SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 National Championship Game: Quinnipiac vs. Minnesota

Kevin G

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Having a successful season does not make it a success. That team had one real goal, and they didn't reach it.

_______ had a successful season, but it was not a success?

Now you're messing with us Olds, stoney.  :D

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No disrespect to Quinnipiac; I picked them to win the tournament. But for some reason, the Goofs got conservative after getting a two-goal lead and it backfired big time. Prevent defense prevents you from winning. It is a fact of life in the NFL and it is also a fact of life in this sport.

Minnesota got conservative or the players for Quinnipiac shut them down? As much as you guys are saying "No disrespect to Quinnipiac" you really are disrespecting them. You are basically saying that the Gophers shouldn't have lost when they were up by two goals and Quinnipiac should've packed it in. I don't care what anyone says about Quinnipiac's strength of schedule or anything, they are a great team (stats back it up) and they consistently played well all year.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

... the Gophers shouldn't have lost when they were up by two goals and Quinnipiac should've packed it in. 

When the Q went down 2, I wrote them off. I posted "Game". 

As I've said, I was wrong.
I underestimated Q.
I forgot this game: On the road, harsh environment, give up 2 to go down one ... five unanswered

Watched it again ...

The Q play in OT was magnificent, but would've been easily prevented if MN4 (LD) had held the blue instead of moving forward and outward opening up a passing lane. I still don't understand what he saw that he moved up. It was like he was playing "1-3-1 hold the red".

That move started the dominos: MN2 (RD) had to come across and chase; MN24 had been chasing, then realized he had to cover the far man but realized it late and was out of position. 

I don't understand MN4's play. 

2 hours ago, burd said:

_______ had a successful season, but it was not a success?

Now you're messing with us Olds, stoney.  :D

HA! Minnesota. Meaning they were stacked and with how good they were, they had one goal and that was to win the title. They had a successful season by all measures, but it wasn't a success. Following? :D

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Watched it again ...

The Q play in OT was magnificent, but would've been easily prevented if MN4 (LD) had held the blue instead of moving forward and outward opening up a passing lane. I still don't understand what he saw that he moved up. It was like he was playing "1-3-1 hold the red".

That move started the dominos: MN2 (RD) had to come across and chase; MN24 had been chasing, then realized he had to cover the far man but realized it late and was out of position. 

I don't necessarily fault the LD.  QU's right defenseman got the puck following the faceoff win, and drifted right to the boards under pressure from MN's left wing.  The QU right wing, by design of the play, went to the right boards, drawing a pinch up by MN's LD.  But that was the play for the MN LD.  He's there to pinch off a pass up the boards to the QU right wing.

The problem for MN was Nelson, in the center position.  Not only did he lose the draw, but he then lost his man the (QU center) who proceeded up the left wing and was there for the two on one pass.  If Nelson had stuck with him after losing the draw, there is no open player for QU to pass it to on the two on one.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Watched it again ...

He's been told 100 times as a d man since youth hockey to play inside the dots so he figured in OT he would test the outside the dots theory.  

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

HA! Minnesota. Meaning they were stacked and with how good they were, they had one goal and that was to win the title. They had a successful season by all measures, but it wasn't a success. Following? :D

Irish gangster Doyle Lonnegan's line from The Sting:   "Ya Folla?"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, burd said:

Irish gangster Doyle Lonnegan's line from The Sting:   "Ya Folla?"

That is an inner-circle HOF movie, with some classic music too. (Every second- or third-year piano student has played the theme to The Sting.)

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

He's there to pinch off a pass up the boards to the QU right wing.

Not at the cost of giving up a ‘seam up the dots’ pass to a breaking forward. If he was on the dots line that play goes D to D and the game goes more than ten seconds.