SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 National Championship Game: Quinnipiac vs. Minnesota

Kevin G

Just now, Kevin G said:

Whaddya say, next year in St. Paul?

I'd love it but Berry and staff got a lot of work to do to make that happen. Gotta get to work recruiting the portal and for the future bringing in the type of talent Minnesota, Michigan, Denver do and they haven't shown much consistency in doing that. Also have to be willing to adapt his style and I'm not sure he has the willingness to do that.

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Probably, but sometimes teammates decide to stick together to win it all. This is one I’m sure they thought they would win. Next year  FF in St. Paul. Some NIL $$ might make a difference. Also depends on odds of playing in NHL right away. 

This was that year for them.  All their D group that could have left last season all returned.  For sure, if Knies and/or Cooley returned, they'll be a force yet again.  But it was their defense that was so much improved this season because all those guys stuck around. 
Michigan is the younger team, I bet they take the B10 next season.

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Probably, but sometimes teammates decide to stick together to win it all. This is one I’m sure they thought they would win. Next year  FF in St. Paul. Some NIL $$ might make a difference. Also depends on odds of playing in NHL right away. 

If the tourney weren't one and done I could maybe see that. But too much h has to go right to even get these chances.  It's like lightning in a bottle. 

I paused the game at the second intermission to do stories and put my 3 year old daughter to bed. So we’re reading stories and she goes out to the living room to get something and comes back and says, “I paused your game for you, daddy.” I thought nothing of that comment…B1G mistake! (pun intended) 

My wife and I come back out to the living room, and I suspected something happened so I quickly turned the channel so as not to see any spoilers. I then turn on the recording and we pick up where we left off.

Fast forward to the end of regulation and the end of my recording so I turn the channel back over to ESPN2 and BOOM! -I see Quinnipiac celebrating. I totally missed the overtime! 

Full disclosure, I am in no way mad at my kid. In fact, when I saw Q celebrating I laughed out loud and said to my wife, “Well, we don’t have to worry about Minnesota winning in overtime!” 

So can someone here tell me how Q scored because I still don’t know! 

Congrats to the Bobcats. I respected the hell out of them and how hard they played, particularly that third period. Great game. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Agree.  Gophers won’t have this type of team in a long time.  This was their year and they couldn’t get it done.  

Psst take a look at their recruiting classes, we may not like it but they aren't going anywhere. Personally I think the rivalry is more fun when both programs are elite now we have to get back to that level.

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Faber crying not a good look for him. 

Seen plenty of our guys cry after losing.  Would be more embarrassed if he was laughing it off.  When you come back for another year and put it on the line night in and night out, I would hope you would show some emotion.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Godsmack said:

I paused the game at the second intermission to do stories and put my 3 year old daughter to bed. So we’re reading stories and she goes out to the living room to get something and comes back and says, “I paused your game for you, daddy.” I thought nothing of that comment…B1G mistake! (pun intended) 

My wife and I come back out to the living room, and I suspected something happened so I quickly turned the channel so as not to see any spoilers. I then turn on the recording and we pick up where we left off.

Fast forward to the end of regulation and the end of my recording so I turn the channel back over to ESPN2 and BOOM! -I see Quinnipiac celebrating. I totally missed the overtime! 

Full disclosure, I am in no way mad at my kid. In fact, when I saw Q celebrating I laughed out loud and said to my wife, “Well, we don’t have to worry about Minnesota winning in overtime!” 

So can someone here tell me how Q scored because I still don’t know! 

Congrats to the Bobcats. I respected the hell out of them and how hard they played, particularly that third period. Great game. 

You missed all 10sec of OT.  ;) 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SiouxScore said:

Psst take a look at their recruiting classes, we may not like it but they aren't going anywhere. Personally I think the rivalry is more fun when both programs are elite now we have to get back to that level.

For sure.  Their recruiting class in 2 years is ridiculous, with Eiserman.
That said, they won't have a defensive group similar to what they had this year for many, many years.

I couldn't figure out how the Q LW got so open. 

The MN RD 4 stepped up and let the pass get past him forcing 2 to come across and chase the Q center. The MN center 24 realized too late the defensive responsibility change for him and ... game. 

4 letting that pass past him was the beginning of the end. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Gophers won’t have this type of team in a long time.

Wouldn’t necessarily say that. UND was able to rebuild from its 2011 non-championship team and get it done 5 years later. I would expect Minnesota to be able to do the same. 

I hope NIL and the NCAA don’t kill college sports. Professional sports just cannot duplicate the heart and passion on display in college athletics. QU’s celebration, Minny’s devastation is what makes college hockey so freaking compelling. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Minnesota deserves to win the title....what a team.  On the other hand, ours is in absolute shambles with very little hope in the near-term.  Sad...

I was wondering how you'd take that loss..... 

32 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Now Pecknold can take the next seven years off!

The Brad Berry Way!

.....and boy you're going to have a long off-season.

• Upvote 4