in goal tomorrow? IMO they should stick with Hobey. the guys seem to lock it down in front of him and don't let a lot of the garbage get through. plus Hobey seems to have really good rebound control. 

I too am hoping to see Hobey between the pipes, but the coaches know better than I do.:)

On 3/18/2024 at 5:43 PM, Sweethockey said:

The Wild attack 110 in the first and third periods. I would think it would be the same for UND 

Per the Herald, UND will be on the Visitor's bench on Friday...therefore, I'm guessing they will be attacking the end with the Zamboni entrance (section 123) twice against Omaha.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-practice-report-ludvig-persson-looks-very-good-at-xcel-energy-center?fbclid=IwAR1La0Kg925QR0SV4omwvFHc6sm8EO7oYcabRbX8-rEEiujHokaLzkneab4

Persson, who missed last weekend’s National Collegiate Hockey Conference quarterfinal series against Miami with an undisclosed ailment, went through a full practice. He even stayed late to work through his normal routine.

“I thought he was outstanding,” Berry said of Persson. “I thought Hobie (Hedquist) was outstanding. I thought Kaleb Johnson was outstanding, as well. I've always preached about depth on our team in every position, and it showed last weekend with Hobie going in, and Ludvig’s been doing it all year. But (Persson) was very good today.”

Practice ended with the weekly team shootout. Captain Riese Gaber won it for the first time this season.

Just now, Blackheart said:

Per the Herald, UND will be on the Visitor's bench on Friday...therefore, I'm guessing they will be attacking the end with the Zamboni entrance (section 123) twice against Omaha.

Yep, and then they switch if they end up playing on Saturday:

• UND will be on the visitor bench Friday and using the visitor's dressing room. If the Fighting Hawks win, they'll be on the home bench Saturday. UND will have to vacate the visitor's room, because the St. Louis Blues will move in Saturday. The Blues play the Minnesota Wild at 1 p.m. Saturday.

Just now, Blackheart said:

That would be sweet for me! My tickets are in 120. I bought them in October, I believe. 

• Upvote 1

NCHC Award winners were handed out today:

Grainger - WMU - Senior Scholar Athlete
Gotz - UMD - Sportsmanship Award (must not be listening to Sandy's dive clinics)
Behrens - DU - Defensive Dman (Zmolek got robbed!)
Z Buium - DU - Offensive Dman
Z Buium - DU - Rookie of the Year
Laba - CC - Defensive Forward
Blake - UND - Forward of the Year
Mayotte - CC - Coach of the Year
Blake - UND - Player of the Year

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Attendance is gonna be bad with the upcoming storm.

If you’re in town tonight it shouldn’t be too bad.  Might be a little dicey overnight into the morning commute.

22 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

If you’re in town tonight it shouldn’t be too bad.  Might be a little dicey overnight into the morning commute.

Moreso many don't believe they can get out of Minneapolis area on Sunday.

So many won't chance it.

GJOhzxraAAAyllW.jpeg

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

So much for best laid plans and simple logic, we are now stuck behind Persson or Hedquist for two periods.

Grr !!!