SiouxSports.com Forum

ASU to NCHC

crb1

46 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I don't understand the pull of St. Thomas. They aren't competitive enough to play in the NCHC right now. Minnesota State is far more compelling amongst the current teams available.

Private school in the Twin Cities with a ton of money with a new arena on the way. Division I in all sports. 

From what I’ve been told there has been no discussion about adding St Thomas to the NCHC. I be surprised if that comes up in the future. Sounds like the leagues is content with remaining at nine teams. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, rochsioux said:

St. Thomas is probably a better financial fit in the long term.  I would be more than OK with adding Mankato if they would kick out St. Cloud.  Not a fan of the schools admin and their hostile attitude to the Fighting Sioux nickname. 

We needed to use a NCHC invite to leverage filling the Summit. Summit should be the top priority right now until that conference is stable. Giving away NCHC invites was a wrong move.

• Downvote 1

On 7/16/2023 at 8:17 PM, Rebel_Sioux said:

I don't understand the pull of St. Thomas. They aren't competitive enough to play in the NCHC right now. Minnesota State is far more compelling amongst the current teams available.

How is Minnesota State more compelling? They just lost their head coach and half their team, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to be a bottom tier team for a long while.

same reason why competitively ndac should/could be FBS for football but........

location location location

st paul>mankato

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

How is Minnesota State more compelling? They just lost their head coach and half their team, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to be a bottom tier team for a long while.

I wouldn't count MSU out. They got a good coach hired and some talent inbound from the portal. 

13 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I'm just hoping that we can beat them in our series with them in late October.  :)

There is that whole education thing, and they are a good school

I don't understand the pull of St. Thomas. 

If you think of UST as another MIAC school, you won't understand. 

Best thing that happened to UST is the MIAC kicked them out for being ... too good and too rich. UST has long been a sleeping giant. It woke them up. 

UST's comparable in the NCHC is ... Denver (about 10k students; over $650M endowment). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you think of UST as another MIAC school, you won't understand. 

Best thing that happened to UST is the MIAC kicked them out for being ... too good and too rich. UST has long been a sleeping giant. It woke them up. 

UST's comparable in the NCHC is ... Denver (about 10k students; over $650M endowment). 

Seeing a former MIAC school get a building like theirs funded in their jump to D-I should be enough to convince naysayers of their clout. I would love to see them in the NCHC one day, frankly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Seeing a former MIAC school get a building like theirs funded in their jump to D-I should be enough to convince naysayers of their clout. I would love to see them in the NCHC one day, frankly.

With the addition of ASU, I believe we will see them in the conference sooner than later.

On 7/16/2023 at 10:19 PM, Goon said:

From what I’ve been told there has been no discussion about adding St Thomas to the NCHC. I be surprised if that comes up in the future. Sounds like the leagues is content with remaining at nine teams. 

For now.

We still don't know the long term status of single sport conferences.  They may not be viable going forward.  The current moratorium on new single sport conferences was pushed back until January of 2025.  There a a ton of directions college hockey can go, and there will be a ton of movement once we know what the structure of the NCAA looks like.  This moratorium on single sport conferences is part of the reason Atlantic Hockey never split, its why the D2 NE10 schools haven't made any moves yet,  and it's why the independent schools haven't done anything.  Utica is waiting to move up to D2 until they have a home for hockey, but since Atlantic Hockey hasn't given them a home, they now need to wait until 2025 until they can officially join a hockey conference.  Binghampton is starting a program, and should probably be up and going for 2025 as well.

I see Miami looking East, but it might take a couple years.  I would think Sacred Heart and RIT would like better competetition, given their recent investments, and RIT can finally offer scholarships, by the way.   IMO, a new CCHA-level conference will be formed and it will feature some of these schools, along with maybe BGSU and the schools in western Pennsylvania.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 10:17 PM, rochsioux said:

St. Thomas is probably a better financial fit in the long term.  I would be more than OK with adding Mankato if they would kick out St. Cloud.  Not a fan of the schools admin and their hostile attitude to the Fighting Sioux nickname. 

“Hey, St Cloud, we’re asking you to leave the conference because you didn’t like our nickname from 10+ years ago…”

Sorry, if we’re kicking out schools based on their politics, we’d better get rid of CC and Denver too while we’re at it, and probably Duluth too.  

• Upvote 1