SiouxSports.com Forum

ASU to NCHC

crb1

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

More likely way NCHC returns to eight teams:

- ASU leaves (assumedly for B1G)
or
- MnSCU shuts down SCSU (declining enrollment, budget issues)

I think Miami leaves for travel reasons before St. Cloud shuts down.  But I could see a scenario where St. Cloud closes, we lose the 2 eastern teams and pick up Lindenwood and St. Thomas.  Boom, Summit hockey and probably football as well.  That would definitely add stability for the league.  Then add a further academic alliance with the Big Sky and I'd be happy.  FBS is a fool's errand at this point, not a smart investment at all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

More likely way NCHC returns to eight teams:

- ASU leaves (assumedly for B1G)
or
- MnSCU shuts down SCSU (declining enrollment, budget issues)

if a state shuts down a college or uni..who techinically owns the land and buildings and what the hell would st cloud or minnesota do with that much land and buildings...the upkeep would be crazy expensive especially if they sat empty for a long long time.

6 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I think Miami leaves for travel reasons before St. Cloud shuts down.  But I could see a scenario where St. Cloud closes, we lose the 2 eastern teams and pick up Lindenwood and St. Thomas.  Boom, Summit hockey and probably football as well.  That would definitely add stability for the league.  Then add a further academic alliance with the Big Sky and I'd be happy.  FBS is a fool's errand at this point, not a smart investment at all.

What about Lindenwood and Bemidji State.  

5 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Gotta assume that Augustana is going to be in the Summit soon. Why else would they have added hockey but to appease the hockey schools in the conference?

They added hockey because it was the only option they had.  They didn't get a D1 invite when they were pushing for it.  Augie having hockey won't help their prospects for a Summit offer at all.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

They didn't get a D1 invite when they were pushing for it.  Augie having hockey won't help their prospects for a Summit offer at all.

SDSU and USD were hard against Augie as a full DI in the Summit. It would slice away a notable share of the Sioux Falls market. 

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

SDSU and USD were hard against Augie as a full DI in the Summit. It would slice away a notable share of the Sioux Falls market. 

I so disagree with that statement.  Having Augie in the picture really pulls the Sioux Falls market into the SL.  You would see increased engagement from USD and SDSU alum who live in Sioux Falls.  Plus, it would be two more sellouts for both schools and better attendance at the conference tournament.  I hope the success of Augie Hockey is a springboard to a move DI for them.

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if a state shuts down a college or uni..who techinically owns the land and buildings and what the hell would st cloud or minnesota do with that much land and buildings...the upkeep would be crazy expensive especially if they sat empty for a long long time.

Instant refugee resettlement centers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

SDSU and USD didn't want the competition in Sioux Falls, right or wrong. 

Agreed.  How many fans would stop driving to USD or SDSU  and instead wait to attend games when Augi is the host?  Would be kind of a revenue leach in a way. 

14 hours ago, Esoteric said:

What about Lindenwood and Bemidji State.  

14 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Gotta assume that Augustana is going to be in the Summit soon. Why else would they have added hockey but to appease the hockey schools in the conference?

So the “National” Collegiate Hockey Conference, which so desperately wanted to be spread across the country, now seeks to become more “regional” with Bemidji State, St. Thomas, Augustana, etc.?  

Hell, why don’t we just grab Mankato and Michigan Tech and put the whole WCHA band (minus Wisconsin and Minnesota obviously) back together again while we’re at it? 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So the “National” Collegiate Hockey Conference, which so desperately wanted to be spread across the country, now seeks to become more “regional” with Bemidji State, St. Thomas, Augustana, etc.?  

Hell, why don’t we just grab Mankato and Michigan Tech and put the whole WCHA band (minus Wisconsin and Minnesota obviously) back together again while we’re at it? 

I thought that it was about Hockey schools that wanted to compete against the Big 10 and not worry about cost containment schools.  Look at the facilities being built at Augie/St. Thomas.  They aren't looking for second place.  They are going to come in ready to compete and those arenas will be sold out with great crowds.

Then look at the trends at SCSU..  school is in decline programs being cut and sports programs have already been cut.  Which schools are growing and which one isn't?  It is not about being a regional conference.  It is about have the best schools to compete with the Big 10.  I think you are badly misreading the cards on the table.

27 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I thought that it was about Hockey schools that wanted to compete against the Big 10 and not worry about cost containment schools.  Look at the facilities being built at Augie/St. Thomas.  They aren't looking for second place.  They are going to come in ready to compete and those arenas will be sold out with great crowds.

Then look at the trends at SCSU..  school is in decline programs being cut and sports programs have already been cut.  Which schools are growing and which one isn't?  It is not about being a regional conference.  It is about have the best schools to compete with the Big 10.  I think you are badly misreading the cards on the table.

We both know that SCSU was admitted for two reasons:

#1.  Because Notre Dame said, “no thanks”

and

#2.  A nice thank you to SCSU “consultant” Gino Gasparini 

Are you suggesting that SCSU was a terrible selection a decade ago?  That’s some pretty impressive hindsight.

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Agreed.  How many fans would stop driving to USD or SDSU  and instead wait to attend games when Augi is the host?  Would be kind of a revenue leach in a way. 

I still disagree, SDSU/Augie, USD/Augie and USD/SDU were big rivalry games back in the NCC.  Some of the largest crowds were for Augie games at both USD and SDSU.  That is like saying UND fans aren't going to drive to Fargo for the NDSU game or viscera.

-  It would increase revenue by adding another rival to the schedule.

-  It would increase attendance at the Conference Tournament.

-  It would place a conference school in the Sioux Falls market.  Larger market presence increases more corporate dollars for everyone.  Go look at the message board both fanbases complain about the lack of media coverage.  Well, they are busy covering the two local NSIC schools.  Put, Augie in NCHC or SL.  You would see more dollars for DI athletic across the board in South Dakota.  USD and SDSU have only hit a portion of the potential market in SF.  SF still has minor league basketball, hockey, minor league baseball and minor league indoor football.  Those are all sports entertain dollars not going to USD or SDSU.  When you see those teams start to leave.  It will mean DI sports is starting penetrate the Sioux Falls market.  Until then, they have some work to do.

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

We both know that SCSU was admitted for two reasons:

#1.  Because Notre Dame said, “no thanks”

and

#2.  A nice thank you to SCSU “consultant” Gino Gasparini 

Are you suggesting that SCSU was a terrible selection a decade ago?  That’s some pretty impressive hindsight.

No hindsight here..  I have been against SCSU for a long time.  I thought it was a mistake then and I still do now.  The conference made a bad decision because they thought that they had to..  Again, huge fan of the NCHC and I believe that it has worked out better than anyone thought.  But, SCSU was a mistake and IMO Gino did what was best for Gino, but he failed the NCHC.

As you noted in your post, there was no compelling reason to add SCSU.

11 minutes ago, FSSD said:

No hindsight here..  I have been against SCSU for a long time.  I thought it was a mistake then and I still do now.  The conference made a bad decision because they thought that they had to..  Again, huge fan of the NCHC and I believe that it has worked out better than anyone thought.  But, SCSU was a mistake and IMO Gino did what was best for Gino, but he failed the NCHC.

As you noted in your post, there was no compelling reason to add SCSU.

Notre Dame would have been a great choice.  Tossing them out of the equation, who would have been your pick in place of SCSU?

Well, let's see:  SCSU, Mankato, Bowling Green, Michigan Tech, Air Force (see if they wanted to invest more in the program) or nothing.  I would have looked at nothing for a short period of time.  After, the success of the Penn State startup (it started the problem) and a number of other rumor schools out there...  Waiting would have been the best option.  See which schools are going to step up.  It's not like those schools would not be available for scheduling.  And I fully acknowledge that 7 is not ideal but to have the NCHC pound more schools in nonconference would have also been a benefit in the pairwise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

This^

Would rather see the following added if and when there comes a time to add teams. In no order.

Bowling Green

Air Force

Western team that adds hockey(Arizona, UNLV)

St. Thomas

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FSSD said:

Well, let's see:  SCSU, Mankato, Bowling Green, Michigan Tech, Air Force (see if they wanted to invest more in the program) or nothing.  I would have looked at nothing for a short period of time.  After, the success of the Penn State startup (it started the problem) and a number of other rumor schools out there...  Waiting would have been the best option.  See which schools are going to step up.  It's not like those schools would not be available for scheduling.  And I fully acknowledge that 7 is not ideal but to have the NCHC pound more schools in nonconference would have also been a benefit in the pairwise.

I agree with you on Michigan Tech but sadly, they were among the non-like-minded schools that UND wanted to get rid of.  Bowling Green being in would have greatly helped out Miami.  I think Air Force and Mankato would have been appealing candidates as well. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I agree with you on Michigan Tech but sadly, they were among the non-like-minded schools that UND wanted to get rid of.  Bowling Green being in would have greatly helped out Miami.  I think Air Force and Mankato would have been appealing candidates as well. 

Can we trade Clown College for Mankato, straight up?

• Upvote 2