SiouxSports.com Forum

ASU to NCHC

crb1

My family has a long history of having college grads from UND and ASU, I like the addition, I am curious how this pod process will work though. We will end up playing UMD and SCSU 4 times a year.

• Upvote 1

Although the NCHC is adding a ninth team, the Conference will continue to use a 24-game NCHC schedule for each team in 2024-25, as it has done each of its first 10 seasons. However, a new three-year rotation and scheduling model will be implemented beginning with the 2024-25 season.

The new schedule model and rotation consists of three, three-team pods based on geography with teams guaranteed to play home and away series against the other two teams in their pod every season (eight games). The three-team pods are: Arizona State, Colorado College and Denver; Minnesota Duluth, North Dakota and St. Cloud State; and Miami, Omaha and Western Michigan.

The remaining 16 conference games will be played against the six 'non-pod' teams, with four opponents only being played in one series (eight games), home or away, and two 'non-pod' opponents being played in both home and away series (eight games). The 'non-pod' teams that are played either once or twice in a series will rotate over three seasons. The complete 2024-25 schedule will be released next spring.

The NCHC's postseason format with nine teams for the 2024-25 season and beyond is still being evaluated and will be finalized and announced in the coming months.

10 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The best part is breaking up with Omaha as a preferred opponent. The three team pods with Duluth and Cloud sounds good to me.

This only makes it more critical that UND sweeps teams outside of their pod, as I believe Denver and Western could beat up on their pods, making it hard for UND to win as many conference championships, although Omaha has been tough at times too.   Two teams in our pod have won most of the NCHC conference championships, and the other has done really well on the national level.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Oh ...

Congrats and welcome ASU! 

https://thesundevils.com/news/2023/7/5/mens-ice-hockey-arizona-state-to-join-nchc-starting-in-2024-25-season.aspx 

But be prepared for a decade's worth of junk-punches for that thing in Vegas. 

Best thing to tell them is "Congratulations, you caught one of the big boys on a bad year. Now you have to prove you belong. Every. Year."

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Oh ...

Congrats and welcome ASU! 

https://thesundevils.com/news/2023/7/5/mens-ice-hockey-arizona-state-to-join-nchc-starting-in-2024-25-season.aspx 

But be prepared for a decade's worth of junk-punches for that thing in Vegas. 

HA! So true. It's fine. We'll just sweep them in sunny Arizona. I'm pumped. I see no negatives to this whatsoever.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

This only makes it more critical that UND sweeps teams outside of their pod, as I believe Denver and Western could beat up on their pods, making it hard for UND to win as many conference championships, although Omaha has been tough at times too.   Two teams in our pod have won most of the NCHC conference championships, and the other has done really well on the national level.  

Yeah, DU and WMU could for sure have an "easier" path to the conference title with their pod alignment.

19 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I’d be interested to hear more from the conference as to why not attempt to go for an even number of teams (10) for the conference. I’m also curious how post season format will look like with 9 teams. 

First place team gets a first round bye?

Allegiant flight from Fargo to Mesa....check.  Relatives living 5 minutes from Mesa airport....check.  Relatives with pool/hot tub and putting green in back yard....check.....

It's just a win win for everyone.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yeah, DU and WMU could for sure have an "easier" path to the conference title with their pod alignment.

First place team gets a first round bye?

Ninth left out, or Eight/Nine one-game play-in. Cost wise (time and travel), ninth out makes sense. 

One gets a bye sets up a "Final Five" scenario. Plausible. But coaches don't favor. 

• Upvote 1