SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. DU round two

1 minute ago, tnt said:

You realize we got swept in Denver in 2016 by 4-1 and 6-4.  It goes without saying you better play good defense at the right time of year, but in a one and done your goalie can’t have an off game either.  

This is no doubt the best team I’ve seen since 2016. I’m just tired of hyping up these teams for them to lose in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

Again, UND played the top offense in the country. They're number one for a reason. We might want to give DU some credit. I also think the Mile High City wore them down in the third period. I thought both teams had trouble at times. This was No. 2 vs. No. 3. I thought it was a good weekend of hockey. -- I think we thought anything less than a split was unacceptable. 

DU is good as usual. We did lose steam in the second and third periods. It was almost like we couldn’t wait for the game to end.

Goal tending is the teams weakness. 

This team has already essentially made the playoffs. 

Learn to see the bigger picture. Meaning defense will need to step up their game to avoid a tournament letdown. 

Nice to no longer see Brad write:  "UND outshot their opponent once again by 18 yet only scored one goal."

11 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

This is no doubt the best team I’ve seen since 2016. I’m just tired of hyping up these teams for them to lose in the playoffs.

They can’t do anything about that until later, and half these guys weren’t a part of any past losses, except with their previous teams. All they can do is position themselves to get the best advantages they can to help avoid future frustrations, and they are doing way better at that right now than any of us expected this early in the year. They need to keep that up, but they have obviously positioned themselves well up to now, which is all they can do.

13 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Didn't get the outcome we wanted tonight, but I'll take 4 of 6 points in Denver.  OT looked pretty disjointed; let's get back on track next week and beat up on CC.  Start a new winning streak!

Let’s face it, 3 on 3 is a crapshoot that is very unpredictable, about as unpredictable as winning a draw, which it comes down to many times. There isn’t any shame in losing under those circumstances, because there are so many opportunities each way that it basically comes down to puck possession and if your goalie can make a big save to give you possession back.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Learn to see the bigger picture. Meaning defense will need to step up their game to avoid a tournament letdown. 

Nice to no longer see Brad write:  "UND outshot their opponent once again by 18 yet only scored one goal."

Goaltending has been better this year. They left him out to dry and came up big tonight. I feel comfortable with him leading the way . A transfer who is playing like he way hyped up to be. His first save on the 3x3 goal was insane but no one was there to help clean it up for him.

this team is unstoppable if they can get the defense figured out.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

You’re talking about the same goaltending that stole one from Wisconsin, came into this series with a GAA below 2 n a save % of .927 or something like that? In my mind he  didn’t have a chance on the first 4 Friday night either.  It happens but weak-side assignments get missed, especially when chasing and/or tired.  It happened last night in the third but the puck never got across, had it the game would have been over in regulation. 

• Upvote 4

Denver scheduled the extra long first intermission vs UND because they wanted to be less gassed. 

DU was on the ropes Friday; I wonder how many more we could have scored if we really needed to.     

Very happy that this team (which is still learning to play together) could go to the toughest conference foe and get 4 of 6 points in their barn.  

This weekend was a big step forward.   And video reviews this week will show us what to work on.  

• Upvote 3

Watched the replay and we are lucky that game ended up in OT.  Devine had a wide and I mean wide open net when the puck rolled off his stick late in the game.

I thought they were fine at the 10 minute mark of the third, coverage mishap...DU goal, and we limped to OT.

The save before the OT goal was fantastic by Ludvig....man.  If Blake stops and collects it maybe we are talking about an extra point later on.

Denver looked more desperate late on Saturday, as they should be trying not to get swept at home by a rival.  

• Upvote 4

After the terrible start friday night UND played a really good game on Saturday. DU was very good defensively and didn't give a lot of good looks. I don't think the goalie was tested all that much compared to friday's game. Once DU tied it in the 3rd it seemed they took all the energy (in postgame interview Berry didn't think his team was tired...) and momentum. They had quite a few good scoring chances. UND was very close to losing that game in the 3rd but survived to OT. Hopefully we don't see certain players on 3 on 3 ever again. But it's Berry so we know that's not gonna happen. We ended the weekend #1 in the pairwise with BC losing a game so a pretty successful weekend I'd say.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

The 2020 covid team was just as good imo 

I grit my teeth with DU fans going into the fact they have 9 National Championships to our 8. 

I want to say we could have nine if not for Covid. Possibly 10 if Michigan wasn’t such a batch of cheating $)&&))

I hope for nine this year with this team but pucks make odd bounces.  Still hoping though. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Goon said:

I don't believe that is true. Ludvig Persson is one of the top goalies in the conference. 

chrome-capture-2023-11-2 (1).png

We looking to win the national tournament.

Not the conference.

The team is 9th in the country in scoring.

12th in save percentage.

Maybe I should have said more *defense than goaltending*.

A "weakness" on a "strong team" is usually still strong.