SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I'm not saying it is a bad thing, but back in January who would have guessed.....everyone was wondering.....will it be Jerry or Trey. New OC didn't recruit any of them so his mind was as wide open as it could be. Romfo has been nothing but a winner, actually kind of excited about the underdog.  If he has a strong enough arm and is accurate enough.....and with his running capability.....could be fun to watch. 

Hopefully it's not a sign of the OC thinking our OL is too young and inexperienced that the QB will be running for his life so he thinks Romfo is the better option. 

very well put.....I agree with since fruchte didn't recruit any of these guys it really was totally wide open for everyone on offense especially QB.....BUT you would think an absolute freak like deng would be somewhere on there for a young QB like romfo to kinda lean on to where even a  bad throw gets gobbled up like the athletic freak that he is....

is Feeney the new mollberg....just can't put it all together to make it easy for the coaches to say...."it's your team young man?"

• Upvote 2

Wow, just popped in and saw the Romfo news. Very intriguing!

I've been very hopeful towards Jerry, but assumed Feeney would secure the spot because of his time at UND. I will say I love that the staff isn't just going status quo with this. You always hear coaches say stuff like it is an "open competition", but clearly that was the case here. Congrats to Simon stepping the F up and earning his shot ... now the real battle begins, keeping it! I hope like hell he can step in and be a dude, surprise some people and get some wins. Sounds like a kid who just has the confidence to do what is needed.

I'm sure Trey and Jerry will be battling for their time and hopefully we still get to see some of them this year (because of garbage time, not because of injury). I was listening to the podcast this weekend and thinking about how great it would be if we could be the USD of last year. A team that didn't come in with any major expectations, but really burst on the scene with some surprise playmaker and some solid wins. You never know what will happen with college football, so we will see, but as a fan base, we are definitely overdue for something to be happy and excited about. Would be great to see a surprise in Ames (even if it isn't a W) and hopefully a really good showing against Montana. Lets F-ing Go!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

My uneducated, initial 2-deep thoughts.

Excited

• Tackle - Thaden had a lot of steam after Spring camp, the fact that Becher (6'6" - 310) won the spot, bodes well. Thaden (6-7" - 285) and Teeter (6'6" -300) backing up, seems like a potential position of strength. Teeter has collegiate experience. Anderson returning starter.
  • D-End - IMO, last year, low ceiling / experienced group. Teiken, who was one of the highest ranked recruits, right on schedule starting as a sophomore. Mohr has been a talker since Spring ball. Like those two transfers are backing up. Excited as well for Vig / Schultz. Young, talented group. 
  • CB - Deep talented group. Per Tom Miller, best unit on the team

Disappointed

• OLB - Pending... the fact that Boecker is still in competition for a starting spot is worrisome. Listening to Tom Miller, it seems like Rucker might be the best Defensive player (or at least highest ceiling). My hope was that you'd see Rucker and Navratil start with the two transfers backing up. Hoping Boecker has improved, but this positional group was a nightmare last year. Besides Rucker (obviously) and Navratil, wanted them to essentially start over with anyone else that played significantly.

Two other things I'll be watching closely (1) Center position - really hope Buxa wins. Based on recent history, they've had pretty good luck with young Centers. (2) Davis injury. Need him healthy for depth purposes at a critical position

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Biggest shocker was true fr OG Isaac Cariveau on the two deep. Though I’m sure @iramurphy had the scouting report on the young hoss and is less surprised.

In a portal/NIL world, play 'em while ya got 'em. 

• Upvote 2

So my Ferris Bueller 31 Flavors inside information is that Romfo is better at making plays with his legs/running ability. That separated him from Trey who is the better passer. To me that is code for another season of check downs, ROPs and wait for it.......bubble screens.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So my Ferris Bueller 31 Flavors inside information is that Romfo is better at making plays with his legs/running ability. That separated him from Trey who is the better passer. To me that is code for another season of check downs, ROPs and wait for it.......bubble screens.

That would probably work if we had any kind of defense at all, but Bubba's supposed calling card had been absolutely horrible, yet he plays to it like they are the Steel Curtain. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Miss the Braden Hanson days of just chucking it all over the field. Least it was entertaining. 

Missing a 5-6 season is something. Maybe if he never got hurt it would have been different. The Montana game was certainly fun but that’s about it. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Missing a 5-6 season is something. Maybe if he never got hurt it would have been different. The Montana game was certainly fun but that’s about it. 

You're right.....a 0.549 winning % the last decade puts it all in perspective.  My bad.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AJS said:

My uneducated, initial 2-deep thoughts.

Excited

• Tackle - Thaden had a lot of steam after Spring camp, the fact that Becher (6'6" - 310) won the spot, bodes well. Thaden (6-7" - 285) and Teeter (6'6" -300) backing up, seems like a potential position of strength. Teeter has collegiate experience. Anderson returning starter.
  • D-End - IMO, last year, low ceiling / experienced group. Teiken, who was one of the highest ranked recruits, right on schedule starting as a sophomore. Mohr has been a talker since Spring ball. Like those two transfers are backing up. Excited as well for Vig / Schultz. Young, talented group. 
  • CB - Deep talented group. Per Tom Miller, best unit on the team

Disappointed

• OLB - Pending... the fact that Boecker is still in competition for a starting spot is worrisome. Listening to Tom Miller, it seems like Rucker might be the best Defensive player (or at least highest ceiling). My hope was that you'd see Rucker and Navratil start with the two transfers backing up. Hoping Boecker has improved, but this positional group was a nightmare last year. Besides Rucker (obviously) and Navratil, wanted them to essentially start over with anyone else that played significantly.

Two other things I'll be watching closely (1) Center position - really hope Buxa wins. Based on recent history, they've had pretty good luck with young Centers. (2) Davis injury. Need him healthy for depth purposes at a critical position

On Defense, for their respective positions, the Corners have legit FCS size.  All other positions are basically D2.  I think this defense is going to get ran over all year long, like right down our throat.  Sucks to see how light we are at the Ends and LBs.

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

On Defense, for their respective positions, the Corners have legit FCS size.  All other positions are basically D2.  I think this defense is going to get ran over all year long, like right down our throat.  Sucks to see how light we are at the Ends and LBs.

Remember when we had Cieslak at End at 280 and Ratelle at Inside backer at 250? 

• Upvote 1

even when we had smaller ends they were distruptive in the past

zach babbington johnston wasn't the hugest guy but he could turn that corner and makes plays...

can will ratelle get a covid year and play in the middle this year....please!!!!!

55 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Miss the Braden Hanson days of just chucking it all over the field. Least it was entertaining. 

Muss had some dudes that could score the football.  And at the same point some dudes that couldn't tackle or cover people.  

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

at this point it trey had gone to ndac in year one would he be starting ahead of mattress boy at the fargo juco

No one knows’ we haven’t seen any of UND QBs take meaningful snaps

will be interesting to see how the first few snaps go at Iowa state.

hope there aren’t a bunch of 3 and outs.  Will Romfo have a short leash?  I would think coaches would want to see how the other QBs do in game action 

• Upvote 1

Not saying Fruechte is going to put Romfo’s health on the line but I would guess they won’t be as concerned about him getting hurt as they maybe were with Tommy the past few years. That’s simply due to Trey and Jerry being closer to ready. I guess that’s assuming that Romfo just won the job and not that Trey and Jerry lost it. 

2 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

Remember when we had Cieslak at End at 280 and Ratelle at Inside backer at 250? 

The fact the DE and LBs are the same size concerns me for the DE's.

• Upvote 1