SiouxSports.com Forum

The Rest of the NCHC 2023-24

Kevin G

27 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I kind of wonder if he will go back to juniors for the rest of the year or if the team just has him keep practicing and getting the grades back up. Will Duluth bring in Zam Plante now if he can get signed up for classes quickly?

It would be better to prioritize his development and success in future years than to try to save what looks like a lost cause this year.

Looks like C Spicer is academically ineligible the second half of the year. No idea how you get yourself in that type of situation. There has to be more to the story. WHL id guess.

Flunking out of UMD, especially as a hockey player, you’d almost have to try to flunk out. Impressive really. :)

• Upvote 1

Being he is playing top line minutes, he shouldn’t have to worry about academics too.  No doubt he is being told he is good enough for the next level, so schooling isn’t a priority. Hope those that have been advising him are happy how they screwed up his development.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Clark17 said:

I guess I sorta get it (major junior) as school isn't for everyone but I think WHL, OHL, QMJHL are continually losing ground developmentally to NCAA.  For example, I would have liked to have seen Minot's Shoenborn play D1 instead of going to WHL.  He found himself in hockey purgatory after juniors where as Morelli is making a real run, signed an NHL contract with a tough squad to crack but is an AHL regular and hopefully gets the call. 

There's a kid playing for Sioux City who was offered a full ride at Penn State and chose to play in the OHL for Erie.  He was on the U-17 NDTP.  He would have been an over-ager this season for them and he was released.  Got picked up in USHL but what's his path now? 

Had Cole Smith played major junior I don't believe he would have developed into an NHLer.  He might not have been on anyone's radar which was good in his case hence the MJHL.  He came into NCAA as a below average skater and left as an NHLer.  I think it's a great story and example of what NCAA can do developmentally.

Kanes, Toews, Bedards, Oshies etc... doesn't matter what path they take.  Duncan Keith left Michigan State to play in the WHL as well but he's a world class defenseman either way.   

Lot of bad advice out there in my opinion.           

Major Junior is still a good route, you get 4 year of schooling covered when you’re done with hockey. But how many actually go back? Tough to finish that much schooling.

NCAA path is the much better path. For both blue chips and everyone else.

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Looks like C Spicer is academically ineligible the second half of the year. No idea how you get yourself in that type of situation. There has to be more to the story. WHL id guess.

Flunking out of UMD, especially as a hockey player, you’d almost have to try to flunk out. Impressive really. :)

:crazy:

Geez, that is just crazy.

9 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Majoring in Communications. No additional comments necessary.

That explains it, it's a very difficult educational path that doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves for the rigorous academic standards and course workload of other areas of study that are oftentimes given an overweighted esteem of difficulty like engineering or mathmatics...

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

That explains it, it's a very difficult educational path that doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves for the rigorous academic standards and course workload of other areas of study that are oftentimes given an overweighted esteem of difficulty like engineering or mathmatics...

Clearly.

19 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Majoring in Communications. No additional comments necessary.

Communications, Hospitality Management, Recreation Sports.....plenty of those degrees paths can be found on any big times college sports rosters.  

This was the main risk of bringing him in early.  The fact he was so young and maybe/maybe not the most disciplined student (which the public wouldn't know).  Skill wise I don't think bringing him in early was an issue.  He can play.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Communications, Hospitality Management, Recreation Sports.....plenty of those degrees paths can be found on any big times college sports rosters.  

This was the main risk of bringing him in early.  The fact he was so young and maybe/maybe not the most disciplined student (which the public wouldn't know).  Skill wise I don't think bringing him in early was an issue.  He can play.  

For many majors in all colleges, the only reason one would become academically ineligible is strictly effort. Frustrating for Duluth. 

• Upvote 2

Communications at a (tier 3?) college is definitely not a difficult row to hoe.  At any rate, he is a freshman, so he is taking 100-level courses.  It’s not the degree or the school; it’s him.   That said, he wouldn’t be the first young person who floundered out of the gate, including many who successfully turned things around after maturing a little.   

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, burd said:

Communications at a (tier 3?) college is definitely not a difficult row to hoe.  At any rate, he is a freshman, so he is taking 100-level courses.  It’s not the degree or the school; it’s him.   That said, he wouldn’t be the first young person who floundered out of the gate, including many who successfully turned things around after maturing a little.   

He is a sophomore, but yeah still would be relatively easy coursework. 

• Upvote 2

An adult I knew growing up was a former D1 basketball player at a "Hidden Ivy" known more for academics than athletics. Even in the 70's it was clear sports comes first for student-athletes; he was told to attend every class and sit in the front row, and he'd never get less than a C. It's a different world now, but it's hard to imagine that rule of thumb no longer applying.