SiouxSports.com Forum

The Rest of the NCHC 2023-24

Kevin G

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Looks like Spicer hopped on with Youngstown. Sounds like his deal was one particular incident…not necessarily flunking all his classes.

Will he remain a Bulldog next season?  I guess I would think so.  Good deal for him to not forfeit his NCAA eligibility while being able to practice and play games at an elite level.  

1 hour ago, Clark17 said:

Will he remain a Bulldog next season?  I guess I would think so.  Good deal for him to not forfeit his NCAA eligibility while being able to practice and play games at an elite level.  

He’ll be back with a school next season. I’ve always heard good things about him.

5 hours ago, Tbone said:

Huh, maybe initially he should have just stayed for another year of juniors :cool:

Well tbf.... hindsight is 20/20.... and if I recall my own foibles in the 18-23 yr old range probably 20/10.

Not gunna bag on the kid or  do any woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Just hope he learns and develops as a person and has a successful hockey career, if he so chooses.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Clark17 said:

If he couldn't wait the first time around, will he do so now.  Time will tell, but hopefully he learned that there is no reason to be in such a big hurry for someone who has to develop anyway. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Spicer had the last laugh, until now.
Does Bubs get the last laugh or do we hold off on that until fall. 

I don't think either one is gloating.  I think best scenario for both of them would have been that he was actually ready a year ago to go to UND, but unfortunately they didn't see eye to eye on that. 

12 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Well tbf.... hindsight is 20/20.... and if I recall my own foibles in the 18-23 yr old range probably 20/10.

Not gunna bag on the kid or  do any woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Just hope he learns and develops as a person and has a successful hockey career, if he so chooses.

I won't "bag" on him.

But this is an example of the grass not always being greener somewhere else.

I also think he has gotten some bad advice from people.

Best wishes to him, whatever he decides to do.

30 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Same.  Also, college just isn't for everyone. 

When I was at UND, I worked in small groups with many of the hockey players and nearly all were above average students, imo.  There was only one that I remember who didn't really do anything and he ended up transferring to ASU and he sat a year... guessing he may have transferred due to grades (I think he also left ASU early by signing an ECHL deal).  Another finished his part of our group project while on the road playing in the AHL playoffs!  Can't say for certain I would have done that.. A lot of these guys don't get the credit they deserve when it comes to academics, imo. 

Top end guys who aren't great in the classroom and/or aren't cut out for four-year colleges should think about going Major Junior. It just doesn't work out for either the athlete or the school.

• Upvote 1

I am questioning where the coaches were?  Are they not monitoring and keeping a pulse of their student-athlete's academic performance?  I know it was mentioned that this may have been related to a single event instead of actual grades, so it may not be relevant in this case.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

When I was at UND, I worked in small groups with many of the hockey players and nearly all were above average students, imo.  There was only one that I remember who didn't really do anything and he ended up transferring to ASU and he sat a year... guessing he may have transferred due to grades (I think he also left ASU early by signing an ECHL deal).  Another finished his part of our group project while on the road playing in the AHL playoffs!  Can't say for certain I would have done that.. A lot of these guys don't get the credit they deserve when it comes to academics, imo. 

So... Wade Murphy?

9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I remember people used to say "dumb Canadians" back in the day. In talking with a few guys over the years from U.S. and Canada the thing I heard most was that Canadian High School was quite a bit harder than most American High Schools and the Canadians usually had an easier time adjusting to college coursework.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

I remmeber people used to say "dumb Canadians" back in the day. In talking with a few guys over the years from U.S. and Canada the thing I heard most was that Canadian High School was quite a bit harder than most American High Schools and the Canadians usually had an easier time adjusting to college coursework.

Good answer, from a Canadian that went to UND and enjoyed every minute of the experience.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

I remmeber people used to say "dumb Canadians" back in the day. In talking with a few guys over the years from U.S. and Canada the thing I heard most was that Canadian High School was quite a bit harder than most American High Schools and the Canadians usually had an easier time adjusting to college coursework.

15 minutes ago, 70'sguy said:

Good answer, from a Canadian that went to UND and enjoyed every minute of the experience.

Second those emotions.   The Canadian hockey players, when I went to school, were all (almost all?) the first in their family to attend university, and had enormous support from family back home to make the most of that opportunity.   And their coaches were first in their families to get degrees too, as I recall.    

I agree that "college isn't for everyone".  Glad major junior is there as a good choice for many.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

If I'm not mistaken (feel free to check), every team in the NCHC has won 10 conference games in a season at least once--except for Colorado College. (Yes Miami achieved the feat in 2014-15 with 14 conference wins).

CC currently has nine conference wins and will almost certainly join the 10-Conference-Win club soon. So pre-congratulations to the Tigers.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

If I'm not mistaken (feel free to check), every team in the NCHC has won 10 conference games in a season at least once--except for Colorado College. (Yes Miami achieved the feat in 2014-15 with 14 conference wins).

CC currently has nine conference wins and will almost certainly join the 10-Conference-Win club soon. So pre-congratulations to the Tigers.

CC in a battle - maybe an epic battle - for home ice also.  Fun.

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2024 at 7:03 PM, Kevin G said:

And...CC has now won at least 10 conference games for the first time in the NCHC era.

• 2013-14: 6
  • 2014-15: 2
  • 2015-16: 4
  • 2016-17: 4
  • 2017-18: 8
  • 2018-19: 9
  • 2019-20: 4
  • 2020-21: 6
  • 2021-22: 6
  • 2022-23: 8
  • 2023-24: 10 and counting

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

And...CC has now won at least 10 conference games for the first time in the NCHC era.

• 2013-14: 6
  • 2014-15: 2
  • 2015-16: 4
  • 2016-17: 4
  • 2017-18: 8
  • 2018-19: 9
  • 2019-20: 4
  • 2020-21: 6
  • 2021-22: 6
  • 2022-23: 8
  • 2023-24: 10 and counting

That program has been down for a long time. It's good to see them doing better.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, RedFrog said:

Has each Penrose cup champ been a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament?

No. In the first year of the NCHC, when St Cloud won it, they were not a 1 seed. They ended up losing in the regional final to Minnesota, who was the 1 seed in that regional. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/28/2023 at 12:42 PM, nodak651 said:

Nice post.

When I attended UND it was the opposite, at least the classes I was in.  I will say that Jake Brandt for the celebrity that he was was always at class, and seemed to do well.