SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 National Championship Game: Quinnipiac vs. Minnesota

Kevin G

10 hours ago, siouxweet said:

It was interesting that when they asked Sean Ritchlin(sp) in the intermission who will win he said if MN does it will be in the first minute after that when it gets to 5-10 minutes in it will favor QU.   It was almost word for word what he said before Yale beat MN in the first 10 seconds in 2013.

And Barry said it definitely won't be a pretty goal to end it.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

A lot of Gopher fans complaining about the Cooley penalty, saying it's not a penalty.

I didn’t care for the call either if it’s the one I’m thinking of.  Anyhow the right team lost.  No hanging of #10 from DU or Mich. and BU n Goofs stay at 5.  Good job Q - couldn’t have asked more from you.  You made my season somewhat tolerable.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

I thought the coaching by Pecknold was a thing of beauty. Such a ballsy call pulling the goalie with three minutes to play. At the time he did that, I openly complained to my wife how that was the wrong decision. Goes to show why he’s the coach and I’m sitting on my living room couch. 

Edit: Not to mention, that set play to start the overtime (which I eventually got to see after the fact). Just a great piece of coaching in such a high pressure game with everything at stake. Hats off to coach Pecknold and of course, to his players who executed. 

I was thinking not again

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If he did that in the N he'd have to answer for it. Coincidental penalties, sure, but saying Cooley did nothing wrong is hilarious. 

The problem was the near ref basically said both or none - which I agree with at that pt. In the game n then the back ref has arm up - the optics looked bad there 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Clark17 said:

The problem was the near ref basically said both or none - which I agree with at that pt. In the game n then the back ref has arm up - the optics looked bad there 

What was the call?  Looked like holding to me.  He wrapped his arm.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Clark17 said:

It all evens out Gophers were the benefit of a PP earlier in the period on a call that could have gone either way as well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

It all evens out Gophers were the benefit of a PP earlier in the period on a call that could have gone either way as well.

Yeah, but you won’t hear Minny fans talking about that.

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

A lot of Gopher fans complaining about the Cooley penalty, saying it's not a penalty.

It was iffy…if anything both should have went.

But, there was that hooking call on Q a little while before that plus that hit earlier in the game. W was due for a PP 

1 hour ago, Clark17 said:

That makes sense. I didn't watch it live so didn't know that.

At the same time, when the champagne is so close you can taste it, don't give the stripes the opportunity to ref based on the score.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If he did that in the N he'd have to answer for it. Coincidental penalties, sure, but saying Cooley did nothing wrong is hilarious. 

I could see coincidental, but personally I think they got the call right. Cooley has multiple infractions they could have called versus just the hold from Quinnipiac. 

At the same time, when the champagne is so close you can taste it, don't give the stripes the opportunity to ref based on the score.

This is the big takeaway. It was boneheaded by Cooley to be engaged with the QU player at all. 

• Upvote 3

Exactly.  Under ten minutes left its almost don't touch anyone in the offensive end time.