SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks....Cows.....playoffs @ Baxter

Wilbur

8 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-looking-to-win-first-road-playoff-series-since-1995

Sioux haven't won a road playoff series since 1995...Lost to Minny and DU on the road in the quarterfinal rounds since then.

Who did the Sioux beat in 1995?  Winner gets a free Fighting Hawk oven mitt from Mafiaman's collection. (jk)

Um, not a tough dig: https://fightinghawks.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/schedule/1994-95 

For a long run, from like 1997 to just recently UND's season was ended by:

- loss to a team that eventually loses to NC
- direct loss to eventual NC
- no loss (NC) 

UND was no worse than two degrees from "Kevin Bacon" for quite a while. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

For a long run, from like 1997 to just recently UND's season was ended by:

- loss to a team that eventually loses to NC
- direct loss to eventual NC
- no loss (NC) 

UND was no worse than two degrees from "Kevin Bacon" for quite a while. 

So all is well?

image.jpeg.6cfed5e635a4f20f3a284f921c3a774e.jpeg

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Blaiser's first season behind the bench. When he squeezed 18 wins out of that team, I knew we had hired the right person.

Was that a pretty thin team, talent wise? I recall it being hyped up that UND had landed Landon Wilson. 

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

There hasn't been a ton to be positive about this year. After becoming a UND fan when I got to campus in 2003, we had home ice for the first round of the playoffs all through Hak's tenure, and at least the first year of Berry's. You know you can't be #1 every year, but for this program to ever be in the bottom half just seems so unacceptable to me.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this week. This team has just looked different over the past few weeks and hopefully players are gelling at the right time, and goaltending is figuring it out. You never know what can happen at this time of year and we have certainly seen some crazy things. If I recall there was a year where Hak barely snuck the team in and won the NCAA regional as a 4 seed. I believe it was the year we lost to MN with like .8 sec left to go to the championship. At least they got beat up by Union.

Humbling experiences can be a foundation for future success. Imagine we unconvincingly sweep a really bad team (e.g. Lindenwood) and then half of the people on this forum lambast the team/coaches. Let’s also imagine a few of their fans find their own way onto this forum, and read the things we say. Although disappointed with this season, I do remind myself regularly how great hockey at the Ralph has been these past 20 plus years. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Wilson was a sophomore on that 1994-95 team. He signed after that season and didn't do much at the next level.

17 pro seasons and 375 games played in the NHL. Is hardly Not “doing much at the next level”… I’m assuming you mean for a first round pick? He definitely had a roll to play at the next level and he played it very well. Perhaps one of the toughest Sioux of all time. One of the best to watch for a couple years. 

5 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

17 pro seasons and 375 games played in the NHL. Is hardly Not “doing much at the next level”… I’m assuming you mean for a first round pick? He definitely had a roll to play at the next level and he played it very well. Perhaps one of the toughest Sioux of all time. One of the best to watch for a couple years. 

I never heard much from him after he left. If he had been an All-Star talent, Foss/Schlossman would have talked about him more. Blais had no problem winning without him.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/uno/omaha-vs-north-dakota-the-playoff-battle-will-be-on-the-ice-and-in-fan/article_8be28c24-be83-11ed-bea6-db8282782d9e.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_OWHmavs

UNO trying to make it hard for UND fans to get tickets.

Those playoff tickets already were included in season-ticket packages, so that also was a positive. Ticket prices for all seats were set at $15 to make the playoffs affordable for families and casual fans.

A campus engagement group also is paying for 400 free student vouchers for each of the games.

“We want to make our barn as full as possible,” Dowell said. “And hopefully as full as possible with our fans.”

Some avid UNO fans are doing their best to keep those Baxter tickets away from invading North Dakota fans. They’ve been encouraging others on Twitter to buy up as many tickets as possible and then give them to friends who will cheer for the Mavs.

Keeping the green out of the arena will be a daunting task. The Fighting Hawks lead the nation in attendance, averaging almost 11,400 per game.

9 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I'm new to this tickets in the phone thing, app has a "put it in your Google wallet"....

Is that necessary?

Necessary? No.

I used to be skittish but now I move them from the account to the Apple Wallet before I head to the car to the game for the reason @siouxforce19gives. 

• Upvote 1