SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU @ The UND 10/14/2023

SiouxFan100

4 hours ago, Tangolou said:

When we played SDSU, Nick Saban could have been our coach and the result would have been the same. We need NDSU to cough up the ball a couple times to have a chance. Otherwise they will man handle us up front and Miller will run for 150. It is always about the line of scrimmage.

I hope this comment was a massive exaggeration.  You are basically stating that coaching doesn't matter and that Bubba is no different than Saban.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I hope this comment was a massive exaggeration.  You are basically stating that coaching doesn't matter and that Bubba is no different than Saban.

Coaching matters, but so do the players you recruit. If the players you recruit aren’t good enough then it doesn’t matter how good the coach is. 

43 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Strategy obviously matters, but so does execution on the players part. Plenty of blame (and credit to go around)
Bad snaps in Boise threw off the whole offense. That wasn't an issue at all previously this year and hasn't been since.
Untimely turnovers turned the game quickly. Need to play clean.

Big game tomorrow, players and coaches need to stay in the moment and execute to their potential.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Wow, that's what you got out of that? To clarify, its my opinion that we have failed to win "Big Games" because our players aren't as good as the top competition in this division. I believe we need a better roster, which of course is on the coaches. My point was that we didn't get crushed by SDSU because we didn't line up correctly or called the wrong plays. It was because they destroyed us at the line of scrimmage with bigger, stronger and faster players. 

24 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Coaching matters, but so do the players you recruit. If the players you recruit aren’t good enough then it doesn’t matter how good the coach is. 

What makes a player/ recruit good? What makes a player / recruit bad? A lot goes in to this, including how the players develop after you get their commitment. Guys like Nick Saban recruit damn good players but they also develop the hell out of them. 

UND could recruit AND develop their players better, and that falls on coaching. Talk about execution, what do you think gets the good teams to consistently execute and the bad teams to not?

ok, ok, I digress. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

Wow, that's what you got out of that? To clarify, its my opinion that we have failed to win "Big Games" because our players aren't as good as the top competition in this division. I believe we need a better roster, which of course is on the coaches. My point was that we didn't get crushed by SDSU because we didn't line up correctly or called the wrong plays. It was because they destroyed us at the line of scrimmage with bigger, stronger and faster players. 

I don't disagree entirely, but a coaches job is to make the sum of the parts greater than the individuals.  If Saban was the coach of the Hawks since June 1, the Hawks would have beaten SDSU, especially coming out of a bye week.  Within reason, coaching is far more important in football than the players...again within reason.

I suppose next you will tell me that USD beat NDSU because they now have better players then the BISON...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

What makes a player/ recruit good? What makes a player / recruit bad? A lot goes in to this, including how the players develop after you get their commitment. Guys like Nick Saban recruit damn good players but they also develop the hell out of them. 

UND could recruit AND develop their players better, and that falls on coaching. Talk about execution, what do you think gets the good teams to consistently execute and the bad teams to not?

ok, ok, I digress. 

Huge BINGO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

My point was that we didn't get crushed by SDSU because we didn't line up correctly or called the wrong plays. It was because they destroyed us at the line of scrimmage with bigger, stronger and faster players. 

I don’t agree. South Dakota State is not Alabama or Georgia. How many NFL players you think SDSU has? You’re exaggerating SDSU’s ability a bit in order to justify UND’s road woes. Coaching is not just strategy in terms of play calling; it’s adjustments in tough moments and preparing the players (physically AND mentally) to execute at the highest level by conditioning them to be at their best when their best is required.  

• Upvote 2

There's a sense of urgency for both teams in this one:

1 - NDSU loses and they'll be on the road at some point in the playoffs (barring upsets)

2 - UND loses and not only is the entire fanbase crushed yet again, but they will have a tough road to even make the playoffs (my opinion).

Look...if we lose and go to 3-3, we'll have tough road games with UNI (who will likely be fighting for their playoff lives like we will be) and USD (who is much improved).  We flat out suck in Vermillion recently...and who's to say it'll go better at UNI.  Lose them both and you are out.  Lose 1 and you are on the bubble...and whichever game we win will be our only quality win.  That's not a good spot to be in.  Also, we get ISU(red) at home...they're also 3-2...their schedule is weaker...but they could also get to 7-8 wins, so beating us will be a must for them.

Bottom line...we need to win this game...badly!  I'm not confident that we will...at all...but I sure as hell hope I'm wrong!

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

ok, ok, I digress. 

Never said that this isn’t on coaching, it obviously is. The one I quoted was more specific to the SDSU game, not on the big picture. I think everyone on here would agree that they could do a better job developing players once they get here. I think it’s fair to say that two things can be true: 

1. SDSU had better players overall  at every position group and we got manhandled.

2. Coaching was lackluster and they didn’t seem prepared.

Just now, Tangolou said:

It's obvious that I need a attitude adjustment. I've got a bad case of "glass half empty" going on. Here's to my favorite team wearing my favorite helmets, providing that boost! For the love of God, GET IT DONE!

FINALLY you figured it out!

40 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Flying up to Fargo tonight and then heading up to GF Saturday morning. I'll probably buy some beverages before leaving Fargo, but was wondering if there is beer for sale in the tailgating area and/or food? 

Yeah, there is beer and food available, but best to bring your own supply. This is one game where the amount of tailgaters will likely out supply the vendors. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Flying up to Fargo tonight and then heading up to GF Saturday morning. I'll probably buy some beverages before leaving Fargo, but was wondering if there is beer for sale in the tailgating area and/or food? 

Yes there is both beer and food for sale in tailgate village.  

• Upvote 1